• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Death Note Film to Run in 300+ U.S. Theaters in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain-Bravo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Wing_Goddess wrote:
i don't know if i missed it or not but... not even one Canadian date out of 300+? Ouch :\

Really? That Surprises me considering how big Death note is right now but then again we just might just get a later date then the US.
Empathy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I saw both of the movies and they were a bit more than just a little disappointing, but I would still like to see them in theatres, because who doesn't want to see L on the big screen?! Embarassed Horton Plaza here I come!!!!
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
It's going to be released in Theatres dubbed. I think it's interesting that they're using the original VAs in the anime.

I just watched the trailer for this and it's hilarious. I really want to see this. I like the English VAs for the anime, but to hear their voices coming out of the real-life Japanese actors' bodies gives it a campy goodness that should be fun to watch.

I also generally dislike dubbed live action movies, but I think I'm going to have to go see this one. Luckily it will be playing not too far away from me. Anime smile
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
SWEET Stratford Square Mall. 5 minutes from my house. I assumed it would only be at AMC theatres like the other Fathom Event stuff. I am surprised.

I did see a fansub a while back and enjoyed it more than the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, one of the theaters in San Diego is showing this movie in Imax!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
It's going to be released in Theatres dubbed. I think it's interesting that they're using the original VAs in the anime.

I just watched the trailer for this and it's hilarious. I really want to see this. I like the English VAs for the anime, but to hear their voices coming out of the real-life Japanese actors' bodies gives it a campy goodness that should be fun to watch.

I also generally dislike dubbed live action movies, but I think I'm going to have to go see this one. Luckily it will be playing not too far away from me. Anime smile

I agree...I think I'll be happier with the original VAs than actors I don't know...I mean...Juilani still voicing L...I'm happy with that. xDDD
mastertr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
As much as I hate to pay $7.00 a ticket, which is what Georgesville Square costs ;[, I will probably go and see this just because it's Death Note. Hopefully it will be worth the ticket cost...
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Wow, the days it is showing on may be difficult for me, but I am really going to try and make a showing in Saginaw on the 20th. I really want to see this.
Will this be released to video shortly afterwards seeing how limited this release is here? Does anyone have any idea?
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Well this'll be interesting. A chance for the American public to see how godawful this movie is. Bad acting and actors, shinigami that look like something out of Beetlejuice, horribly twisted plot, oh joy Smile

Yeah, honestly it was pretty bad :/
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... three locations in Austin. Wonder which one will be the least emo.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy not to drive to the next state (132 miles) to see an anime related movie. Thanks Viz! Very Happy
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
It's actually playing near me. Thank you, Viz! Surprised
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh damn you Viz, playing at AMC screens, but not going with the one at the Mall of America? >< The Minneapolis/St Paul locations are horribly situated for those of us that don't drive and rely on the metro system, I'd be looking at an hour and a half of transit time each way, minimum (nevermind the fact that I'll also be working both of those nights).
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Wow, the days it is showing on may be difficult for me, but I am really going to try and make a showing in Saginaw on the 20th. I really want to see this.
Will this be released to video shortly afterwards seeing how limited this release is here? Does anyone have any idea?

o_o maybe they'll announce it later...but the DVDs may be released in September... I don't know why it's out so late...

But if you think about it...Viz is also going to bring out that Naruto movie in the summer and won't be for sale on DVD until the fall...

o.o and if you want to know how I got all this info...xD I kinda was impatient and made contact with a rep.... >.>;;
Aradiel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! I loved these films, and I loved the manga, but the anime was dissapointing. Sure, it was okay, but I didn't like them taking out what they did (and, hey, had they left in in, then maybe they wouldn't have had to give it a bad ending.)

The films stick to the manga quite well, and I appreciate that they did change some stuff, but by doing so they kept it to two films. 1 would have been too few, and I think 3 would have been too many for people who weren't fans to bother sticking with it.

Anyway, hooray! Close to an actual DVD release!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4