• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big breasts ruining anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DClark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm normally put off by oversized breasts, but I own a couple shows which use those style models. I own Grenadier and while I wouldn't rate it in the upper echelon of anime, it's a decent series and the large breasts were part of the character since she's supposed to be this offsettingly beautiful character who's able to take away people's will to fight just through love. Grenadier just needed a bit tighter ending than what it had; Rushuna's large breasts didn't lessen the series for me.

I also just finished Godannar, where it seems almost all the women (and girls) have torpedo breasts. With all the double-entendre going on in the show (the merging of the robots, the comments between partners, etc.) I could see the style of show they were going for, but if they'd have toned down the breasts a bit I think the sexual comedy would have still been funny, and the serious parts of the show would have been more emotionally satisfying. Godannar's filled with action, comedy, and drama, but I think while the character designs work well with the sexual comedy portions they slightly lessened the drama portions of the show.

It's still a pretty good show (especially if you want action and comedy with big robots), and Kouji's "I'm not dead yet" running gag was funny, but I think I would have been more drawn into the dramatic parts of the show had they toned down the breast sizes.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
You know something is wrong with an anime when it's cast makes the girls from ikkitousen look small in comparison. I just knew this thread was going to be about Dragonaut and if I see a ugly 3d cg is ruining anime thread I'm sure Dragonaut will again be mentioned.

The main character from Witchblade (same character designer as Dragonaut) has massive tits but she still looks hot, the 3 above mentioned characters in that pic tits are waaaay bigger than the Witchblade and they just look flat out stupid.

Here's the female cast of Dragonaut

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7607/1193849153846b80bll6.jpg

Toa (pink) and jaqualine (yellow hair) are nice and big but not stupidly so like the 3 ott girls.
Holy cheese and rice; those tits are freaken huge. Shocked

They must all wear back bracers under thier kimonos..
countchocula86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I always find it annoying that they have these really skinny girls with huge breats, even school girls. Some, rarely, will be skinny and have big breats, but if you believe anime then half the female population of Japan has had a mega boob-job.

Quote:
I don't know, I think flat-chested girls are a far greater danger to anime Razz

Lolicon blah blah sexualize little girls blah blah pedobear blah blah Chris Hansen blah blah numa numa yey.

If only we had some kind of middle ground, some kind of general natural size.... Razz
Walker-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Walker-san wrote:
If you don't want big breasts, then find a series that doesn't have them.

Are you supposedly contributing or just talking at people? The point is that some generally interesting or good anime have to have characters with massive breasts that detract from the level of the show. We are agreeing, disagreeing and discussing this instead of just saying "duh avoid the crap you don't like". It's not as simple as that.

That hugeness in size, especially when no one in the actual anime seems to notice(the total defintion of fan service), isn't needed. Eiken's been pointed out a couple times here and atleast in that, although I only saw 1 episode I think, there is almost NOTHING serious or no point to watch it other than some comedy and their breast size. I forget if it was actually funny though.

That's like going to watch Eva and when Shinji rides the unit with Asuka, he starts getting slapped around with her enormous breasts that defy physics. I don't think that would work especially well.

If its not as simple as that, then find something that is.

If you so boldly require physics that don't defy normality, then find a series that does so.

All I'm saying, is that melon numbers shouldn't affect a series overall. If you feel so, then I suggest you spend a night at a love hotel. =_=;;
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
It's a valid concern. Too much fanservice can easily harm a series when it doesn't really fit in to the atmosphere or style of the series. So no, it's not as simple as that, it's entirely subjective and it's not unreasonable for someone to feel that oversized breasts are a problem when used poorly. I don't think they're going to ruin a series like the subject implies, but it can certainly do some damage; I agree in that respect.

If it just doesn't feel like it belongs, and is even used as a plot device in certain situations to toss in some weak humor then it can become a problem. It effects the immersive quality of the shows and the pacing and storytelling. If it doesn't really fit in then it always feels like a glaring distraction and the usage of the oversized breast cliche gives the impression that they're just tossing it in to attract a few viewers and cheapens the feel of the show. It'd be no different than if I saw my local politician walk up to the podium wearing sunglasses, a gold clock around his neck and baggy rapper pants around his knees. In some situations combining elements just doesn't work and can effect something in a variety of ways from general respect to quality to simple aesthetics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Walker-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
It's a valid concern. Too much fanservice can easily harm a series when it doesn't really fit in to the atmosphere or style of the series. So no, it's not as simple as that, it's entirely subjective and it's not unreasonable for someone to feel that oversized breasts are a problem when used poorly. I don't think they're going to ruin a series like the subject implies, but it can certainly do some damage; I agree in that respect.

If it just doesn't feel like it belongs, and is even used as a plot device in certain situations to toss in some weak humor then it can become a problem. It effects the immersive quality of the shows and the pacing and storytelling. If it doesn't really fit in then it always feels like a glaring distraction and the usage of the oversized breast cliche gives the impression that they're just tossing it in to attract a few viewers and cheapens the feel of the show. It'd be no different than if I saw my local politician walk up to the podium wearing sunglasses, a gold clock around his neck and baggy rapper pants around his knees. In some situations combining elements just doesn't work and can effect something in a variety of ways from general respect to quality to simple aesthetics.

I'd totally vote for that politician. Bill Gluckman iz down wit da bitches and ho's!!

But, I agree, it can serve as a distraction factor in a series...but should you honestly let it distract you so?

I'm neutral on having big breast, or fanservice, or whatever. I try to focus more so on a series, and try NOT to stand on a soap box when I don't like it.

If I don't like a factor in a series, I simply move on. Is that so hard?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
People are different. It's going to be harder for some than others. I'm pretty good when it comes to ignoring it but I must admit there's been a few shows where I just couldn't. Sure I still enjoyed the series, but I honestly could say that in some regards I'd have enjoyed it more had the ginormous breasts been left out.

I can see how some might actually prefer it while others may be more negatively effected by it than I. Either way there's nothing wrong with a little criticism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Anime fans have the lamest fetishes. Loli's, MILF's, massive udders, rape. It's so nerdy it's not even funny.

[/flame]

-_-

More honestly though, this thread displays a surprising amount of people with the attitude of "Who cares. You can't stomach it? Stop watching, get the hell out and don't complain." What's with that? Who the bloody hell are you to say so that one can't be bothered by massive udders on animated wimmin', and one who does should just shut up and "enjoy" the story despite the F-cup distractions on screen?

Me, I don't like those big breasts myself. Real life? May be. Animated? That depends on the character design. If you draw cute girls and you find that big boobs make her cuter, alright; but what I usually find is that those same designs are more often than not hampered by the surgery work rather than benefited from it.

Walker-san: Soapboxes are the whole point of forums, blogs, and may be the internet itself.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
People who can ignore the breasts should similarly be able to ignore the lack of breasts...those who cannot get over them would watch if they weren't so absurd...Those who watch only because of the big breasts would not watch if they were removed...

I suppose it comes down to numbers, would more people stop watching a good story if the massive breasts were removed than would watch it if they weren't?

Now I don't know about you but I've seen several threads in which people complain about the massive size of breasts but none that complain about the lack of breasts in the general cast...

So is it that far to stretch to assume that if a show had normal sized breasts those who like huge breasts would still watch for the story, those who hate big breasts would watch for the story and those indifferent would also watch...

Considering that why should big breasts be in a show that is not about them? (Eiken for example)
countchocula86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Jumbo cans can certainly work in some series, particularly, imho, comedic ones. And sure, one character with big, but not ridiculous, ones is fine too. But in Dragonauts it was like every new female character they introduced (in the first ep anyways) had freakin sweater tigers!
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
Dragonaut ~the resonance~ - Ok so I've been following this anime for the last five episodes. I'm not a big mech-anime fan but it looked interesting enough, the plot has so far seemingly enough substance to make for a good view; the character variety is interesting and for the most part the animation is good. However, I have an issue with the so-called "fan service". And I just wondered if anyone else shared this opinion.

See my problem is that nearly every chick apart from Toa has massive breasts. I'm not talking massive but realistic, I'm talking so big it's just ridiculous. It's not fanservice, it's not erotic, it's distracting and annoying. Every time one of said female characters appears on the screen I subconciously shake my head. I'm actually considering dropping what is otherwise a good anime just because I can no longer put up with the constant boob shots. Some of you might consider this weird? How can I not like breasts?

The thing is, they're too big to be even close to realistic, they're thrust in your face every 10 seconds (not to mention the women wearing armour that for some reason leaves their chest, the most vunerable location on their body, nearly completely exposed) and nearly every female character has them. If I wanted H I'd watch some damn H. Seriously it's too much. Does anyone else get incredibly frustrated with the several anime that have this particular problem? Or feel free to disagree with me.

In my opinion fanservice and the unatural level of beauty can hamper an anime, but only very very rarely have I seen it seriously hurt a story, and even then that's usually only when the story was weak enough that it couldn't cover for that.

If anything the bigger issue is the fact that anime tries often to have these ultra-beautiful main characters who more often then not complain or moan over their appearance. To that end it can actually hurt the story far more then fanservice because it breaks the suspension of disbelief and makes me often think "Why is this person called ugly/old/etc?! why does everyone call them that?! you can't tell the difference!!111"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Just the title alone makes the thread worthwhile.

In the same vein as the debate about fanservice, I wonder if a lot of this breaks down along generational lines. It's certainly not an all-encompassing example, but the general attitude/enjoyment of T&A is worlds different from when I started watching anime in the 90's, whereas todays fans often seem downright 'puritan' by comparison. That's not to say whats 'right or wrong', just a statement of difference.

What drew me to anime, as was the case with most of my peers, was an interest in the visual creativity/character design/composition. The major story draws were the ultra-violence of titles like Ninja Scroll or Golgo 13, or more often the campy 'wink-nudge' humor of shows like Slayers, Dirty Pair and Gunsmith Cats which provided fun T&A hijinks that had largely disappeared from US TV. In all cases it was the animation/visual flair that was the real draw, I don't remember being struck by the quality of a story often.

I know this will go over like a lead balloon, but I think the point goes double for today. I say this with thousands of dollars of anime merchandise in my home, but the actual 'writing' quality of most anime, in my opinion, is abysmal. Especially in todays market, most series are conceived as tween/teen drama-fests, and rarely threaten the mold. I'm still a big animation fan, and love the unique visual flair/imagination the Japanese bring to the table, but now more then ever much (or course not all) of anime is, to me, 'teen-bait' that rarely rises above base levels of melodrama.

Again, it's all opinion and there's no 'right or wrong' here. Just in the chorus of voices preferring less and less overt T&A/ecchi, there are still some grizzled old 'mind in the gutter' fans who see it as a primary feature, not a bug.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, Im a fan of fanservice, when its done right. Jiggling boobies, panty flashes, almost panty flashes, beach episodes, its all good. But when an anime unveils 3 female characters, each with globes that are so huge they oughta have their own gravity...I dunno, it just doesnt work.

At least for me, its nothing at all about the sexuality. Its just the ridiculousness of it on the background of an anime that doesnt seem like a comedy.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I think we need to keep in mind here, though the OP may have worded it poorly, he didn't mean all big boobs are bad. What he meant was that absurdly big boobs, to the point where they're neither attractive, nor realistic.

I can completely agree with that.

I just see the size of some of these boobs and...well WTF? Thats really the best way I can put it. Is it the end on the world? No. I can generally ignore it. It isn't going to ruin the whole show. However, I just don't get why they feel the need to do this. With the exception of comedy, its just pointless. Its not hot or sexy. Its just well...again, WTF? If anything it actually ruins the fanservice for me.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
countchocula86 wrote:

Quote:
At least for me, its nothing at all about the sexuality. Its just the ridiculousness of it on the background of an anime that doesnt seem like a comedy.

I think in a round-about way you hit on a god point; rather then following a consistent writing thread a lot of current anime really jam in multiple, sometimes inconsistent themes/designs, like a counterperson at a 'Coldstone' mashing together ice-cream. "All right, we've got a serious, bittersweet coming of age story, lets throw in some hot springs episodes, mix in a wacky-oversexed Mom, and sprinkle on an alien invasion mecha sub-plot. There you go kid, enjoy." Perhaps market forces are pushing shows into the 'something for everyone' camp, and in the end no one feels like all the elements of a show makes sense.

Some people look at Dragonaut and go 'Why are there so much boobs mucking up my story?', and others can say 'Why is there so much story mucking up my boobs?'.

Twas' a time shows like 'Banner of the Stars' and 'Serial Experiment Lain' knew there job and stuck to it, and shows like 'Cutey Honey' and 'Agent Aika' did the same. Maybe too much 'mix and match' leaves a lot of people unhappy these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17