• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-01-02

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I can see a running gag where there's a completely different storyline, but the kid's in the background carrying a mop. Much like how Myoopi's poo candy's become,
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I laughed. I really, really laughed.
Keep them coming please.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
It's fairly common (ie: Generic) to have a young prodigy that is somehow better than he should be. Either because he's an alien (DB), he's been practicing all his life without realizing it (Initial D), etc...

-t

I guess it makes sense when you put it that way. I've only seen 1 or 2 shounen series that start out like that, so I didn't think it was that funny. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aele

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
When's Daisuke gonna go Super Sanitation-jin 3?

That comic was fun. At first it didn't click until the janitor started going on about how neatly he piled the sawdust. Keep up the great work!

I think in episode 137 "Desparation! Kiyoko's New Hope!" Right after he obtains the immaculate cleanser of purification from the shrine maiden Kiyoko of the Akiharu shrine.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. It's not very funny.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:

Well we were all waiting with baited breath for your opinion, so thanks for enlightening us all!

Edit: It's not that we can't handle criticism, but I have to wonder - those of you who feel compelled to come into the forums and post a content-free, one-line little spitwad of hate at something... what's the point? Do you think everyone's going to say 'Oh, he's right, this sucks, what a compelling argument' or that we're going to cancel the strip thanks to your brilliant 'meh this sucks' commentary?

I just don't see the point.

Last edited by Zac on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote

....okay, okay, I'll crack!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know, I'm a huge shounen fan myself, but sometimes you've just gotta take some time to laugh at yourself I guess. Thing is, it's so funny because it is indeed true! Anime hyper I mean, not all of them are like that of course, but yeah, a good bulk of them indeed are, I have to admit. That's never really bothered me at all, but still, you gotta admit..............
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
tempest wrote:
It's fairly common (ie: Generic) to have a young prodigy that is somehow better than he should be. Either because he's an alien (DB), he's been practicing all his life without realizing it (Initial D), etc...

-t

I guess it makes sense when you put it that way. I've only seen 1 or 2 shounen series that start out like that, so I didn't think it was that funny. Laughing

Well, the mop kid running around and playing pranks is right out of the first ep of Naruto, but I think the joke was mainly on the common shonen cliche of the hero being an idiot who is nonetheless a natural prodigy at whatever activity the series is based around, and shocking the pants off everyone with his skill. Pretty much every shonen sports series features a scene like this in the first chapter, where the hero is shown to be uncannily good for his age.

So yeah, I thought this was a pretty good strip. Laughing I can see how the joke would be missed by some people though, since it's really defendant on you having watched a lot of shonen. ^^
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The Shounen formula is so powerful it has moved to SHOUJO! If you love stories like:
Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, Initial D, Hikaru no Go, Whistle, Yakitate Japan, Bleach, etc. etc.

Check out: BEAUTY POP!
It's the Shounen formula manga of.... HAIR STYLING! (I'm totally not kidding, my wife loves it btw (She calls it the Initial D of Haircutting), and I also find it strangely compelling attesting to the power of the shounen JUMP formula)
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
This is the first time Nina comic strip actually made me laugh... (I've never been to a con before so previous strips didn't really crack me)..

But perhaps I won't find it as funny if I haven't been 'enlightened' from the 'shonen fans' (ah... the days when I only read Naruto...)

Shonen anime have powerful storytelling indeed..

but I think how much of a prodigy Daisuke is, someday he will find that his abilities are pretty much commonplace among high-class janitors.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:

Well we were all waiting with baited breath for your opinion, so thanks for enlightening us all!

Edit: It's not that we can't handle criticism, but I have to wonder - those of you who feel compelled to come into the forums and post a content-free, one-line little spitwad of hate at something... what's the point? commentary?

I just don't see the point.

I didn't say I hated it, or that it sucked . This strip's not bad at all, it‘s ok. I just said it wasn't VERY funny.

What I said was a mere comment/ response to that comic strip. If you didn't want to hear comments, then there's really no purpose for this thread is there?

I'm a very outspoken person and I say what I think and how I feel. All I was saying was that it didn't appeal to me as much as the previous ones did. There's nothing wrong with that, right? Am I not entitled to my opinion? It's pretty well drawn as usual, but it's just not very funny to me. Why can't I say what I want?

Now I feel like I hurt someone's feelings. It's not like I said... "THIS SUCKSSSSS MAN!" The strip doesn't suck , it wasn't VERY funny but it doesn't "SUCK". It’s adequately amusing for me. Would you rather have me compliment something that I don't truly like?

You know what sucks is the fact that I've liked all the others except for this one. And now, I'm getting attacked for stating my opinion.

Zac wrote:
Do you think everyone's going to say 'Oh, he's right, this sucks, what a compelling argument' or that we're going to cancel the strip thanks to your brilliant 'meh this sucks'

What? You’re taking this a little too far. That’s not what I meant at all! I don't give a shit about what these other people say. We all have different perspectives. Why would I want the strip cancelled when I've read every single one? I freaking' love these little comic strips you guys do! [My favorite is the one where some guy's asking for a Rei drawing for 5 bucks. Haha]

Look, I guess I should've written a bit more than that. It does come across like "this sucks" now that I think about it. What I said was a rant. =_=" And I should've showed some emotion or whatever. Maybe if I would've placed a smiley face at the end this wouldn't have happened. I don’t think it sucks Very Happy Don't love it yet don't hate it either. You guys took what I said the wrong way, I'm really sorry if I offended ANY of you guys. Peace Mr.Bertschy? Anime exclamation
Astraea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. This made me smile. For me, it was amusing take on shounen series. Good stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4