• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Summer Kamp

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immortalrite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Erin Finnegan wrote:
As with other Blu-rays, I've noticed the character animation was better off at standard definitions.

Eh? Shocked

Could you please elaborate?
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Kampfer is a trashy show, but I loved it. I noticed that of late, standard normal male ero-comedies don't get made anymore. Everything has to have some kind of shtick. But the good ones, like Baka Test or Kampfer introduce the shtick (Quiz Fight or Random Team Battle, respectively), and then ignore it for the majority of the show, concentrating on the romantic comedy. I guess they need the fantasy gimicks to pick up an audience, but most of the show is plain old ero-comedy, which is so much better than another Ikkitousen type show. Basically, Kampfer is like "Low budget magic battle" for three episodes and "Screw the fighting, let's go on a date" for nine, which is a very nice balance.

Wow, you've sold me!

I've avoided 12 Kingdoms up till now, because I'm not a fan of high fantasy, and fans of the genre tend to rate these things higher than they deserve, purely based on their pleasure at the fantasy setting. When I see a talking mouse with a sword, you're gonna need a lot of persuasion to convince me to stick around...

Also - pumpkin beer? Shocked
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Also - pumpkin beer? Shocked

Spiced beers are fantastic!! (Well, some more than others.) Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is a favorite of mine.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
I've given Twelve Kingdoms a couple chances, but I just can't stand it. It's the only series I've ever watched where I've actually hated the main character.

Starting with episode 15 there's a new main character, and the previous protagonist only gets the occasional cameo (and by then her personality has completely changed). So if you're up for a third chance.... I'm just saying. I also thought Yoko was totally annoying at first.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
I plan to watch Spice and Wolf, but I am usually a total sub guy, but I am concerned if I will be able to keep up with economics talk through subs... How much work does it take to watch it subbed?

I had a hard time keeping up with the economics when I tried watching episodes subbed...

Julia-the-Great wrote:
I only own part 2 (on DVD), though, and for a long time I've wanted to buy part 1. So my question for Erin is, you say that the animation doesn't look the hottest on the BluRay. Does that mean I'd be better off just buying the DVD set (most likely used) rather than the BluRay, or just buy the BluRay? I'd like to have it looking as nice as possible.

The backgrounds look amazing on BD, but the characters suffer... so I guess it kind of balances out and you end up breaking even. Higher budget episodes look better all-around.

immortalrite wrote:
Erin Finnegan wrote:
As with other Blu-rays, I've noticed the character animation was better off at standard definitions.

Eh? Shocked

I don't think my PS3 can do screencaps... or can it?

But basically, I think there's this thing that happens with shows that came out before HDTV (and to some extent K-On), where the character animation wasn't meant to be seen that sharply. The ink lines (like the outlines) end up not looking quite right, as if "paint" has spilled out of the lines on a half-assed "cell". I should get screencaps somehow to show what I'm talking about.

One-Eye wrote:
Quote:
and somehow almost all of the girls are total lesbians, and they actually use the word “lesbian” and are totally aggressive.

So? Is there something wrong with the word lesbian? Or that they are aggressive lesbians as opposed to having sweetness and flowers and sparkles all the time? Maybe, its part of the joke? Yea, its kinda of a tired one in anime, but its par for the course.

It seems like I've seen other shows where they never use the word "lesbian" and instead say things like "She's that way" or "likes girls" without putting the actual label on a character. I can't recall characters using the word lesbian in Kasimasi a couple weeks ago, but I could be wrong.
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

immortalrite wrote:
Erin Finnegan wrote:

Eh? Shocked

But basically, I think there's this thing that happens with shows that came out before HDTV (and to some extent K-On), where the character animation wasn't meant to be seen that sharply. The ink lines (like the outlines) end up not looking quite right, as if "paint" has spilled out of the lines on a half-assed "cell". I should get screencaps somehow to show what I'm talking about.

so, iow, they did a hackjob on the BD production?

not that I have the title, but if they didn't botched the BD-production, maybe it's a setting on your PS/3 or your tv or something?

fwiw, i would've expected grain and stuff to try to correlate with your pre-hdtv beliefs, but just not the stuff you wrote there.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
12 Kingdoms seems like a clever, expansive, intricate fantasy epic; the sort of thing that I could watch at my leisure over a fair span of time. I've been slipping into the mood for that kind of thing lately.

12 Kingdoms is exactly how you described, and the "I hated Youko at first" reaction that many have been voicing is very common, perhaps even prevalent. As others have noted, the degree of character growth and development she undergoes over the course of the series is nothing short of astounding. (Youko is not the only major character who sees that kind of progression, either. Two girls introduced in the third arc follow similar paths to self-improvement.) That's why the final scene of episode 39, which represents the climax of both the third arc and the entire series to that point, is widely-regarded as one of the all-time-great anime scenes.

Quote:
It's a pity that the English dub isn't exemplary, but that's a flaw that I can either withstand or circumvent.

You'll get widely mixed opinions on this. IIRC, the Japanese director is on record as saying that he not only liked but actually preferred the English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kämpfer is surprisingly close to being softcore hentai compared to the average ero-comedy.

I'm not sure why some people are so quick to label something as softcore. Just because some of the girls like Shizuku are aggressive in trying to (playfully) seduce Natsuru does not mean ZOMG-borderline-hentai Regardless of whether you like the show or not, objectively speaking, this show is not even close and is in fact on par with and is more often tamer than many others. It doesn't even have any nudity whatsoever for crying out loud (hence the tv-14 rating Sentai gave it)
immortalrite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Thanks for responding. I think I understand what you're getting at. The reason this surprised me is because I do know that 12 Kingdoms was in fact animated in high definition. Perhaps since it was one of the first all-digital HD productions the animation staff didn't know exactly what they were doing and made some now fairly obvious mistakes, as you said in terms of edge smoothness and whatnot; I don't know if 12 Kingdoms was initially broadcast in HD, but I imagine that most common folk were also watching it on standard definition TVs back in 2002.

Personally I have found this issue to be more prevalent with HD transfers of film masters, especially fairly mid-to-low budget animation like Dragon Ball. I suppose it comes down to a preferential dispute as to whether or not you want the full on HD picture "warts and all" or the "softened" SD picture sans all the little imperfections. Personally I still have a hard time seeing how SD compression of native HD content can look "better" in a general sense, but hey, whatever.
TC-man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who think that Youko was never annoying (I watched the DVD version with English subtitle+ Japanese audio). To me Youko was a girl who's easily influenced by her socalled friends, and she pretty much "lived her life according other people's expectations" or following role models etc.. And about her naturally red hair, I thought her hair wasn't red at first, but it changed to red because she has kinda become of age (I might be wrong since I watched the show long ago), and in the Twelve Kingdoms she also changed from appearances and got a more tanned skin too. I really like the character development of Youko, her character's growth is so awesome and is really making this anime really worth watching (in 2nd part of Twelve Kingdoms).

The most annoying character in the Twelve Kingdoms is the anime original male character (Ikuya?) who somehow was transported to the World of the Twelve Kingdoms, he's really a useless character that doesn't do much to the story/plot; the other annoying character is the girl (Yuka?) who also went to the Twelve Kingdoms; I thought she has a really minor role in the novel, but in the anime she's Youko's rival.

Also the Twelve Kingdoms has great and beautiful music, so if you got the chance you really need to buy the soundtrack CDs.

As for never finshing the anime of Twelve Kingdoms, I have heard that there some incidents that the people who worked on this anime all became sick, some even said it's somekind of curse. Does anyone know more about this?
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I plan to watch Spice and Wolf, but I am usually a total sub guy, but I am concerned if I will be able to keep up with economics talk through subs... How much work does it take to watch it subbed?

The lengthy and slightly crunchy economics jargon is part of the reason that I personally prefer the dub for Spice and Wolf. I had to pause/back-up while reading the subtitles too often. Of course, this is partially because of my old eyes and small TV... Smile

However, I also prefer J. Michael Tatum's performance of Lawrence to Jun Fukuyama's. I find it to have more breadth and more passion. Ami Koshimizu's Holo is a work of art, but that doesn't mean that Brina Palencia doesn't do a fantastic job. Her haughty, slightly formal way of speaking sets Holo apart from those around her in a similar way that the archaic dialog that I have heard Ami uses does for the Japanese dub. Unfortunately, I don't understand Japanese, so the subtleties of that performance are lost on me. I know that it is very, very good, but Brina's is also very, very good and the added bonus of not having to pause to get the gist of what they are saying pushes the dub over the edge for me.

Spice and Wolf is one of my very favorite shows. I pre-ordered the BluRay/DVD so I could get it ASAP and was fortunate enough, in a bizarre way, to fall prey to a nasty upper respiratory virus in early September, so I spent my time off work watching one of my favorite shows in absolutely breathtaking 1080p! Is it weird to be happy that I was sick?
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
Am I the only one who think that Youko was never annoying (I watched the DVD version with English subtitle+ Japanese audio).

I didn't think she was all that annoying, either. It's a much more realistic reaction to one moment being in high school and the next moment being in a completely alien world where EVERYONE is trying to kill you. If I were in her shoes, I'd probably be having the same meltdowns.

She's a much more human character, with human faults, and it makes the transformation she goes through during the course of the series, from an insecure, unhappy teenage girl, into a strong, independent woman capable of being the ruler of a kingdom, that much more meaningful.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
Kämpfer is surprisingly close to being softcore hentai compared to the average ero-comedy.

I'm not sure why some people are so quick to label something as softcore. Just because some of the girls like Shizuku are aggressive in trying to (playfully) seduce Natsuru does not mean ZOMG-borderline-hentai Regardless of whether you like the show or not, objectively speaking, this show is not even close and is in fact on par with and is more often tamer than many others. It doesn't even have any nudity whatsoever for crying out loud (hence the tv-14 rating Sentai gave it)

That comment made me raise an eyebrow too. Hey, I felt a rental shelf rating was more than fair, but to say it's close to softcore levels? I guess if you think any title that has fanservice is close to softcore, then I can see where you're coming from, but I don't really recally Kampfer having nudity scenes. It's been awhile since I've seen it, so perhaps I've just forgotten. Still, if something is going to be considered softcore, or even close to it, there better be some naked boobs being shown, and not in the "covered up, just about shown, but not quite" way, but "yup, there's naked boobs, no doubt about it" sort of way. At any rate, I know that these kind of shows aren't Erin's cup of tea, so I take the reviews of them with a grain of salt.

Oh, and Erin, what do you think of the Sam Adams Harvest Ale? That's the first and only pumpkin beer I've tried, and I quite enjoyed it, so I was wondering how you felt it stacked up against others.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Look on the bright side everyone, all this positive feedback cult status of Kampfer could convince Sentai to go back and dub it.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
12 Kingdoms seems like a clever, expansive, intricate fantasy epic; the sort of thing that I could watch at my leisure over a fair span of time. I've been slipping into the mood for that kind of thing lately.

12 Kingdoms is exactly how you described, and the "I hated Youko at first" reaction that many have been voicing is very common, perhaps even prevalent. As others have noted, the degree of character growth and development she undergoes over the course of the series is nothing short of astounding. (Youko is not the only major character who sees that kind of progression, either. Two girls introduced in the third arc follow similar paths to self-improvement.) That's why the final scene of episode 39, which represents the climax of both the third arc and the entire series to that point, is widely-regarded as one of the all-time-great anime scenes.

I'll echo that. Of my three anime-watching friends, two loved this series and the other stopped watching after the first six episodes because Youko just got on her nerves too much. Thus, she missed all the character development. Recently, we showed her episodes 38 and 39 and while she finally admitted that Youko had indeed grown up, it had just taken too long for her interest to be kept. *Shrug* To each their own I guess. I still love just sitting down and watching Episode 39 again from time to time, just because Youko is so awesome in that episode.

Key wrote:
Quote:
It's a pity that the English dub isn't exemplary, but that's a flaw that I can either withstand or circumvent.

You'll get widely mixed opinions on this. IIRC, the Japanese director is on record as saying that he not only liked but actually preferred the English dub.

Interesting that he thought so. While I thought the English voice of Youko was reasonably good, I just didn't think she had the same power behind the role that Hisakawa Aya did, especially in the climactic scene of Episode 39.

Erin Finnegan wrote:
On my first watch-through I was annoyed with Yoko's continual crying, so I was glad the producers included the non-novel character Sugimoto. Sugimoto likes to read epic fantasy, and she's thrilled to be transported to sword-and-sorcery land. I'm not sure I like the ending Sugimoto's character comes to in this season, but I can understand why they went there.

Strictly speaking, Sugimoto is actually in the novel, but only in the scene in the classroom in the very start where she's being teased by the other girls in the class and after that she's never heard from again. Asano, on the other hand, is a completely original character who was never in the novels, as in the novels, Youko attended an all-girls school.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

That's heartening to read. I imagine that I'll either be able to endure Yōko being annoying or in fact appreciate it. I can be patient and I admire good portrayals of normal people reacting to radical upsets of the familiar with real fear and uncertainty, rather than inhuman bravado and insouciance from the first, which is why Sarah was my favorite character in Now and Then, Here and There and what made the first few episodes of Red Garden so compelling for me. I don't expect that either of those will be a close match to Yōko, but if it's in the same family, so to speak, as those and not drawn out beyond dramatic tolerance, though not necessarily realism, I should be at least content.

Key wrote:
Quote:

It would be interesting to hear a more detailed opinion from the director, but regardless of that, I'm wiling to give your opinion credit since I it's usually close to mind on English dubs, whereas Erin Finnegan and I seem to hear these things more differently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I love Spice and Wolf as a whole. Its a change of pace and story. I'm interested and majored in business so I find that aspect of the show entertaining with trading, making business deals, and measuring risk. Twelve Kingdoms is much the same way but in a different aspect. Its in my top 10 shows. Great art, story, music and characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4