• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo to Post Strike Witches Online Globally

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rg4619

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Really? I thought fansubbers had all kinds of moral codes about that.

Yeah, some groups refrain from subbing licensed series. However, just as many disregard the "rules", so so-called moral codes are quite meaningless. It's like anything in real life.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Silly me! I thought the premise was about a group of witches who demand to join a union. Rolling Eyes

Now that would be something I might actually be prepared to watch.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
So basically even if the Japanese do what the sub fans have been begging for, simultaneous releases, they'll still just download everything and give all legitimate releases the finger. I'd say I was surprised but really I'm just disappointed.

Huh? Where are you getting that from? One, you'll find very few people who asked for simultaneous releases that could only be watched on the PC via YouTube and company. Two, the folks who do want simultaneous releases that can only be watched in this manner are watching the legit version. Three, there's still a lot of people who want dvds, hate watching stuff on YouTube/Cruchyroll, and aren't going to pay twice for something (I fall into this category). Add in that the quality of the official release is pretty bad by comparison to the fansub, and you see the problem. Then you've got the leachers who never buy anything. Don't confuse those people with fans, please.

By the by, for anyone who thinks a boyfic Gonzo title isn't guaranteed to get released on dvd in R1, you're delusional. Funimation will have these out sometime next year.
TJM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Well this is certainly good news.It seemed like nothing was working and all R1 companies were going down the drain and anime was a lost cause, but if this catches on with other companies as well, they could be in for something.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
It didn't work for stoping fansubs. It actually made it easy, sine they translated. The fansubs of Blassreiter and Duraga are beautiful 1280x720 video with AAC audio, WAY better then the streaming versions
Really? I thought fansubbers had all kinds of moral codes about that. I'm so terribly shocked! (This is sarcasm.)

Except that every single fansub of the two shows were by random new groups. All the people who already fansubbed wouldn't touch the shows. Those without moral codes were the ones who popped up to do it.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
It's good to hear that GONZO is still continuing their international webcasting plan. It seems to have gone over well for the most part, though there are issues that still need to be worked out (such as who is supplying the videos to YouTube, among others). There also needs to be better support and promotion for BOST and the studio's BitTorrent DNA feed.

It's also good to see that Strike Witches will be shown, since I enjoyed watching the short a few years before. Hopefully, there will be more GONZO shows (and those from other studios) coming down the pipeline in a worldwide fashion in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be watching this, partly because I'm interested in the the anime after seeing a chapter of the manga in Comp-Ace, and partly to show support for what Gonzo's doing.

I hope it does well and gives a hint to R1 companies that looking the other way and hoping DVD sales will go up probably won't work in the long run (Especially with the US economy the way it is now) =P
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
What about Bittorrent? Gonzo has a section on the Bittorrent media site for Druaga and Blassreiter (it appeared there during that mix-up with CR when the series started, and kind of just stayed, from what I can tell), so will it have one for Strike Witches?
crilix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote
The fastest way to deal with those unauthorized "fansubs" is for Gonzo to contact torrent indexing sites and make a deal with them to link to official outlets instead of unofficial. Contacting two to three of these sites would make a big difference already.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
Guys, those weren't fansubs.

They OCR'd the BOST subs and made custom versions using the HD raws. It's more akin to a DVD rip than a fansub.

Besides, I'd venture to say they didn't get 1% the views of YouTube/CR/etc. So Gonzo's experiment works.

-Tofu
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Except that every single fansub of the two shows were by random new groups. All the people who already fansubbed wouldn't touch the shows. Those without moral codes were the ones who popped up to do it.
Hm, now that is a bit more interesting. (Since I don't follow fansubs, I don't know all the groups or even where to find most of them, so I rely on what others say for such info.)

Though the cynical paranoid in me says "the regular guys just opened some new accounts on the Net and pretend to be newbies." Possible though I have no way of proving anything. If the subbing was, as another poster pointed out, the same as the official stream but on high quality, that is also interesting. (No, they are stealing anything though, just subbing the shows others won't. . . oh wait, the officials did.)

@ Crawly: People wanted simultaneous releases and they got them, perhaps not in the format they wanted but there it is. Things are rarely perfect when they start and Gonzo clearly is still trying to create an incentive to buy DVDs rather than just watch streams or downloads (hence the relatively low quality video.)

And considering how many people own PCs and watch things on YouTube both in and out of anime fandom, does it really surprise you they'd pick such choices?

If the people who wanted releases like this are watching them, then that's a very good thing. Do you happen to have the actual numbers for how many fans are watching these legitimate streams?

You and I are in total agreement about the DVD desiring part of the fanbase. I feel zero desire to watch streams since my computer seems to randomly glitch on them. (Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.) Plus, if I like something I want it on DVD. I can see the quality problem but I also see a problem with offering the highest quality for the stream/download. There are quite a few people who'd just take it and burn it on a DVD for themselves, which largely defeats an official release. At least, they seem worried about such things.

Crawly wrote:
Then you've got the leachers who never buy anything. Don't confuse those people with fans, please.
Haven't you heard though? They are the only true anime fans! Just ask them! (This is really big sarcasm.)

Those people irritate me too. I personally believe they are driving people out of legitimate fandom through harassment.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Wait, BOST is going to put subtitles in the streaming of Strike Witches, right? I mean, an international release is useless without them...
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Are they posting Strike Witches on BOST? I downloaded Shinigami no Ballad and watched the first couple episodes of tower of druga and blasstereiter. I think this is a good first step made by a somewhat prolific company to digital alternatives for release.

Even though the quality isn't all that good, supporting this is necessary by all anime fans since it will encourage Gonze to release better formatted versions.

People now have no excuse to get fansubbed versions of these series, those who do have no excuse whatsoever for their downloading practices. The only one is "I don't want to pay money". People like that can go straight to hell.

PS: Really looking forward to this series, sounds like a fun premise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2