• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood makes plans for Casshern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:14 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
On the Devilman issue:

I highly doubt it would have problems here. Spawn has a similar storyline to devil man with a guy getting demonic powers and stuff, but I don't remember people protesting it, and I think it did fairly well in theaters.

Oh man did that movie suck; It was the first movie that me and my girlfriend fell asleep to. And this was during the afternoon. As a fan of the HBO animated series, we were really disappointed in this one. I actually met the actor who played spawn at a comic convention a few months ago; I didn't have the heart to tell him how much that movie was a letdown.
(Especially since he seems to be a very nice guy and not to mention he's a practitioner of various martial arts styles. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )

Note: The comic gained somewhat of a controversy. A woman in Illinois tried to prevent the Spawn comics from selling via purchasing all the said comics from the shelves/racks.

Now that's a smart strategy. Rolling Eyes

Anyway yes the FCC has absolutely nothing to do with the movie industry. (Radio and Television is their thing.) But my comments regarding such were more or less an example.
Miagi you have raised valid points judging from your posts, and i for one, stand corrected. Cool
tracy

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote
hi everyone. i just registered to this forum for the sole purpose of commenting on this subject.

1. I HATE DUBS! They just detract so much from the quality of the film (or anime, whatever is dubbed). I think that all foreign films should be viewed in their original language, and if you're too lazy to read subtitles, too bad. You see, if an American studio is going to release this movie or any other and only dub it, I would oppose that in every respect, and in addition to that I would not even bother seeing it. I would much rather have a bootleg version with fansubs, even if that meant that the original creators and director wouldn't get any revenue from it. It's sad that so many Americans are so lazy and stupid that they cannot even fathom READING during a movie. Some of the best movies I've ever seen were subtitled, and had I not seen some of them, I would probably not be the person I am today.

that said,

2. I have been waiting and waiting to hear about an American release of this, and it makes me extremely upset to hear that they are already thinking of just remaking it. I cannot compare, as some of you have, Ringu to The Ring, because I never bothered seeing The Ring. I have already seen that movie and I don't need to see it again. However, I think it is safe to say that Ringu was the better movie.

God, I'm sorry if I'm making no sense. This just pisses me off so much I can't convey it in words.

3. On Miramax and the butchering of HK movies: I hate them. If I could tie Harvey Weinstein up by a very uncomfortable place below his waist and make tiny cuts in "it" with a sharp sharp razor blade, I would do so gladly. Because of him, I have to buy bootleg movies off of ebay and wait forever to get them shipped from asia. I also buy off of asiandiscs.com, koreandvds.com, and hkflicks.com if anyone wants to know where they can get real copies of butchered movies.

Again, I apologize if I don't make sense. I just had to say something because otherwise I might explode.

Oh, and if anyone knows any other cool asian flicks coming out, pm or email me. i'm running out of things to watch Smile
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:41 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:

Note: The comic gained somewhat of a controversy. A woman in Illinois tried to prevent the Spawn comics from selling via purchasing all the said comics from the shelves/racks.

Kinda like getting Enviromental Fantics to sign petitions to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide. Laughing
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:

Kinda like getting Enviromental Fantics to sign petitions to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide. Laughing

Laughing That is true. Plus, didn't the woman realize that the comic book dealer could EASILY order MORE copies of the Spawn comic(s)?! Seems to me, some people leap before they look/think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
tracy wrote:
hi everyone. i just registered to this forum for the sole purpose of commenting on this subject.

1. I HATE DUBS! They just detract so much from the quality of the film (or anime, whatever is dubbed). I think that all foreign films should be viewed in their original language, and if you're too lazy to read subtitles, too bad. You see, if an American studio is going to release this movie or any other and only dub it, I would oppose that in every respect, and in addition to that I would not even bother seeing it. I would much rather have a bootleg version with fansubs, even if that meant that the original creators and director wouldn't get any revenue from it. It's sad that so many Americans are so lazy and stupid that they cannot even fathom READING during a movie. Some of the best movies I've ever seen were subtitled, and had I not seen some of them, I would probably not be the person I am today.

that said,

2. I have been waiting and waiting to hear about an American release of this, and it makes me extremely upset to hear that they are already thinking of just remaking it. I cannot compare, as some of you have, Ringu to The Ring, because I never bothered seeing The Ring. I have already seen that movie and I don't need to see it again. However, I think it is safe to say that Ringu was the better movie.

God, I'm sorry if I'm making no sense. This just pisses me off so much I can't convey it in words.

3. On Miramax and the butchering of HK movies: I hate them. If I could tie Harvey Weinstein up by a very uncomfortable place below his waist and make tiny cuts in "it" with a sharp sharp razor blade, I would do so gladly. Because of him, I have to buy bootleg movies off of ebay and wait forever to get them shipped from asia. I also buy off of asiandiscs.com, koreandvds.com, and hkflicks.com if anyone wants to know where they can get real copies of butchered movies.

Again, I apologize if I don't make sense. I just had to say something because otherwise I might explode.

Oh, and if anyone knows any other cool asian flicks coming out, pm or email me. i'm running out of things to watch Smile

1. HELO U MUST DO AS I SAY because I AM A SUPERIAR FAN!! Not only that, How do you know the American way of not reading subtitles is born out of stupidity or ignorance? Perhaps it's because... they don't feel like reading? Not only that, perhaps you should lay off the subtitled films, because the person you are is terrible.

2. Sound trumpets for bullshit elitism. So you can say that "Ringu (despite that not being the proper name for it)" is better than "the Ring", despite the fact you've not seen the latter one. I have seen both and own both, and both are good in their own rights. Now tell me the logic in expecting something, and immidiatly being dissapointed by it. Yeesh

3. OMG I WILL ASSAINATE THEM you sound EXACTLY like these fourteen-year-old crying dipshit anti 4kids anti ANYTFIN DAT DUN MAEK ME FEEL ORIGINAL psuedo-intellectual bullshit artists, except you're complaining more.

Grow up.
tracy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:29 am Reply with quote
look, i wasn't trying to offend anyone, nor was I attacking anyone personally, as you seem to be fond of. I was merely stating my opinion on subtitles. At no point did I say that all americans are stupid and lazy. and how can you call me a terrible person for stating my opinion on a FORUM, made for that purpose? It seems that you are the immature person here, not me. It also seems that you need to seriously take a look at your communication skills.

I wrote my thoughts on the subject and was attacked. That's fine, because you are also entitled to your opinion. However, one post on one message board by me gives you ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA THE PERSON THAT I AM NOR DOES IT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO JUDGE ME PERSONALLY.

It makes me really sad that people who come to this forum to say one thing about SUBTITLES get atatcked PERSONALLY for no reason. I think you are the terrible person here for making an ass of yourself, and obviouslt you are the person who needs to grow up. You sound like a ten year old, only less articulate.

This is bullshit. Thank you for being a complete asshole and I hope you are not an example of everyone on this board. I hope you're satisfied that your personal attack pissed me off, as I'm sure that was your aim, which I will no longer serve.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:53 am Reply with quote
Y'see this is what i loathe when it comes to forums, I.E. when someone who is new to the board gets dissed just because another poster may disagree with his/her opinions.and what makes it even worse is profane language that takes it to another level altogether. utter lack of respect.
Rolling Eyes
Quote:
Thank you for being a complete not-so-nice-person and I hope you are not an example of everyone on this board. I hope you're satisfied that your personal attack pissed me off, as I'm sure that was your aim, which I will no longer serve.
Now this is an prominent example of Fanboy Rage
when some idiot will go as far as to harass another poster for objecting to his/her post. And for the record, as someone who is a guest to the forums, i can tell ya that most of the posters are not Anal jerks. (even the ones that are would not go as far as to post obcene profanity and stalk via AIM) Sigh.

Anyway as TonyK would say; Welcome to the forums. Cool

Last edited by the_soultaker on Fri May 07, 2004 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
disagree with the last part, but even then, it doesn't disprove my point. Let's say there's a movie that manages to piss off conservatives to the point that not a single one will see it in theaters. A nationwide release wouldn't make sense, but the firestorm we'd see in the media about this incredibly controversial movie would surely interest enough people to fill some big-city theaters.

You should look into the marketing of the film, Mel showed it to thousands of church leaders in the months leading up to release, building the buzz. A major percentage of Christians, who make up about 80% of the theistic population of the united states, follow these leaders, who had agreed to promote the movie to their flocks. Peer pressure comes into play, where it gets to the point where you're not a good Christian unless you go watch Mel's whip-a-thon. As was said on Frontline last week "You can win the White House with just the Evangelical vote". It doesn't matter if anyone else goes to see it, because you'll still rake in 400 million from the multiple viewings by the same group.

Quote:
Any studio that dared to make a movie like this would never think of backing off to appease segment of the country that was offended; they want to sell tickets to everybody else.

They just don't release it at all, they sit on it for eternity and then release it to video without any fanfare. The same thing happened with a movie that the bootleggers like to sell as "Hackers 2". Miramax made a movie about Kevin Mitnick with the guy who caught him. The movie was so ludicrously innaccurate that a major campaign started that spread throughout the community, hackers or not to stop the film from being released. To this date, it's on DVD in Germany, but that's the only country its reared its ugly head in.
tracy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Y'see this is what i loathe when it comes to forums, I.E. when someone who is new to the board gets dissed just for because another poster may disagree with his/her opinions.and what makes it even worse is profane language that takes it to another level altogether. utter lack of respect.
Rolling Eyes

you have a good point. i apologize for my use of profane language on your board. it was inappropriate, and i was upset.

ps - i like your avatar.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
I felt the 'attack' was well deserved, as you were making half-baseless claims and ranitng about them as if you were somehow superior. If subtitled films make someone like that, then they'd better stay off them.

Once again, just because you have an opinion, don't expect to not be taken up on it.

Oh and soultaker, I did that not because she was new, but because she was spouting rubbish.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quote
tracy wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:
Y'see this is what i loathe when it comes to forums, I.E. when someone who is new to the board gets dissed just for because another poster may disagree with his/her opinions.and what makes it even worse is profane language that takes it to another level altogether. utter lack of respect.
Rolling Eyes

you have a good point. i apologize for my use of profane language on your board. it was inappropriate, and i was upset.

ps - i like your avatar.

Thanks!

Although it's not cool to use profanities on this board (I saw more than enough of that on Aintitcoolnews.com's postings. Wink ) i can't really fault ya, but out of respect for this site (and ourselves as well.) we should be mindful to "keep it clean". Check out Teh rules. Cool
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I felt the 'attack' was well deserved, as you were making half-baseless claims and ranitng about them as if you were somehow superior. If subtitled films make someone like that, then they'd better stay off them.

Once again, just because you have an opinion, don't expect to not be taken up on it.

Oh and soultaker, I did that not because she was new, but because she was spouting rubbish.

Uh Steventheeunch, Regardless if she was spouting "rubbish" she or anyone else does not deserve to be cussed at and treated in such a manner as you have done.
By posting profane statements and antagonizing someone because their opinions don't reflect yours, is blatant disrespect not only to the poster,this site but yourself as well.

There are a few poster's opinions i may find objectionable, but it's all good, because everyone is entitled to excercise their opinions.And even when i was in a flame thread with 2 or more posters/moderator, It never got that ugly as far as i'm concerned.
(And as i have also stated, I do not approve of Miramax handling of HK action films.Can you say "Herioc Trio"? Rolling Eyes the same sentiment can be said for Artisan who butchered Jet Li's Black Mask with poor dubbing and
hip-hop music that did not mesh with the action sequences.)

anyway i'm going way OT with this.

L8TR
tracy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
this is ridiculous. please forgive me for thinking i could post an opinion, your highness. i deeply apologize.

i am not some sort of elitist, nor am i a "psuedo intellectual ** artist." i do not like to watch dubbed films. it is a personal preference. i also do not like the fact that american releases get cut and hacked by film companies, because it honestly does not preserve the idea of the film. i do not need to watch the ring because i have already seen that movie. i did not say it was a bad movie, i just said i already know which one i will like better. for bringing american attention to japanese cinema, i actually greatly appreciate the fact that is was made.

i do not beleive i am superior, nor do i care what you think. at this point, i have been led to believe that you are a complete jerk with no regards for anyone's feelings because you have acted in that manner towards me. but what if you are a really nice person who pets kittens and just happens to piss and moan about other people's opinions as a part of your religion or something. i don't know because i don't know you. and you don't know me, so i would appreciate it if you stopped making personal comments.

as for spouting rubbish, again i am sorry for penetrating your security. i was not aware that this board belonged to you and that i was not allowed to post anything that did not agree with your opinions and ideals.

i would like to state that i do not have a problem with anyone who watches dubbed films. to each his own. i have a problem with the dubbing and cutting itself. i also have a problem with people who judge other people based on their preferences, so if you would please excuse me, i have better things to do with my time than sit here and argue with your closed-minded perspective any further.

thank you so much for your hospitality. i hope that everyone you meet in your future displays the same courteous and welcoming behavior you have shown me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:11 pm Reply with quote
tracy wrote:
this is ridiculous. please forgive me for thinking i could post an opinion, your highness. i deeply apologize.

i am not some sort of elitist, nor am i a "psuedo intellectual ** artist." i do not like to watch dubbed films. it is a personal preference. i also do not like the fact that american releases get cut and hacked by film companies, because it honestly does not preserve the idea of the film. i do not need to watch the ring because i have already seen that movie. i did not say it was a bad movie, i just said i already know which one i will like better. for bringing american attention to japanese cinema, i actually greatly appreciate the fact that is was made.

i do not beleive i am superior, nor do i care what you think. at this point, i have been led to believe that you are a complete jerk with no regards for anyone's feelings because you have acted in that manner towards me. but what if you are a really nice person who pets kittens and just happens to piss and moan about other people's opinions as a part of your religion or something. i don't know because i don't know you. and you don't know me, so i would appreciate it if you stopped making personal comments.

as for spouting rubbish, again i am sorry for penetrating your security. i was not aware that this board belonged to you and that i was not allowed to post anything that did not agree with your opinions and ideals.

i would like to state that i do not have a problem with anyone who watches dubbed films. to each his own. i have a problem with the dubbing and cutting itself. i also have a problem with people who judge other people based on their preferences, so if you would please excuse me, i have better things to do with my time than sit here and argue with your closed-minded perspective any further.

thank you so much for your hospitality. i hope that everyone you meet in your future displays the same courteous and welcoming behavior you have shown me.

It is fully within Stevetheeunuch's user agreement to disagree with you, Tracy. Just as you can disagree with him, he is allowed to disagree with you. He also doesn't have to be extra-super nice, or welcoming, or accomodating. He can just disagree and dismiss your opinion. You can do the same thing to him. Swearing isn't allowed, but that's the only thing he did that bends our rules.

You are being unnecessarily dramatic about this. He disagreed with you. That's his right. Deal with it.

-Z
Toshishige

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I just found out about this so thanks for the news.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4