• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha to Publish, Sell Manga in U.S. in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
I have a bad feeling about this. Remember what happened the last time a Japanese company set up shop in a U.S. market?

Overpriced

This is already so for Canadians and Del Ray titles. For some strange reason the pricing if way above the norm for normal manga (or any American-Canadian pricing). While if a normal manga in USD is say, 7.99 it's in CAD for about 9.99, whereas for Del Ray it's from 10.99 to a whopping 15.99 for us! Unless of course, it's a store that still handles comparitive USD prices. But with that being the case I may just hold off from Tsubasa for now before I start... too bad for my xxxHOLiC collection. I would hate having to see my collection all of a sudden change from one franchiser to another...

Once again it MAY be good news for Sailor Moon fans afterall! I'd love to see those 2nd editions and translated nicely^^ No more having a 'Bunny' with a 'Lita' and then 'Hotaru'....

Last edited by Sheleigha on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
OtakuGoth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, Kodansha is so popular and it's possible to have Del Rey license more CLAMP manga if they wanted to. Smile
HitokiriShadow wrote:
So the rumors were true after all.

Quote:
Kodansha intends to transfer its copyrights to this local subsidiary to enter the overseas publishing industry directly.

.... and does this mean the part about them yanking the licenses for currently running titles from others (like Del Rey) is as well? That sounds monumentally stupid but I'm not sure how else to interpret this.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Please save BECK...

My month has started off in tears...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
I have a bad feeling about this. Remember what happened the last time a Japanese company set up shop in a U.S. market?

Overpriced, under-translated titles. I'm talking, of course, about Bandai Visual USA. And Shogakukan, a.k.a ShoPro? Before the merger with the already-established Viz, they were turning out "gems" like "Megaman NT Warrior". Anime hyper#

I just hope that they bother to set their prices a bit closer to the Japanese market in this case (wouldn't five-dollar manga be awesome?) and that they also bother to hire people who respect the English language (unlike the monkeys at Tokyopop, and idiot weeaboo at Dark Horse who they assigned Trigun to).

But, unlike DVDs, manga is CHEAPER in Japan than it is in the US. Much cheaper, actually. Most manga are around 500 yen, less than $5, whereas manga in the US averages $10.

Also, Japanese manga tends to be printed on higher quality paper with slipcovers and color page inserts as well.

It's quite possible that they will not produce product just like Japan though, since by the wording of things it looks like they'll be using local printing... But in any case, price is NOT something that you should be worrying about.
Translation and editing, on the other hand.... we'll see.

I just really hope they consider publishing some of their manga magazines like afternoon or morning here, maybe 1-2 months delayed from the Japanese one. That would be totally awesome.
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Hopefully they'll release more Seinen/Josei works. Too much shonen/shojo crap on bookstores right now.

Yeahyeah! I hope so too I'd like to see more seinen & josei. At any rate I'm excited I hope things go well!
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Comic212 wrote:
I can also confirm that Dark Horse no longer has the license for AKIRA (licensed from Kodansha) and that Tokyopop has canceled Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad volumes 13 and 14, and this is a Kodansha-licensed title as well, so it looks like they might have lost that license.

Frak,well isn't that great,BECK got canceled. I suppose next I'll find out that Kare Kano is permanently out of print as well.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
So the rumor was true. I'd presume that current licenses will remain with their companies, considering what was said. Wouldn't mind some confirmation on that, though.

What does interest me is where this leaves Del Rey. With an exception or two, all of their manga have been licensed from Kodansha. Does this mean that they'll continue to "split" some titles between the two, or that Del Rey may have to go to other sources now?

This does leave a vague hope for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, though.
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm guessing the manga will translated? It might have missed word on this in the article, so I'm not sure.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Almost a decade ago, Kodansha experimented with a line of Kodansha Bilingual Comics that included CLAMP's Cardcaptor Sakura, Ken Akamatsu's Love Hina, and Yōzaburō Kanari and Fumiya Sato's The New Kindaichi Files (Kindaichi Case Files). Kodansha stopped publishing those titles when Tokyopop licensed the right to publish English editions of many of them.

This sounds as if Koudansha wanted to reach english readers, but the target readership for those bilingual comics have always been the japanese themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tokyopop has canceled Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad volumes 13 and 14, and this is a Kodansha-licensed title as well, so it looks like they might have lost that license.

Crap! I was relieved when I saw the Beck wasn't on Tokyopop's list of dropped titles. Now this. Volume 12 is already out, so that probably means a loooooooooong wait for volume 13. I'm hoping it won't end up like Yotsuba&...

So many of my favorite titles have such iffy futuers. HunterxHunter's creator is sick or has writer's block (depending on which rumor you believe), Saiyuki's manga-ka has also had health issues, Yotsuba& is on-again-off again...

I'm seriously at a point where I don't want to pick up any new series and am praying that the series I love (Berserk, Blade of the Immortal, HunterxHunter, Saiyuki, After School Nightmare, Beck, Tactics, etc.) will complete their Japanese and then English run...
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there already a Kodansha USA that publishes novels? I could swear that Crossfire by Miyabe Miyuki was published by Kodansha USA...

[Edit] Looks like it's Kodansha America that publishes English versions of Japanese novels. Because that's not confusing at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:

Which one? Gainax/General Products? Toei? Laughing

samuelp wrote:

It's quite possible that they will not produce product just like Japan though, since by the wording of things it looks like they'll be using local printing...

They'd have to. Import shipping will kill them.

samuelp wrote:

I just really hope they consider publishing some of their manga magazines like afternoon or morning here, maybe 1-2 months delayed from the Japanese one. That would be totally awesome.

Those won't be cheap and disposable like in Japan though. The US circulation won't be there to make it cheap (plus the US' much larger distribution area = more expensive). And American otaku will be the ones buying these (not the mainstream), and those packrat otaku wouldn't want these to be in disposable cheap paper (unlike the mainstream who'd just throw it away) for keeps.

Swissman wrote:
Quote:
Almost a decade ago, Kodansha experimented with a line of Kodansha Bilingual Comics that included CLAMP's Cardcaptor Sakura, Ken Akamatsu's Love Hina, and Yōzaburō Kanari and Fumiya Sato's The New Kindaichi Files (Kindaichi Case Files). Kodansha stopped publishing those titles when Tokyopop licensed the right to publish English editions of many of them.

This sounds as if Koudansha wanted to reach english readers, but the target readership for those bilingual comics have always been the japanese themselves.

Nevertheless, it'd be infringing on Tokyopop's English market. Kinda like reverse importation that the Japanese are so worried about.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe now we'll finally get an official English version of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MageofFire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Huh good thing I didn't go crazy and buy all of BECK up to this point. I had a feeling it would be effected either by this or the whole restructuring of Tokyopop. As for pricing in Canada for manga (I forget off hand who brought it up) it depends on where you get it I find.
e-imi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Could this mean that we could see GeGeGe no Kitaro at all? I mean, most of Tezuka's manga are being published, so why not Kitaro? Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5