• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman and the Column of Doom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rektagunn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Here's my 2 (or 5) cents to this:

Zac and ANN can do whatever the heck they want when it comes to "opinion" columns such as Answerman, although it is not entirely an opinion column since some of the answers pertain to objective facts (i.e. whether something is licensed, etc.).....

However......

I can't help but think that some of the abrasive comments at Answerman could discourage someone from getting into anime fandom....particularly those who are just starting getting into this fandom biz......and if that happens, then it's WRONG!
It is quite plausible for something like this to happen....I mean, for old folk such as myself....I really don't mind (nor care) what Zac thinks....but I could imagine someone who just started getting into anime and has a genuine question (albeit an ignorant / stupid question--according to Zac) about a particular series he or she likes, and that person is faced with character attacks along with an answer to his / her question. I don't know about you, but certain kinds of character attacks lend support to discouraging someone from embracing this wonderful fandom.............it's one thing to comment on an anime series, but it's another thing to clown and crap on someone for asking a question about an anime series..........
Some of you people take an "assumption of risk" position (ie. "if you read the previous answerman columns, you should know what to expect....so nyeh!").....Then again, the column is called "Answerman".....so a newbie could very well have stumbled upon this site without having knowledge of the "wrath of Zac" Wink ...........

Maybe a disclaimer would help, but my point is: a newbie could very well use this site for anime news / information, and the opinion of others regarding anime series (hence, the reviews column), but then that makes fun of certain people could turn them off from liking anime....of course there might be other factors that could turn them off, but the comments still had a role, and I think this is just wrong.

And this is the WWW after all....so everyone enter at their own risk, right? Well, all I got to say to that is I will never partake in any conduct that would discourage someone (especially newbies) from embracing this fandom....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3