• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
One thing that really scares me about this whole thing is that if this is a Kira-wannabe, does it mean s/he's planning on making this a killing spree? Light practically basked in the media attention (OK, not really), and it was one of the things that especially kept him at it-- the idea that the entire world knew and feared his judgement. If this psychopath thinks that he too is passing "judgement," then this kind of stuff might continue. Horrible.

Although the sheer immaturity of this killer makes me almost think that it's not a matter of "judgement" as much as it is "Wow, Death Note's so cool! I want to be a cool killer like Light!"

...Kids ruin EVERYTHING, I swear.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

...Kids ruin EVERYTHING, I swear.

What makes you think it's a kid?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Between the ax murder that cause Hiragshi Kai preempted and this new situation. You can not say that TV do not afftect choices mentally

I can. Once again: People make their own choices. Tv doesn't say: Kill people now!

And...I could have sworn in Death Note people weren't dismembered. I think they've got the wrong manga. I wonder if when they catch this person they're going to say they were influenced by someone with a Death Note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
What makes you think it's a kid?

Nah, I didn't actually mean that.

Quote:
I can. Once again: People make their own choices. Tv doesn't say: Kill people now!

*cough* Unless it does. But this wasn't a case of that.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
SIGH

This person is either totally crazy or trying to get attention. Why can't people ruin media that I don't like?
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Between the ax murder that cause Hiragshi Kai preempted and this new situation. You can not say that TV do not afftect choices mentally

And...I could have sworn in Death Note people weren't dismembered. I think they've got the wrong manga. I wonder if when they catch this person they're going to say they were influenced by someone with a Death Note.

The killer probably went with the dismembering method because he/she realized that he/she could not magically give people heart attacks
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
SIGH

This person is either totally crazy or trying to get attention. Why can't people ruin media that I don't like?
That very immature thinking. Are you in the minds of these people? To be blunt TV and media can trigger mental problems. Stop thinking that someone is always trying to ruin something for you.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
What was that old cliché about one bad apple? Wait, why is there a crowd heading this way with a large tub of hot tar?
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
naruto fan 09812 wrote:

I didn't say TV make choices for people. But I did say TV do trigger mental problems that cause radical thinking.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I doubt Death Note influenced the person too much in this case, since the method is so dissimilar from the actual anime. It's probably someone who was already very disturbed, and would've killed and made a reference to ANY violent media. If it wasn't Death Note, it would've been Halo 3 or some horror movie or some violent lyrics. It's unfortunate that Death Note was (or appears to have been) the trigger this time, but I don't think it means the show is responsible for the killings. Particularly since, as people have pointed out, anyone that's mature and emotionally sound can easily tell that the show is about how killing DOESN'T promote justice, and in fact makes you just as bad as those you claim you're bringing justice to.

I don't think this should or will affect the [as] showing of Death Note. I'd feel a little more neutral if this event happened here in the states, but it's in another country and has only a vague connection to the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Qaenyin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll concede that people can be inspired to take actions based on what they see in media.

HOWEVER, that said, media can not create problems that are not already present. It's like a brushfire:A spark wont catch anything without something that's flammable to land on.

But nonetheless the fault lies, if with anyone, with either the individual taking the action or those supervising the individual(parents for example). Not with the media that served as the trigger.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
One thing that really scares me about this whole thing is that if this is a Kira-wannabe, does it mean s/he's planning on making this a killing spree? [...] If this psychopath thinks that he too is passing "judgement," then this kind of stuff might continue. Horrible.

Quoted for truth.

Another scary aspect is I wonder what kind of people is he/she targeting. What are the criteria you must meet in order for him/her to think that you no longer belong in the relm of the living. What kind of thing is he/she looking for in the people that are targeted.

Kinda very scary. How many of us would possess such traits in the killers minds-eye.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
subaru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
ichiro3923 wrote:
You know what this means:

We have to make sure that the Death Note manga and anime does not show in the US or anywhere else because for sure the anime/manga is responsible for destroying the fragile mind of the killer, and it's not the responsibility of the killer at all.

No, dude, I totally agree with you. It's the killer's fault and definitely not the manga's. The problem is, while the manga probably doesn't have any effect on sane, stable-minded adults, it CAN influence those who are too young or already too mentally unstable to know the difference between fiction and reality. And it would be wrong to force people to be able to pass a mental health test in order to purchase a volume of manga (and those things are hella subjective anyway). It would also be wrong to forbid sane, stable-minded adults from purchasing this material. It looks like the only route left (both ethically and logically/logistically) for society is to allow the perpetuation of Death Note and related materials to continue, at the possible risk that some absolutely deranged lunatic will act on his distorted interpretations of what he's read. Which is tragic, and what happened in this instance.

well, this is just the same as blaming the shooting up and violent games for all the violent and gun related crimes.

they didn't pull all those games out from the market, they can't take death note away.
Qaenyin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Most people with that sort of mindset find flaws in trivial things, much like the aforementioned flunkie(I forget his name currently and don't have my D-N mangas handy).

Like "Oh that teenager is bullying that kid." despite almost every kid in school doing some level of bullying and fighting throughout their school career.

Usually it's just a matter of them viewing the world from a very one-sided perspective, like any fanatic.
LoOpiNg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
but in the anime, did the line "watashi wa kira desu" even occur?

there's the famous "watashi wa L desu" line in the university but that's it?

even when Light admitted to it, he used boku and not watashi right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7