• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Besides, even in this Belgian case, the murderer could have been using "Watashi wa Kira dess" as a diversion to mislead investigators.

Some facts about this new from a Belgian resident :
- Two thighs and part of a pelvis were found in a park. It is not yet known if the two thighs belong to the same body/person.
- The body parts were put there less than 6 hours before they were found (i.e. in broad daylight), and they were not in a state of decomposition
- According to the newspaper, two notes were found near the body parts (in the same park). It is not know yet if these notes have anything to do with the murder. This information was not confirmed by the police.
- The death penalty is scrapped from the Belgian law.

Let's not jump to conclusions that the killer was influenced by the manga. Leaving the concerned note might indeed as well been a morbid joke or a diversion to the investigators.
It's still a creepy idea that such people live very near to where you live.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote
This kinda reminds me on how Matrix Trilogy served as the primary influence to the killers during the Columbine High School shootings and to the Virginia Tech incidents.

But again, this served as an influence ONLY to those who took it waaaaaaay overboard.

For majority of us sane people, that won't be the case. Very Happy. As long as their is self-control, healthy presence of mind and PROPER support and guidance from friends, parents and relatives (especially to teenagers), then we sane people will stay sane iregardless of what is happening.

P.S.
Otherwise, you'd see thousands to millions of people going on a rampage right now all over the world. But is it happening right now?

Fortunately, except for dicks like Jack Thompson, this is not the case.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
britannicamoore and kyokun703:

Oh come off it. Without a doubt its stupid to be happy that something with the potential to cause major controversy has happened just because you don't like Death Note, especially since it would likely reflect poorly on Anime in genral. However, obviously he isn't saying he's glad someone is dead or that it makes it okay for that matter. I mean come on. (for that matter, its fairly obvious he's partially joking too.)

If he is joking, then I apologize, but I see nothing in his post that leads me to believe he is joking, especially since he states it brings him joy when bad news happens to anime he hates, and he hates yaoi/shonen-ai with every fibre of his being and wants major crimes committed in its name. If nothing else, it's a joke made in poor taste.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Dude, I will totally grab a machine gun on xmas and go to a random mall and start firing and yelling "Yaoi and shonen ai loli made me do it" so Yaoi and shonen ai will be banned from this country because it makes you firing guns on xmas on crowds....

But don't they use guns in other ways in yaoi....
In fact yeah, it's in Yamane's very lovely art book that I have where the one boy has a gun shoved into the other's underwear....

I think yaoi would get one locked up for other crimes than mass murder
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
LoOpiNg wrote:
but in the anime, did the line "watashi wa kira desu" even occur?

there's the famous "watashi wa L desu" line in the university but that's it?

even when Light admitted to it, he used boku and not watashi right?

You're probably reading too far into it, they're only the rabblings of a grade A nutjob (ex. see VEGANDARAE's post).

SharinganEye wrote:
At least Belgium doesn't have Jack Thompson.

No, but Thompson won't get anywhere near this, he's got..."other things" on this mind right now. He seems to think Belgium is in the Netherlands too. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
britannicamoore and kyokun703:

Oh come off it. Without a doubt its stupid to be happy that something with the potential to cause major controversy has happened just because you don't like Death Note, especially since it would likely reflect poorly on Anime in genral. However, obviously he isn't saying he's glad someone is dead or that it makes it okay for that matter. I mean come on. (for that matter, its fairly obvious he's partially joking too.)

If he is joking, then I apologize, but I see nothing in his post that leads me to believe he is joking, especially since he states it brings him joy when bad news happens to anime he hates, and he hates yaoi/shonen-ai with every fibre of his being and wants major crimes committed in its name. If nothing else, it's a joke made in poor taste.

In other words, if it happens, i laugh in the face of the "defamated"

i find it rather acurate to say this is ONLY the beginning for such things, afterall Death Note is so "goth dark" that i wont be surprised anymore if i find self righteous suicide group parties in the future.
Quote:
I think yaoi would get one locked up for other crimes than mass murder

like mass sodomization in the name of "put strong fanbase yaoi pairing here"?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:

i find it rather acurate to say this is ONLY the beginning for such things, afterall Death Note is so "goth dark" that i wont be surprised anymore if i find self righteous suicide group parties in the future.

Well, for one thing, suicide doesn't feature too much in the manga, so I'm not sure how the two could be connected.

For another thing, I'd say that Light's more of a prep than a goth. ^^;; I guess you could consider Misa sort of gothic, but she doesn't act like a sterotypical goth.

Not everything that has a dark tone and has to do with death is 'goth', you know. If that was the case, Ghost in the Shell would be, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
VEGANDARAE wrote:

Well, for one thing, suicide doesn't feature too much in the manga, so I'm not sure how the two could be connected.

For another thing, I'd say that Light's more of a prep than a goth. ^^;; I guess you could consider Misa sort of gothic, but she doesn't act like a sterotypical goth.

Not everything that has a dark tone and has to do with death is 'goth', you know. If that was the case, Ghost in the Shell would be, too.

Yeah GITS can be considered dark

but its blindlingly "bright" in the face of such titles like Gilgamesh (the jury's still out as to me getting it)

besides GITS doesnt let the bad guys win at all Anime hyper
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, good point! But (major spoilers) spoiler[Light doesn't win in the end, though.]
Twilight_Thorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This is sad. No matter how many times I see things like this in the news, people never stop amazing me. To actually kill another person... Sad
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Well, good point! But (major spoilers) spoiler[Light doesn't win in the end, though.]

yeah i know what happens from word of mouth, but it took them THIS long to cap his ass off after kiling so many innocent people Anime hyper
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

yeah i know what happens from word of mouth, but it took them THIS long to cap his ass off after kiling so many innocent people Anime hyper

you might want to toss a spoiler tag on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
@Vegandare

Ah, if it isnt Mr/Mrs 'This series is too popular therefore I hate it'. I was wondering when you'd grace this thread with your stunning intellect.
Listen, I despise yaoi too, (it's the main reason why the Death Note fanbase is so 80% retarded. Forget 'failure on a stick', they're a whole freaking failure KEBAB) but are you honestly saying you want people injured and hurt or even killed 'in its name' just to show everyone that its 'bad'?
(I am not going to start an argument on this because its too ridiculous, but it gets right up my nose whenever anyone calls Death Note 'emo' or 'goth' just because it doesnt feature bright happy spikey-haired protagonists shooting magical beams at eachother. It's dark and rather frightening, o noes, but it doesnt in any way glorify anything Light (or as I prefer to call him, Raitard) does. The glory is all in his twisted mind. The point is to show how power corrupts.)
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:

- The death penalty is scrapped from the Belgian law.

Bummer.
NailBunnyCares777

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
ok so this whole epidemic is rediculous, some idiot decides its a good idea to kill someone, but thats not enough, he has to drag deathnote into this i mean honestly, what the hell is he retarded or something, and no one person better try to say deathnote is to blame for this inncident, everytime somebody dies and it resembles anything in the media it MUST be the medias fault, no it has nothing to do with the person being mentally unstable and obviously not belonging in any public enviroment in the first place, seriously its rediculous. a wise person once said "Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - They're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7