• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theeonegook89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
For me, this anime reminds me of lucky star or azumanga daioh, theres really no climax point or a development of story, its all just good witty humor. Im up to episode 11 right now and its very enjoying up to here still.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote
The new season is starting soon!!! I am looking forward to this, I've watched up to episode 4 and it's a fantastic show, I love the bit with the "The Best of Enya" CD in the suicide kit and the line of stalkers down the street behind lamposts.
.::Lain::.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
I suppose you may not get how serious it really is, I have been clinically depressed (as in a recognised medical depression not just extreme cynicism kind of thing) and I have indeed thought about suicide (though I can't say I ever reached a point where it felt like a good idea...too much effort). No suicide is not funny.

You too? I one time in complete seriousness threatened to kill myself in front of my parents and sister, but I find the suicide jokes in this series hilarious. Part of the humor comes from the riduculousness of the teacher's overreaction to everyday things.

Also, I can't remember who said it, but "Tragedy is when I get a hangnail; comedy is when you fall down an open manhole and die." It's funny when it doesn't happen to you.

Itoshiki-sensei is plainly pathetic that's why the show is funny!!! His suicide over-reaction is part of the absurdity and this method has been used as a laughing-stock many ridiculous shows ago so I see no problem about this... Very Happy
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
The new season is starting soon!!! I am looking forward to this, I've watched up to episode 4 and it's a fantastic show, I love the bit with the "The Best of Enya" CD in the suicide kit and the line of stalkers down the street behind lamposts.

Unfortunately, the show really went downhill after that. In episode 7 or 8, they dragged one gag out for about 3 minutes, and it wasn't very funny to begin with. There are a few funny moments here and there, but it just wasn't enough to keep me watching. I stopped watching after episode 8 and as far as I know, no one has subbed beyond episode 9.
Truered

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
I watched the first four episodes at my anime society, and for the first time joined in with the laughing (moderately from me Wink )

I've currently seen the first six episodes of this and I've enjoyed the black humor quite a bit, though it's a bit eerie as at times I feel I'm staring at myself on the screen Confused

You could have killed me!
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I stopped watching after episode 8 and as far as I know, no one has subbed beyond episode 9.

Somehow I was able to finish watching it. An anonymous subber fansubbed 10 and 11 and someone provided a translation for the last episode in code form to make a subtitle file.

I liked the show. Even with the weird prolonged gags and all. The humor is definitely different and I like the invented/assumed/imagined problems that the characters have to face/ignore/deal with, and the zany round about way it goes about actually manging to somehow/sort of end each episode. I'm down for a look at a second season.
cogknack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
yeah a.f.k. got 10 up last week or so. I really like this show a lot but its hard to get my friends to sit through it which left me in despair for awhile but I got over it. I like mediocre stuff like this.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Hilariously done, with plenty of fanservice even in the opening song. I'm going to pick up the manga as well, but I also think that the cast that was put in the series was selected to the utmost of the crew's ability to provide us with this great comedy. I hope to catch more as time goes on Cool
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
loved this show. i saw the first five episodes or so- maybe six. And I just kind of forgot about it. I'll try to pick it up again- but what with the opening theme and such, i'm not sure who could pick this up.

And I wish they'd replace the face with the english director. But thats not a requirement
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
i've seen season one and now up to episode 4 on season two and its great, its anime for ADHD kids
demonroach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think this series starting off extremely funny and with a WHOLE LOT of potential. Unfortunately, none of that potential is used in any way, and the series quickly dies out before even half of it is finished...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the series does lose it's bite after a couple of episodes. Zetsubou-sensei goes from suicidal to just depressed and hyper-sensitive. It still has it's moments, and the first couple episodes of the second season are a little better than the tail end of the first (but not as good as the first couple of episodes).
Thanks to some of the extras on the AMG DVDs, I got the Inoue Kikuko-"17 years old" joke. That made the episode so much better than it would have been. It seems like a lot of the enjoyment comes from catching the references like that, something more difficult for a foreign audience.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
i've notice that too, that he isnt as suicidal anymore........but episode 4 was funny because spoiler[it was all about people forgetting the main plot. so when they showed the main plot first and then the sub-story after that, that included alot of fanservice. alot of people did forget the main story]
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
You know ... I used to think Kannagi was pretty freakin' awesome. and Toradora is damn cute.

But then ... Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei shows up ... and you realize just how high ... HOW HIGH ... the bar is really raised when it comes to comedy.

spoiler[Okay, the whole theory of otaku being immune to the "honey trap," that's pretty normal. But then they do the bootleg Haruhi and Lucky Star stuff and that kills me. And I thought that would be the high point of the episode. The whole "secret off-air battle" segment was pretty labored and not that great. But the one on things not staying true to the original? ... where they showed the (blurred-out) photo of CARDBOARD GUNDAM GUY? That is RIDICULAWESOME! Balls of steel! And using Michael Jackson as the quintessential example of not staying true to the original! THAT IS JUST ... y'know. ] Well. I've been watching a lot of stuff the past few seasons. Always keep several series running. But one episode ... just ONE ... of Zetsubou Sensei makes me laugh harder than anything I've seen the last 8 months.
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I have seen 3 episodes so far and loved them. It is probably the most nonchalantly edgy thing I have seen, just three episodes in there have been jokes about suicide, stalking, pedophilia, illegal immigration (I can't quite make up my mind if the character designs were racist or not) and homelessness. All of which could be extremely offensive if not done so cutely the cynic in me is forecasting that it will run out of steam about half way through the first season but I have my fingers crossed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4