• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kure-nai

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaredDSMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was a little saddened that Shinkurou spoiler[didn't use the bone thing]. Isn't this just the sort of situation that would call for it? She's a kid, you can't expect her to be super courageous, it's up to the person that's closer to being an adult. If he chose not to simply because she went along with what was happening, I'll be quite annoyed.

I believe that Shinkurouspoiler[ was tired/depressed as I mentioned earlier or realized along with Murasaki that if the Kuhoins came to get her it would be a Lose-Lose situation. He may want to plan with Benika to get her back being fully prepared to take them on.] Also, another post *looks above somewhere Razz * mentioned spoiler[he may train with Yunno to be able to really fight with the family of Kuhoins.]
Faraz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Luxa wrote:
The sub I watched said that spoiler["The Kuhoins can only give birth to children by mingling amongst themselves." I interpreted this as they are not able to have children otherwise, but I admit that the other explanation is more likely.] I have no clue about the original Japanese text though.

Well, the word 'can' could be interpreted in two ways. One meaning they can't due to physical/biological limitations and the other meaning they can't because they aren't allowed to.

From what we've seen of the Kuhoins so far (following family rules no matter what), I believe the second explanation is the more likely one.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
I didn't like this episode. I was reasonably shocked with the whole spoiler[incest pedophilia stuff] but I somewhat expected something like that anyways. However, I find myself hating Shinkurou. Why? Because if something like that is going down and not only the person you've been hired to protect, but your neighbors and friends are all getting beaten/kidnapped, you'd think he would try harder to save them. Especially when he's continually spewing forth his spoiler["I will protect you" line - he may not like his monstrous body or whatever but come on, what else does he have it for if not to protect Murasaki? What is the point in him having that strength if he won't use it to save someone he loves? He didn't even TRY to use it. He just got beaten up, and lay their on the floor mumbling "I will protect you" while his life was used as essentially leverage to get Murasaki back into the inner circle. Pathetic.]

I was sitting there for the entirety of that section of the episode literally saying out loud "DO SOMETHING". GAH! Really frustrating. Then, to add to the frustration, you see the preview which shows him spoiler[screwing around in his room?] He clearly didn't read the part of the shounen manual entitled "Backbone - How to not be spineless". If he does spoiler[ask Yuuno's family for help], this will be the first anime I've ever watched where I've gone from really liking the protagonist to completely hating him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
I was quite shocked when I found out about the secret behind the Inner Sanctuary, but at the same time, felt satisfied. I think I may have been disappointed for it to have been anything less.

I do agree with other people who have already posted about spoiler[Shinkuro getting the crap kicked out of him by that really crazy bodyguard]. I can see why it turned out that way, but I was really hoping for a bit more drive out of him. All that strength that he's shown in the previous episodes seemed to have disappeared where he needed it most, but I guess it was done to show just how great the Kuhouin's power is (and because we still have a few more episodes till the end). It really gave off a sense of despair.

I really fell in love with Murasaki over these past episodes, so I really hope that she gets a complete happy ending, but I suppose I shouldn't bet on it.

On a side note, does anyone know more details about the way that Murasaki speaks? I've heard this sort of manner of speaking before and I find it typically deals with royalty and/or high society. I can tell that her tone is such that it talks "down" to people in a way, but I'm not too clear on the details which makes it hard to "google search it". I'd love to read up on it a bit more, so it'd be awesome if anyone can link me to something informative.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
He clearly didn't read the part of the shounen manual entitled "Backbone - How to not be spineless".

I wouldn't say he was spineless; he did get back up a couple times. It's just, he's not really good at fighting; not against someone with proper training anyway. Consider: all the times Shinkurou beat people was when he was fighting thugs. Yuuno, who actually practices martial arts, clearly beat him. The Kuhoin bodyguard woman beat Yayoi, who's clearly got far more experience with combat than Shinkurou. The part of the shounen manual he didn't read was "Comebacks - How to kick their ass after they've kicked yours."
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
...or maybe "Sneak Attacks: How To Get At Least One Good Shot In Before You Get Owned". Wink
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Lin's a beast... and there's several people in this series much stronger than Shinkurou... plenty of them who are on friendly terms with him. Also I don't think that arm thing was in the novels...
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Man, it's stuff like this that reeeeeeeally makes me wish this series was longer and covered the entirety of the novels. Sad I guess it's still good for what it's worth though, and I'm sure we'll at least get somewhat of a satisfying ending anyways.

But man, what an episode. So informative, so emotional, and I loved every minute of it. But then all of a sudden that whole ending scene....... spoiler[I'm with the bunch who really wanted Shinkurou to get up and kick some butt. I mean yeah, his normal fighting abilities aren't all that great, that's understandable, but why exactly was it that he didn't use his little arm weapon? Isn't that just an example of poor writing, even if the arm weapon isn't in the novels? I mean really, he had no reason not to as far as I'm concerned, except for maybe not wanting Murasaki to have to witness it like he was saying earlier. But even then, as far as storywriting goes that would have been the perfect time for him to do it!

I don't know...... but that was the only thing I didn't like about the episode, and even still I don't like Shinkurou any less then I did before because of it. Besides, he's still got a chance to redeem himself, and it'll be interesting to see if he takes full advantage of that latter. I sure hope he does, I don't want anything bad to happen to Murasaki. Crying or Very sad]

As for the spoiler[Kuhoin's dirty little secret,] yeah, that was...... disturbing, to say the least...... doesn't that kind of remind anyone of spoiler[the FLDS? Laughing] Okay, probably shouldn't joke about that. Anime smile + sweatdrop But spoiler[as an actual LDS member myself (and don't worry, they have absolutely NOTHING to do with us) that comparison in all actuality makes it even more disturbing......]
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 10: spoiler[Shinkurou seemed to be taking his failure very well after his conversation with Yayoi, but even so there were still those small things whether it was in his apartment, out shopping, or ridicule from Tamaki and Yamie that constantly reminded him of Murasaki. This ultimately made him decide to confront Benika with his decision to go against the Kuhoins and find out for himself how Murasaki really feels about him.] The writing and the animation of body language continues to be top notch making the dialog between characters look and sound natural.

I thought it was unusual for spoiler[Shinkurou to only offer a handshake to bid farewell to Tamaki and Yamie. Considering how close and friendly he was with his neighbors a hug would have been merited, but I guess the tickle fight initiated by Tamaki was even better.Laughing]
With 3 episodes left there's still a lot that can happen.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I like how there was more development for Yayoi in this episode I'm looking forward to her rematch with psycho lady. I'll be disappointed if Youno doesn't get in on the action in the next couple episides given spoiler[her feelings for Shinkuro.]
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'll be disappointed if Youno doesn't get in on the action in the next couple episides given spoiler[her feelings for Shinkuro.]

I am also hoping that this will be the case, but it was mentioned at one point earlier in the series that spoiler[Youno's family and the Kuhoin's had pretty good relations, or something to that extent,] so it may not be possible for her to help, at least without spoiler[going against her family who, granted, care very much for Kurenai as well.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn as to how I'd like this to turn out...

spoiler[On the one hand, I've come to care about the relationship between Kurenai and Murasaki a great deal, and my sentimental side (which, incidentally, has been overactive recently due to an influx of romance anime) would like the 'conventional' ending, whereby he manages to save her from the Inner Sanctuary and they're able to lead a 'new' life as it were, probably with Benika's help.

Then there's my provocative side, the one who LIKES a sad ending as long as it's done well. I think the character development thus far has been so solid that the whole thing would stand up very well as a tragedy, mayhaps Shinkurou being mortally wounded but able to see Murasaki once more. ]

Either way, I'm confident this one will have an affecting end, it's no surprise this has been one of the fan favourites this season. I'll be sad when it ends, I've genuinely enjoyed every single episode. Crying or Very sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it was mentioned earlier in the first post that this was based on the first of a series of light novels. If Shinkuro spoiler[went and died at the end then there wouldn't be any more novels after this one.] So that could answer your question on the oucome of the ending. He could spoiler[fail again though and still live at the end to rescue her in the next book/anime series] but that would be a really lame way to end a series if you ask me.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Mm, but I've known anime series to deviate from their original plots and create their own endings, so it's still possible. You're probably right though.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Mm, but I've known anime series to deviate from their original plots and create their own endings, so it's still possible. You're probably right though.

Still, if it ended like your provocative side wants it, it would have been so epic that I wouldn't be afraid to say that Kurenai is my favorite anime ever (can't say for sure now, but if it keeps the momentum it also has chance). I like endings that rapes your feeling! Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13