• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
blackseer wrote:
Do otaku like stuff like Sponge Bob and others American cartoons? I'm asking this because I went to a seminar once where it was said that the most important thing about children's television in the US (I guess most of the sitcoms too) is that they are character driven.

And it's funny because what made me watch anime in the first place was that most of them was plot (I like to call it overall story, but I'm not native English speaker, so what do I know) driven, against the US cartoons.

See "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic"

Which is actually being fansubbed in Japanese right now: [EDIT: Fansub links are not allowed, even if they're not for anime. - Key]

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Gingin wrote:
...And I'm definitely not buying an entire console just to play ONE awesome game.

what are you 14?? "no offense really" but not owning a ps2 or more than one console in this late gen is kinda silly

Odd post...I am an adult and I don't own a single console. In general society, owning video game consoles isn't considered a sign of maturity, but the opposite.

Konopan wrote:
I'm watching Boku Tomodachi for the hatin', not particularly the girls. Buriki's style doesn't impress me, either.

Am I allowed to do that?
Does that make me a radical variable in the game of otaku statistics?

Unless someone's paying for product, they're not a statistic that matters to the production machine.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
In general society, owning video game consoles isn't considered a sign of maturity, but the opposite.

Uh, bullcrap, considering how many games are aimed and at widely enjoyed by older players. Games are mainstream now, remember? They aren't some obscure little "children and nerds in basements" hobby anymore.

Also, just wanna say, yeah, Maken-Ki is fixing to be pretty foul. And knowing who's directing it, I give it another episode or two before some girl pisses herself.
merr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Gingin wrote:
...And I'm definitely not buying an entire console just to play ONE awesome game.

what are you 14?? "no offense really" but not owning a ps2 or more than one console in this late gen is kinda silly

Odd post...I am an adult and I don't own a single console. In general society, owning video game consoles isn't considered a sign of maturity, but the opposite.

Say's the person with a my little pony avatar...

The OP's point was that unless you're living on an 8th grader's allowance, it's fairly easy to spend whatever paltry amount of money it takes to buy a used PS2+copy of P4.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, and I could have gone out and bought a Super Nintendo to play the Stargate game. I used an emulator instead.

I would recommend buying the game and then downloading a PS2 emulator. Any up to date computer should easily be capable of emulating a PS2, and PS2 games come on an ordinary CD, so can be read on a normal computer as well.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
[quote="einhorn303"]
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
blackseer wrote:
Do otaku like stuff like Sponge Bob and others American cartoons? I'm asking this because I went to a seminar once where it was said that the most important thing about children's television in the US (I guess most of the sitcoms too) is that they are character driven.

And it's funny because what made me watch anime in the first place was that most of them was plot (I like to call it overall story, but I'm not native English speaker, so what do I know) driven, against the US cartoons.

See "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic"

Which is actually being fansubbed in Japanese right now: [EDIT: Fansub links are not allowed, even if they're not for anime. - Key]

But I'm sure clips of fan dubs fall under fair use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM2YYrHdTFo&feature=BFa&list=ULXakZDXVcrrU&index=2
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Who ever owns Strawberry Shortcake needs to try marketing it to this audience as well.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
In general society, owning video game consoles isn't considered a sign of maturity, but the opposite.

Uh, bullcrap, considering how many games are aimed and at widely enjoyed by older players. Games are mainstream now, remember? They aren't some obscure little "children and nerds in basements" hobby anymore.

Also, just wanna say, yeah, Maken-Ki is fixing to be pretty foul. And knowing who's directing it, I give it another episode or two before some girl pisses herself.

pretty much the reason i dropped zac's favorite anime kiss x sis.

This is a bit of rebuttal but owning a game system is sign more of eh wealth and status not so much maturity. I do own all there major consoles and a gaming pc "even though I only play vn's most of the time" however gaming is mainstream like you said and hell I have a wii in every room with netflix instead of cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I bought a PS2 new (still being sold I think) just to play Sakura Wars 4.
Persona 4 and 3 FES were a very happy bonus (loved Sakura Wars 4 btw).

Easily the best console rpg I have played, and that is coming from a big fan of the original Dragon Age.

Rewatched the P4 episode today, and again, I must say that I really like Chie's Japanese voice, it is quite different from the game dub.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I don't know why Maken-ki was given a higher score. It feels like nothing more than censor fodder.

The other three reviewers beside me gave it an average score of 1, and you're complaining because it got one decent score? Just treat that as an aberration if you're that hung up about. Besides, it's still a better series than C3 and those who like harem fan service shows should appreciate it.

As a person who actually likes fare like Freezing, the first ep of Maken-Ki! convinced me that it is right up my alley. In fact, it and Shakugan no Shana III are the only series to premier so far that I'm certain that I will be following. (Although Fate/Zero is also a contender if its second ep looks good.)

I wasn't complaining. I was just replying to someone else's complaint, which was right before my post. Probably should've quoted from'em, but, then again, I don't really care.

More bandwidth!

Oh, and, from the looks of the raws, the first episode of Majikoi seems to really be a trick. So, heads up (pun may be intended)
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I almost died when that random blob guy in Horizon was on screen. This immediately became the show I'm most looking forward to following this season. Screw all of your ivory tower judgements, Horizon is a silly ass show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
I almost died when that random blob guy in Horizon was on screen. This immediately became the show I'm most looking forward to following this season. Screw all of your ivory tower judgements, Horizon is a silly ass show.

Whoa everyone look out, this guy's stickin' it to the man!
blackseer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Watched the second episode of Fate/Zero and it's great. There are tons of good animation, the real ones not just talking, and the introduction of many characters I enjoy. So, if anyone had doubts about it, this episode should settle it as a must see.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Senjou No Horizon, #1 show of 2011 bet it.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
In popularity there is a good chance of that, considering the audience is built in.

In terms of my own personal tastes not a chance in space.

Yep, I have just read some more Asimov. Foundation, in fact. There is no breast grabbing and almost no female characters.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Gingin wrote:

lol if you hadn't quoted that I wouldn't have noticed, this thread moves fast.

Also...LOL. Questioning the maturity of a person for not having tons of video game consoles. Laughing

I don't care how cheap a copy of the game and a PS2 is now. I am NOT going to buy an entire bloody console just to play a SINGLE game.

I could try a PS2 emulator...but in that case, why not just download Person 4 instead?

Quote:
Uh, bullcrap, considering how many games are aimed and at widely enjoyed by older players.

Fun fact. M rating =/= aimed at older players. Anyone whose played stuff like CoD or GOW(space marines) or the other GOW(DmC clone) can tell you that they have materials that warrant a M rating, but they're anything but "mature". Most stuff in mature games are often stuff a 12 year old boy would enjoy the most.

As for this thread and anime...............damn there's a lot of anime this season compared to the last. I wish there was a way to keep a list of anime I'm watching...I only expected to like a small number.

Is this also the season that's airing the final episode of Zero No Tsukaima?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 43