• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-09-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Kevin, my friend, you're going to look like a commercial for zombies after this...

and like the zombies that spread con-crud, you're probably going to be chased with torches and pitchforks, and plastic toy guns.

plus you completely missed asking Nina to take care of you. What's wrong with your brain?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
In the name of JRPGs, you gotta do what you gotta do. XP
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote=CareyGrant]What's worse than that, especially in the gamer/anime/manga populations, are the abuse of energy drinks, often which I see people drink like water...[/quote] Agreed... as convention staff, I've heard various horror stories about energy drink abuse among attendees. Like someone who got sick at a ramen-eating contest because they'd been keeping their stomach empty (energy drinks aside) to prepare, or someone who got sick and freaked out about the water tanks at the rave being spiked... because they'd been downing nothing but energy drinks and barely sleeping. People think they're a perfect substitute for food, water, and sleep, but they certainly aren't. I never even touch energy drinks myself, aside from good ol' Mountain Dew and other caffeinated sodas.

And yes, frequent handwashing and sanitizer use (especially after time in the gaming room) is a good way to fight con plague. I also try to avoid touching people and bathroom doors completely/
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

I'm also surprised no one's mentioned the biggest way to combat con sickness: WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN (or use hand sanitizer) and NEVER TOUCH YOUR FACE, MOUTH, OR NOSE with unclean hands. Unless someone is hacking up death right next to you, the greatest route towards infection is via bringing your infected hands towards your face or your food when you eat. At a con this is a huge nightmare with public doors and things held communally like game controllers and the like.

People think I'm strange because I go to PAX with boxes of disposable, nitrile exam gloves, but I use them (I also wash my hands), and I don't get sick.

(Author's Note: I have nitrile exam gloves because I'm going to Dental School, not because I'm some nutball serial killer.)

Also, drinking plenty of water, eating well, and getting enough sleep will insure you don't get some Con super bug that takes for ever to get rid of, or laughs in the face of most antibiotics (Like MRSA, but that's pretty rare outside of hospitals or hospital workers).

I drink a decent amount of beer (2 with breakfast, 2 with lunch, 3 with dinner) when I'm at conventions and I've never once gotten the least bit sick during or after a convention. So, I can confidently surmise that beer is the most effective tool to combating con crud, even more so than hand washing, which I only do after I use the bathroom. Then again, I don't go around touching a lot of stuff either, except for them beer mugs, so it's not an issue to me.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
What's worse than that, especially in the gamer/anime/manga populations, are the abuse of energy drinks, often which I see people drink like water...
Agreed... as convention staff, I've heard various horror stories about energy drink abuse among attendees. Like someone who got sick at a ramen-eating contest because they'd been keeping their stomach empty (energy drinks aside) to prepare, or someone who got sick and freaked out about the water tanks at the rave being spiked... because they'd been downing nothing but energy drinks and barely sleeping. People think they're a perfect substitute for food, water, and sleep, but they certainly aren't. I never even touch energy drinks myself, aside from good ol' Mountain Dew and other caffeinated sodas.

And yes, frequent handwashing and sanitizer use (especially after time in the gaming room) is a good way to fight con plague. I also try to avoid touching people and bathroom doors completely/

Other people... I'm sure issues with "con crud" would also be minimized if con goers kept up with basic hygiene and grooming. Over-application of deodorant and/or hosing yourself down with bad cologne are no substitute for bathing and changing your clothes every day.

Segue: Considering Kevin is not only sick but under an untested cocktail of prescription meds, "herbal supplements" (which aren't tested by the FDA for purity, adulteration or content--completely unregulated) and energy drinks, I predict our man is headed for a world of hurt.

I predict projectile vomiting or some serious head trip.
bellicosebreakfast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Who's advocating? Writers and artists do not necessarily advocate everything their characters do, and in this case Kevin is likely being set up for mild disaster.

Yes, you are correct. Writers/artists do not necessarily advocate the actions of their characters. However, they ARE responsible for them. They are responsible for the portrayal of the characters and the messages their readers walk away with.

In this case, yes, it seems Kevin is being set up for disaster, but (and this is guesswork, we'll see how it goes) it seems far more likely that the disaster will be the result of his unsafe use of energy drinks and his personal decline rather than the serious long-term effects unnecessary antibiotic use has on other people. And that's the issue.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
8:5 says this is a (zombie) virus.

Antibiotics don't do crap against viruses.

This was a joke.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, you have to "man up" and not let the sniffles deprive you of con awesomeness. If Madarame from Genshiken didn't give up on Comiket despite his broken wrist*, you shouldn't even consider not going just because the snot monster is attacking. Let us learn from our fictional "heroes" Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
I'm also surprised no one's mentioned the biggest way to combat con sickness: WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN (or use hand sanitizer)

Alcohol hand sanitizers aren't reliable against one of the nastier forms of con crud: noroviruses. Wash your hands with soap and water before every meal. That plus Passovoy's Rule (for every 24 hours you're at a con, get a minimum of 5 hours' sleep, 2 square meals, and one bath or shower) and giving any obvious zombie plague victims a wide berth will generally keep you healthy.

Other than that, what he said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
bellicosebreakfast wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
Who's advocating? Writers and artists do not necessarily advocate everything their characters do, and in this case Kevin is likely being set up for mild disaster.

Yes, you are correct. Writers/artists do not necessarily advocate the actions of their characters. However, they ARE responsible for them. They are responsible for the portrayal of the characters and the messages their readers walk away with.

In this case, yes, it seems Kevin is being set up for disaster, but (and this is guesswork, we'll see how it goes) it seems far more likely that the disaster will be the result of his unsafe use of energy drinks and his personal decline rather than the serious long-term effects unnecessary antibiotic use has on other people. And that's the issue.

It's just a comic strip, good lord.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bellicosebreakfast wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:

It's just a comic strip, good lord.

Spoiler alert: Kevin dies, thus everyone learns a valuable lesson about antibiotic misuse. Also 35 people are hospitalized from catching Kevin's illness, 2 die. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
... why do I have a feeling this will end worse than the time I had a vicodin and two energy drinks at a convention...
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
I'm also surprised no one's mentioned the biggest way to combat con sickness: WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN (or use hand sanitizer)

Alcohol hand sanitizers aren't reliable against one of the nastier forms of con crud: noroviruses. Wash your hands with soap and water before every meal. That plus Passovoy's Rule (for every 24 hours you're at a con, get a minimum of 5 hours' sleep, 2 square meals, and one bath or shower) and giving any obvious zombie plague victims a wide berth will generally keep you healthy.

Other than that, what he said.

Ah, the dreaded noroviruses; you're quite right, but a tiny bottle of alcohol sanitizer is a little more portable than a big ol' jug of bleach or chlorine-based disinfectant. It's better than nothing, but you're quite right.

I would hope even your most unhygienic con goer would have the good sense to wash their hands with soap and water after takin' a pooh, especially before eating.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
What does the Japanese on Kevin's shirt translate to in English?
braves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
What does the Japanese on Kevin's shirt translate to in English?
I think that's supposed to be "otaku" spelled in katakana.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4