• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Suspends 4 DVD Titles Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Greenfield wasn't ready to talk about ADV's current situation, but did acknowledge that the company's separation from their partnership with Sojitz left recent titles with their “fate undetermined.” He also expressed his wishes that whichever company ends up distributing the titles will hire the same voice cast to continue the production of the episodes.

No worries. It only took a year for Geneon's stuff.
Teuvan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Romeo Charlie wrote:
Teuvan wrote:
I predict that ADV and Tokyopop will fall apart within the next two years. And it will be for the better.

I'd argue that ADV has been falling apart for months now, and it'll become official sometime next week. Just watch...

Oh, it's certainly been on the road to destruction for months. When it will actually cave in significantly, however, I'm not so sure. Pretty bold statement to say it will happen next week, though. But I mean, if this news has some real significance behind it, I guess that would be possible.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Warstar77 wrote:
all adv film fans repeat after me the adv films will not fall and it will rise and all anime fans repeat this 5 times and this forum and no small talk about adv films ok
I agree warstar. Everyone stop cursing ADV! They're not in trouble! And they're not going the way of Geneon! From the looks of it they're having licensing problems Particularly with Sojitz in which about two dozen titles licensed under the deal are being recalled. So in other words, Sojitz is the problem! They stabbed ADV in the back. From what I heard it seems like ADV's partnership with Sojitz was probably not a very good idea , it was poor investment because Sojitz who was willing to negotiate with low licensing fees but suddenly flip-flopped on this deal and overcharged them.

To all those trying to curse ADV, don't spin this article. You have no sources to back up your "ADV is dead" claims because your in no way closely associate with them noir do you live in Houston.

From the looks of it, ADV is NOT going under but rather going through a "hibernation" period in which it won't aqqiure any more licenses until it finds a new Japanese investor. Rest assured, they will be plenty of new releases, but will probably be older anime titles since the company has about a few hundred licensed titles and old titles still in print.

Link to ADV's statement from AX 2008: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=7896&page=3
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to let this news ruin my FUNimation high.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So in other words, Sojitz is the problem! They stabbed ADV in the back.

What got ADV in the predicament in the first place? As an investor, Sojitz obviously expected a reasonable ROI, but they were seeing the opposite.

Ultimately, it's still ADV's fault for behaving recklessly (probably through a false sense of security since they had big backing). When a company invests, you have the responsibility of making wise business decisions so that the partner also profits.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
ADV is NOT going under but rather going through a "hibernation" period

Monty Python wrote:

[...]

Customer: I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
C: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
O: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
C: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
O: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!
C: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.
O: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!
C: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...(owner hits the cage)
O: There, he moved!
C: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!
O: I never!!

[...]
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Why do all of you want to condemn ADV? ADV has been distributing Anime for the longest time, you really think if ADV goes the industry is going to get better? Not really, we are going to lose one major chunk of Anime. FUNi, Viz , Right Stuff and Bandai will be the only major companies left. FUNi has been putting more vareity into their roster now, but they're only just beginning, and they are painfully slow, Bandai is speedy but they only do their own work, Viz only ever does the same old shounen and endless ripoffs, RightStuff well they're rather under the Radar, and I don't see much of their stuff.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Why do all of you want to condemn ADV? ADV has been distributing Anime for the longest time, you really think if ADV goes the industry is going to get better? Not really, we are going to lose one major chunk of Anime. FUNi, Viz , Right Stuff and Bandai will be the only major companies left. FUNi has been putting more vareity into their roster now, but they're only just beginning, and they are painfully slow, Bandai is speedy but they only do their own work, Viz only ever does the same old shounen and endless ripoffs, RightStuff well they're rather under the Radar, and I don't see much of their stuff.
Agreed. Everyone stop hating on ADV. If you don't like the way they code thier titles, fine. Don't think it a good idea to condem ADV, look I HATE 4Kids, but you don't see me cursing them!
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Uh where have you been right stuff announced Aria and they Have emma and Maria watches over us. Right Stuff is a smaller company so the do not go after many titles.

In terms of the ADV thing I do not see them going under at all. They are going thru some issue with the sojitz issue. And we do not know where the problem is with the deal they had. I don't think it was just ADV but both companies having issue. ADV may have low sales the what they tought and then Sojitz may have turn tail and ran instead of sticking with ADV or they may have been some issues with the Parent Company. Really we do not know and I think that they will get thru the storm. People just need to stop it with the doom and Gloom. Also I think that they have a enough back titles and still making money that way and they may be looking into other ways to get their product out.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Mindless Watcher wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
ADV is NOT going under but rather going through a "hibernation" period

Monty Python wrote:

[...]

Customer: I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
C: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
O: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
C: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
O: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!
C: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.
O: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!
C: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...(owner hits the cage)
O: There, he moved!
C: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!
O: I never!!

[...]

From the AOD forums back when the crap hit the fan in February:

bctaris wrote:
Geoduck wrote:
Why hasn't anyone done a "Dead Parrot sketch" parody yet?

Oh, fiiiine.

-----

(An American fanboy stands up at an empty anime convention panel featuring a lone company president.)

Fanboy Hello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The president does not respond.)

Fanboy Hello, Miss?
President What do you mean "miss"?
Fanboy (pause) I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!
President We're leaving for lunch.
Fanboy Never mind that. I wish to complain about this industry that I spent money to support not half an hour ago at this very convention.
President Oh yes, the, uh, the Japanese Anime Industry. What's, uh...what's wrong with it?
Fanboy I'll tell you what's wrong with it. It's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
President No, no, it's uh...it's resting.
Fanboy Look, I know a dead industry when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
President No, no, it's not dead, it's, it's resting! Remarkable industry, Japanese Anime, isn't it, yeah? Beautiful girls!
Fanboy The girls don't enter into it. It's stone dead.
President Nononono, no, no! It's resting!
Fanboy All right then, if it's resting, I'll wake it up! (shouting at empty room) Hello, anime customers! I've got a lovely little moe sister for you if you show--
President (covers mouth) I'll buy it! (uncovers mouth) There, customers!
Fanboy No, there aren't, that was you yelling!
President I never!
Fanboy Yes, you did!
President I never, never did anything...
Fanboy (yelling at the room repeatedly) HELLO ANIME FANS! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your alarm call!

(Fanboy places online orders for anime with his laptop. Everything is out of print.)

Fanboy Now that's what I call a dead industry.
President No, no, it's on order!
Fanboy On order?!
President Yeah! You ordered stuff, just as we're replicating new batches! Japanese Anime sells out easily.
Fanboy Um...now look...now look, I've definitely had enough of this. This industry is definitely deceased, and when I bought this DVD not half an hour ago, you assured me that the lack of any future volumes for this show was due to the industry correcting and streamlining itself following a prolonged boom.
President Well, it's...it's, ah...probably pining for Pokemon.
Fanboy PINING for POKEMON?! What kind of talk is that? Look, why was the DVD $80, one episode, sub-only, and a cheap knock-off of a dating sim?
President We can sell more that way! Remarkable industry, isn't? Lovely girls!
Fanboy Look, I took the liberty of looking up that show when I got home, and I discovered the only reason that it was licensed in the first place was that it was the only show left in Japan!
President (pause) Well, of course it was the last one! If it hadn't been, it would have been fansubbed, then illegally downloaded millions of times, and then VOOM!
Fanboy "VOOM"?! Sir, this show wouldn't "voom" if you had an alien, an esper, a time traveler, a classroom full of young half-dressed female mecha pilots, and a yuri subtext! It's bleedin' demised!
President No no! It's pining!
Fanboy It's not pining! It's passed on! This industry is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't wasted money on this last show it'd be pushing up the daisies! It's metabolic processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible! THIS IS AN EX-INDUSTRY!!

(pause)

President Well, I'd better make a new one, then.

(The President looks under his table.)

President Sorry, I've had a look around the business, and uh, we're right out of new ideas.
Fanboy I see. I see, I get the picture.
President (pause) I got an art box.

(pause)

Fanboy (sweetly) Pray, is it animation?
President Not...really.
Fanboy WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!
President Look, if you go to the convention next door, my president friend there will show you some trailers for new shows.
Fanboy Next door, huh? Very well.

(The Fanboy leaves.)

(The customer enters the same panel room. The President is putting on a false mustache.)

Fanboy This is the New Anime Industry convention, is it?
President (with a fake mustache) No, it's the Old Anime Industry convention.
Fanboy (looking at the camera) That's convention staff for you.

(The Fanboy goes to the convention reception area. He addresses a man standing behind a desk marked "Complaints".)

Fanboy I wish to complain.
Volunteer I DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS JOB, YOU KNOW!
Fanboy I beg your pardon...?
Volunteer I'm a qualified cosplayer! I only do this job because I like being my own boss!
Fanboy Excuse me, this is irrelevant, isn't it?
Volunteer Yeah, well it's not easy to pad this out, you know.
Fanboy Well, I wish to complain. I was directed to the New Industry Convention next door and found myself back here at the Old Industry Convention.
Volunteer No, this is the New Industry Convention.
Fanboy (to the camera) The president's friend was lying!
Volunteer Can't blame convention staff for that.
Fanboy In that case, I shall return to the panel!

(He does.)

Fanboy I understand this IS the New Industry Panel.
President (still with the fake mustache) Yes?
Fanboy You told me it was the old one!
President ...It was a pun.
Fanboy (pause) A PUN?!
President No, no...not a pun... What's that thing that spells the same backwards as forwards?
Fanboy (long pause) A palindrome...?
President Yeah, that's it!
Fanboy It's not a palindrome! The palindrome of "New Industry" would be "Yrtsudni Wen"! It don't work!
President Well, what do you want?
Fanboy I'm not prepared to pursue my line of inquiry any longer as I think this is getting too silly!

(Enter Sergeant-Major Motoko. Super Deformed style.)

Sergeant-Major (high-pitched) Quite agree, quite agree, too silly, far too silly...

[smallest]Apologies to Michael Palin, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, and Month Python in general...[/smallest]

I would have just linked to the thread, but I no longer have it bookmarked and I'm too lazy to search for it at the moment. I hope bctaris doesn't mind me sharing this.
Xtyfe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I've been lurking here following this for the past while,
but i feel i must vent...

This is not ADV's fault, or at least not directly. The ball was dropped somewhere along the line, and we as customers are feeling it pretty hard. I feel pretty pissed off that of all the series that could have been canceled, it was Kanon.

Not to mention that it was almost done, i mean this is not the first time this year that ADV pulled this kind of thing. We had that big scare at the beginning of the year too.

I was also looking forward to Shattered Angels, but thats not gunna happen now either, i honestly just want to smash some heads into the damn wall right now, as im sure we all do Smile

Do i think ADV is going down the crapper? Thing may look really bad right now, but i still think there going. I would like to see an official press release with more detail on what the hecks going on.

I think they owe us that at the very least
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Uh where have you been right stuff announced Aria and they Have emma and Maria watches over us. Right Stuff is a smaller company so the do not go after many titles.

In terms of the ADV thing I do not see them going under at all. They are going thru some issue with the sojitz issue. And we do not know where the problem is with the deal they had. I don't think it was just ADV but both companies having issue. ADV may have low sales the what they tought and then Sojitz may have turn tail and ran instead of sticking with ADV or they may have been some issues with the Parent Company. Really we do not know and I think that they will get thru the storm. People just need to stop it with the doom and Gloom. Also I think that they have a enough back titles and still making money that way and they may be looking into other ways to get their product out.
I agree with you. I kinda think that Sojitz probably changed thier mind due to the fact that they probably invested a whole lot in this titles expecting strong sales, but due to this poor economy the titles probably didn't sell as well as hoped. I really do thinkg ADV should consider Cartoon Network again, AS's saturday night anime lineup is in shambles and has been since this April. Besides Code Geass and Bleach they have a very miniscle lineup. They could use ADV again to fill the weeknight slot or could help move Shin-chin back to Weeknights instead of saturdays. Plus Starz hasn't annouced any new lineup shows yet, but they should soon.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

From the AOD forums back when the crap hit the fan in February:

Oh, nice one. Didn't know that. Looks not only all great minds think alike but us mediocre minds too. Laughing
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
ADV officially sucks. I'm keeping my Kanon preorder open but I'm beginning to care very little if ADV dies off. Once what I'm buying from them is done I'm strongly considering writing off anything else they license because of their huge inconsistency and decision to leave everyone in the dark.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how this will effect Welcome to the NHK episodes on the X-box 360 marketplace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10