• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Garden of Sinners (movie series).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The third movie is titled "Remaining Sense of Pain", and this is probably the one movie I actually enjoyed quite a bit. And not to mentioned, this is by far the most violent and sexually disturbing Kara no Kyokai movie so far! Shocked

spoiler[This movie introduces Fujino Asagami in which throughout most of the beginning of the movie, she has got beatened and raped by a bunch of druggies. Obviously at that moment, she snapped and went on a killing spree against those guys one by one with her special power to bend. The concept of pain and what it means to feel pain was pretty much the big theme of this particular movie.

Though I found it amusing that throughout the movie in which that Fujino felt pain in her stomach was actually appendicitis, and as Touko said it was one giant misunderstanding. And with it, Shiki's arm and a bridge collapsing had to be the casualties of Fujino's actions. ]

Claymation moment of the day, don't smoke in the theaters! And I LOL'ed at Rin Tohsaka's and Sakura's cameos on the silver screen.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
i watched the first two of these, and i have absolutely no idea what's going on. is there some back story i should know about? also, spoiler[why exactly did she try to kill Mikiya(?)i mean i know it was a split personality (type moon is milking that angle to death Rolling Eyes ), but it still just kind of came out of nowhere.] i do like the music and the art though.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
I watched the first 2 as well and I think at this point I'm watching out of a desire to clear up my pure confusion. I feel that I know less than when I started... loll.

I get a few things but I don't really know how they relate. I suppose this is good for making people curious though. On the other hand, it could frustrate/annoy others.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
It arrived this morning, but I haven't had a chance to actually watch it yet unfortunately. Release is as good as ever, but it is starting to lose it's shine given that each one is exactly the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
The fourth movie is out, and it's titled "The Hollow". Long story short, spoiler[this is where Shiki gets her Eyes of Death powers, and it ended with her taking out a zombie! Surprised ] And the BEAUTIFUL moment of this short movie is that spoiler[Souren Araya gets introduced, and he's the one who gave Kirie and Fujino those whacked out powers in the 1st and 3rd movies respectively!]

Claymation moment of the day: Chew and slurp QUIETLY in the theaters! Laughing

The fifth movie is coming soon which is actually going to be a full-movie length (I heard it's about 2 hrs long Shocked ), and according to the novel readers, this is where it gets unbelievably badass! Cool
guet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the fourth movie. Gotta say, I'm so impressed with these movies. The voice acting was a highlight this time around, and the climactic battle scene did not dissapoint. I can't wait for number five.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying these movies a whole lot as well. I watched the 4th one before work this morning. Man these movie look so good animation-wise and they all manage to have a great tense, moody, atnosphere which is probabally due to the great Yuki Kajiura music.

spoiler[We got to see a little of Touko powers in this one. It was good to see more of her and have them develop her character since in the previous movies she's just pretty much been a background character.]

spoiler[Sakura and Rin were sitting in the theater this time] for the clamtion thing. I want Ciel, Kohaku and Hisui and Saber cameos at some point.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
My copy is in the post but what with Christmas it'll probably take a while to get here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Here's the fifth movie that's titled "Paradox Spiral", and......holy fu**! Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT watch this with a laid back mindset because as the title implies, the entire plot is one gigantic mindscrew dealing with that apartment having me attempting to condense it will rack my brain. This is especially true spoiler[with the movie being split between two perspectives; Shiki's and Mikiya's. And not to mention the gore has been upped significantly in a non-gratuitous matter. The moment the first Touko got brutally killed by Araya was gruesome, but having that Willy Wonka look-a-like named Cornelius playing around Touko's severed head in front Mikiya was just.....no! Mad

Of course knowing Touko's knack of planning ahead, that Touko that was killed was a "fake", right?]

The fight scenes were definitely the highlight of this movie, and it made me cry with joy! Damn they were gorgeous especially with Yuki Kajiura's music. Crying or Very sad

EDIT: Oh right, the claymation moment: don't talk on the cellphone in the theater, just don't.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
And yet again - mine's in the post still Sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah movie 5 is indeed way more of a mindscrew than the other ones. I definitely also suggest paying close attention or you'll be severely confused. I personally didn't like the severely disjointed nature of film, but it did have some sweet action. spoiler[Tokko getting "killed" by being impaled and having her heart crushed was a huge shock. I'm glad that wasn't her though...apparently, I'm not sure. Confused ]

Also Shiki gets spoiler[a longer blade to slice and dice lines with in this film] which I thought was pretty awesome. spoiler[It's too bad she broke it, as that thing sounded like it was expensive.]
farruinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Wonka look-a-like named Cornelius playing around spoiler[Touko's severed head in front Mikiya was just.....no! Mad]

Heh, this installment of Kara no Kyoukai made me laugh the most, including that moment Twisted Evil Action scenes were great of course, although I think they looked more realistic in previous chapters.

So, I wonder if this chapter was full length simply because the story necessitated it, or if it means the production studio was able to invest more money in it?
Edit - looking at wikipedia, Oblivion Recorder is 58 minutes, so I guess it was just the story.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Yeah movie 5 is indeed way more of a mindscrew than the other ones. I definitely also suggest paying close attention or you'll be severely confused. I personally didn't like the severely disjointed nature of film, but it did have some sweet action.

It seemed that this director wanted the audience to spoiler[experience the effects of that paradox spiral apartment] as well which is seriously a gutsy move.

Quote:
spoiler[Tokko getting "killed" by being impaled and having her heart crushed was a huge shock. I'm glad that wasn't her though...apparently, I'm not sure. Confused ]

After doing some research from other forums (mainly AS), spoiler[it has been mentioned in previous movies that Touko is really damn good at making living dolls (remember, she did a great job making a replacement of Shiki's arm), and she made of total exact copy of herself ahead time. So supposedly, the real Touko stayed dormant for some time while the copy version roamed around. In an event when the copy gets completely destroyed, the real Touko supposedly reawakens with all the memories of the copy now transferred. I believe Araya was aware of it when he slaughtered the copy, and that's why he kept her severed head preserved in a tube. Of course it was a mistake for him to let Cornelius handle that. Surprised ]

I say this movie and the previous ones deserves a rewatch so I can get most of the itty bitty details; Kinoko Nasu can really go a bit overboard with the details.
farruinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
I don't think it really matters if spoiler[the real Touko was killed or the copy. As she said, the copy was identical to her in every way, so it could also be said that she is a copy of it. The result of all the events is that a Touko survived which identical to the original Touko. Whether it is the original is arbitrary. All that being said, it probably was the copy that was killed anyway.] I liked the schizophrenic way the story was presented. When Touko explained about spoiler[the copy], I had one of those great "Aha!" moments since the number of and order in which the vehicles outside the apartment complex was bugging me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
I don't think it really matters if spoiler[the real Touko was killed or the copy. As she said, the copy was identical to her in every way, so it could also be said that she is a copy of it. The result of all the events is that a Touko survived which identical to the original Touko. Whether it is the original is arbitrary. All that being said, it probably was the copy that was killed anyway.]

That's true. It wasn't really specified so who knows what's the real one.

Quote:
I liked the schizophrenic way the story was presented. When Touko explained about spoiler[the copy], I had one of those great "Aha!" moments since the number of and order in which the vehicles outside the apartment complex was bugging me.

I did noticed some strange scenes like the one you mentioned I thought were continuity errors in the movie (plus there was the looping of certain mundane scenes like where the door is getting unlocked), but that ended being the actual essence overall. It sort of reminds me something out of Boogiepop Phantom to some extent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5