• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Heat Guy J hits MTV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Well to a lot of people, the difference in country really isn't that much of an importance

And how you first implied to made you seem like you WERE trying to say Anime weren't the same as Cartoons. But eh, I don't care
VOX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Ultimately, I think this is a good thing. The more networks who pick up anime the better (CN can't afford the rights to them ALL). But considering MTV's track record, it'll be on for like 4 weeks and then just dissappear like the 20 or so previous cartoons MTV tried to show. Seriously though, what's up with that?! Is it MTV's poor advertising, or is it that MTV viewers have a 2-second attention span unless it's a reality show?
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it can play for 4 weeks, or it can be like MTV's other shows and play over and over and over and over and over... well you get what I'm saying.
But, if it does become a hit for them, I can't see it as anything but a good thing. If their first Anime series in a long time works out for them, that'd only lead to more, which sounds awesome to me. It'd sure be better than more Real-Road-Gauntlet-Band making-dance projects.
I just hope they don't make it "extreme" like the Initial D dub somebody previously pointed out. I could deffinately see that. A big robo-guy in a trench coat saying things like "Yous besta quit trippin, SUCKA!"
Wootang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
I just hope they don't make it "extreme" like the Initial D dub somebody previously pointed out. I could deffinately see that. A big robo-guy in a trench coat saying things like "Yous besta quit trippin, SUCKA!"

Man, that would definately not be a good thing to hear coming out of J's mouth. *shudders* I really hope they don't do much, if any, editing. Though, from what I've heard, they edited quite a bit of Aeon Flux when it was a part of Liquid Television. Granted, that was quite a few years ago so maybe MTV won't be snip-snip happy.

Regardless, it would certainly be a change of pace for MTV to show anime rather than every Real World episode ever conceived. Personally, I'm tired of seeing whiny twenty-somethings babble about how horrid their housemates are.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Wootang wrote:
Though, from what I've heard, they edited quite a bit of Aeon Flux when it was a part of Liquid Television. Granted, that was quite a few years ago so maybe MTV won't be snip-snip happy.

Actually, it works in reverse. MTV's only gotten more and more "PC" as the years went on, and thus have become edit-happy to a ridiculous extreme.

Funny thing, though...they'll gladly show dog shit in The Osbournes, naked men running around (Blink-182, Jackass), and a music video about a prepubescant kid sexually lusting after a woman four times his age (that "Stacy's Mom" tripe Confused ), but anything that might actually have artistic, dramatic, or politically/culturally poignant merit (like an animated program that doesn't center around fart jokes or other such sub-college toilet humour) is hacked to pieces for being "insensitive" or "controversial" (because we all know the only person allowed to be controversial these days is Eminem). Rolling Eyes

And no, I'm not saying this because they're going to show an anime, I've held this extremely low view of them for years now, and I fail to see it raising any time soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wootang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Actually, it works in reverse. MTV's only gotten more and more "PC" as the years went on, and thus have become edit-happy to a ridiculous extreme.

Sad You have a point and I did sort of forget about that concept. Maybe that's why I ceased watching the station. I think this weekend was the first time I had laid eyes on the channel in over six months. I used to actually take it off of my program line-up so I wouldn't be subjected to whatever asinine garbage they managed to think up. *sighs* One can still hope though, huh? But, like Nagisa pointed out, they'll probably whittle away anything remotely controversial in Heat Guy. *pauses* Which is a shame since it's such a smart and dramatic series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:03 am Reply with quote
Just my thoughts on the ANN update at http://www.jaggedteam.com/bin/shownews.cgi?id=3579
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
What's this about this series being renamed on MTV2 as 'the city guy'? and why would mtv2 get content? x_x we'll need a MTV3 in a year. Woo
Izlude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
If I was in charge of MTV, I'd rename in "The Family Guy" Laughing
arxane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
What's this about this series being renamed on MTV2 as 'the city guy'? and why would mtv2 get content? x_x we'll need a MTV3 in a year. Woo

I wonder...is "The City" Guy" maybe just the title of the first episode? Anyone know?
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:48 am Reply with quote
You know if MTV was real smart and wanted to tap into a new crowd and (dare i say it) make MTV a music channel again perhaps, they should allow an hour every now and then to put fan made AMV's on there. I am sure the companies who own the rights would love the publicity if there done well. It would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch, and totally surprise the world.

It could backfire, if the music artists start bugging for royalties and crap though....still its an idea!

But about Heat Guy J (which is good and colorful), MTV will fail in tapping the anime market. Anime fans are a lot smarter and far more diverse to be gathered in a net of anime the corporate fisherman would deem "hip."

Just for God's sake, don't let Naruto end up on MTV. Unless MTV Spring Break gets hosted by Jiraiya!
emory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Zeiram wrote:

I wonder...is "The City" Guy" maybe just the title of the first episode? Anyone know?

its the first ep
arzenal2003

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch it if i got some spare time. I see now how things are i saw a preview of Heat Guy J on some unknown channel and out knowhere MTV buys the rights to it very weird.
psychotrunks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
In my view, I see this as MTV trying to cash in on anime. Very evil
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
psychotrunks wrote:
In my view, I see this as MTV trying to cash in on anime. Very evil

Cartoon Network is also "cashing in" on anime by licensing shows for broadcast. Is CN also very evil?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4