• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Switch GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Hmm, it looks very Death Note-ish, so I think I may check it out!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
I was one of the ones applauding when this was announced at Comic-con. I'd seen the Naked Ape artbook & it was different from so many of the artists I buy, but it interested me-very dark, reds, browns & muddy. Naked Ape also have a title running in one of the zines I subscribe to & I picked up Switch 10 at Sanseido so I really wanted to get something of theirs translated.

That said, I haven't gotten to it yet because it arrived in a box with Another Note & yaoi. Yaoi gets preferential treatment(no backing up on it), but I read Another Note (bad choice. Loved who was the story teller, hated the lousy plot development.) This I will get to after I finish the last of the yaoi (Camera, Camera, Camera 2, Vanilla 2, Love Triangle, Satisfaction Guaranteed-yeah very thin BL & it's wearing thin that we aren't getting anywhere. Shojo is so frustrating. Yaoi may be shojo, but few titles go beyond 3 volumes, so we don't get to that drawn out place as often).
Paging thru Switch, I liked what I saw, but we'll see about the plotting when I get to it later this week or next. At least yaoi is a quick read so I will probably get to Switch by Friday.

edit-
because of this scathing review, I decided to kill this one off last night & obviously found it far more enjoyable than the reviewer. Considering the gals said this is their first serialization together (& obviously Vol 1) I was very impressed with the art (lack of misproportioned characters in various odd positions common to shojo & to first volumes). First volumes, like first eps, have the thankless job of set-up, but this one manages without awkward excessive explainations ("He's a strategical genius!""He can read minds!" any number of other comments by bystanders to clue the reader in to the abilities of the characters.) By the end of the first chapter we know who the newbs & the pros are & by the end of the 2nd we know where they stand as an organization.
This is not a 3-vol manga. There will be PLENTY of time for back-story on the major players. We don't need to see their life history in Vol 1. I have Japanese Vol 10 (Narita's all over that one). We will likely get it in a volume or 2. From the review I was expecting GetBackers, but this isn't as light-hearted nor as fan-servicey. It is more Wild Adaptor minus the yaoi. Both deal with drugs-Wild Adaptor a specific, Switch maybe several or maybe this DS will be the major chase thruout the book. Wild Adaptor is the chase thru those affected by it on the outside of the law, but with a connection to the law. Switch is thru the law. Both are have a darker overall look to the art. I know the story Naked Ape has running in Zero-Sum(or is it Asuka? Lean towards Zero-Sum. They seem more a Zero-Sum team) is very violent, so this may or may not get there.
I look forward to the rest of the series.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Big Naked Ape/Acute Girls fan... wondering how this is... hopefully I'll pick it up some time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1