• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clever/Intelligent Character Tournament: Pairings/Guide.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the ones dtm42 provided, others I would still like to see done by someone else for Group C are:

Szilard Quates, Baccano!
Ken and (separately) Koushiro Izumi, Digimon Adventures
Count D, Pet Shop of Horrors
Ichiro Mihara, Angelic Layer
Hajime Saito, Ruroni Kenshin
Twenty Faces, Chiko Heiress of the Phantom Thief
Nico Robin, One Piece
Kazuya Shibuya, Ghost Hunt
Hotaru Imai, Gakuen Alice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll do Count D and the Digimon characters...just give me a minute or so. -.-'

Count D, Pet Shop of Horrors
Type: Manipulator
Description: Count D's effeminate demeanor soothes even the edgiest customers that walk into his pet shop. However, it is the humans, not his beloved pets, that soon become the lab animals for Count D's cautionary tales. He chooses each deadly animal specifically for its foolish owner, promising them love and happiness in exchange for a simple contract, different for each peculiar pet. He knows, however, that their flaws will lead them to break the contract, and then...well, that's one less human to bother the haughty, nature-loving Count D...

Izzy (Koushiro) Izumi, Digimon Adventure and 02
Type: Prodigy
Description: Izzy is the brainy glue that holds the rest of the dysfunctional Digi-bunch together. He carries his laptop everywhere and is able to research aspects of the digital world through hacking the mainframe, as well as looking up info about everything through the internet. He's always practical in the toughest times, and knows how to react fast to sticky situations. He doesn't bear the Crest of Knowledge for nothing. "That's prodigious!"

Ken Ichijouji, Digimon 02
Type: Prodigy/Mastermind
Description: The bad egg of the Digi-destined, Ken was the best at everything he did and pandered to by proud parents, but it came at a cost. His massive intelligence was gained through a dark wish to become like his late prodigious older brother, so he fought hard to keep it and prove himself worthy of the unexpected gift. After becoming the most intelligent child his age on Earth, he hacked into the digital world looking for a challenge. Through his enslavement of powerful Digimon and seat as Digimon Emperor, he posed a great obstacle for the Digi-destined to defeat. Ken continued to use his intelligence for good once he was able to admit defeat.

Last edited by JacobC on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I'll do Count D and the Digimon characters...just give me a minute or so. -.-'

No need to hurry. If I have them by Sunday, it's cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
velocet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Ichiro 'Icchan' Mihara - Angelic Layer
Type: Mad Scientist, technical genius
A true ‘mad scientist’ in appearance, but deep down very technically gifted and creative. The dolls that Angelic Layer is centred around are his creations, with complex functionality and differing design types, they have been perfected for consumer use by all ages, using a device that lets a 'deus' control them using their own minds using a headset that sends a signal to the doll. This remarkable technology was pioneered originally to help those who cannot use their limbs anymore, regain use of them through artificial means. He's quite an oddball, but a very intelligent scientist and technician.

Nico Robin - One Piece
Type: Bookworm, deceptive mastermind
Robin began life as a typical bookworm kid - spending all her time at the library, she became a qualified archeologist aged 8, and was able to decipher a complicated dead language from an era that was historically erased. Tragic circumstances see her forced to fend for herself from that time, however. She survived in a chaotic and unforgiving world, completely alone with only her quick wits to deceive and betray whoever she was with in order to survive. As an adult, Robin is composed and devious, and will do anything to accomplish her goal of learning the lost history.

Hotaru Imai - Gakuen Alice
Type: Girl-genius, calculating, devious
Hotaru has a form of technology 'Alice' or form of special powers that give her the ability to create unique, highly functional, and always adorable inventions. However, her intellect is not just limited to this, as she is a smart, collected little girl who is very devious when it comes to accomplishing what she wants (which is usually money) by any means possible, including exploiting her best friend. Hotaru's poker face often means you don't know what she's thinking, but she can formulate an appropriate plan at short notice, and is always prepared for whatever chaos that arises in her life.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I meant to do this over the weekend, but my friend was home for the last time before he's transferred to New Orleans, so that took precedence.

Szilard Quates, Baccano!
Type: Alchemist, Manipulator
In terms of raw information, Szilard is probably the smartest person in the entire story of Baccano spoiler[prior to his death], as when the immortals consume each other, they obtain all the memories and knowledge of the one they eat, and Szilard made it his goal to eat as many of the other immortals as he could. He used the half of the formula he obtained to create imperfect immortals. Szilard also successfully learned how to create homunculus, and through a Machiavellian combination of fear and admiration manipulated homunculus and incomplete immortals into doing his bidding.

Twenty Faces, Daughter of Twenty Faces
Type: Master Thief, Scientist
In addition to his ability to disguise himself, Twenty Faces regularly plots and executes incredible heists of famous and well-guarded works of art, as well as destroying various hidden super-weapons left over from the war. Before the war, Twenty Faces had been a researcher studying the fourth state of water, but destroyed his work after realizing the destructive power of its results.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Here are the Group D needs/wants for Guide entries. Names in bold are ones from series that I've had trouble tracking down information on in the past, so they must be done by someone who's seen it or the individual won't have a guide entry.

Needs:
Satoshi Shirase, Battle Programmer Shirase
Taichi Hiraga-Keaton, Master Keaton
Dr. Tenma, Astro Boy
Kanone Hilbert, Spiral
Kururu , Sgt. Frog
Daisuke Aurora, Heat Guy J
Nami, One Piece
Alexander Howell, Ceres
Medicine Seller, Mononoke
Hildegrad von Mariendorf, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Kugen Tenko, Wagaya no Oinarisama
Rental Guy, Nerima Daikon Brothers
Satoshi Himawari/Hikari, DNAngel

Wants:
Joker, Read or Die
Shi Ryuuki, Story of Saiunkoku
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I can do Alexander Howell and Joker since I've seen both of their anime titles. I'll have them up shortly.

Joker (Read or Die)
Type: Manipulator/ Leader
As president of the British Library, Joker led his agents with a calm demeanor giving them all the information needed for mission objectives and enemy targets. Beyond his calm and laid back personality though is a clever opportunist. With political connections to the British government, he uses this influence to persuade military and political figures into his cause, whether for a mission or for his personal gain. He is also clever enough to exploit the weaknesses of those who threaten him thanks to the vast amount of information sources that the Library has access to.

Alexander Howell (Ayashi no Ceres)
Type: Scientist/ Computer Genius
Alexander Howell was the scientist who developed much of the technology and scientific knowledge used by the Mikage family to learn about the tennyo reincarnants and their locations. Unlike the people he works for who wish to exploit the power of the tennyo to better humanity, Alex constantly questions the morality of their actions in regards to their treatment of the tennyo.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Somebody (I think classicalzawa) said they were planning on campaigning for Master Keaton, so you should have that one Smile If you don't have one by Saturday/Sunday, I can do one too, but I don't think it would be as good. I haven't seen Master Keaton in a long while.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm no English major, but I'll try my hand at a few (and put some pictures there too). I doubt that anyone else will really be able to do Dr. Tenma (Astro Boy), I nominated him, and only one other person seconded him (which leads me to believe that not too many people know much about him), so I'll throw that one in too. I am not far enough into Legend of the Galactic Heroes to do that entrant (I've yet to even encounter him). These should each be about 100 words if my word counter was correct. A note for Dr. Tenma in particular, the picture and these actions are from the 2003 series (because he doesn't do too much in the 1980 series other than build Astro), so if you want to add that this is for 2003 series in particular, feel free.

Dr. Tenma, Astro Boy
Type: Mad scientist
Support: Dr. Tenma is the inventor of Astro/Atom, the first robot with "kokoro" (roughly: soul). However, Dr. Tenma goes beyond making Astro, then disappearing from the story, he continues to build robots including a robot double of himself. If Astro is damaged to a state considered beyond repair, Dr. Tenma can still fix him without his blueprints. Dr. Tenma is widely recognized as the leading robot designer and builder of his time and was the head of the Ministry of Science before his mental status came into question after he built Astro as a replacement for his recently deceased son, Tobio.

http://www.absoluteanime.com/astro_boy_2003/dr_tenma.jpg

Taichi Hiraga-Keaton, Master Keaton
Type: Investigator, Professor, Renaissance Man
Support: Considered a "Master of Life", Taichi Keaton has a lot of knowledge and experience. He's an archaeology professor at a university, an insurance investigator who deals with clients with murderous intents, has top survival skills in any environment, vast knowledge of the cultures of the world, and military training. Taichi Keaton is the ultimate renaissance man who knows how to do something in every situation, from making effective homemade weapons, planning attacks, surviving harsh conditions, bluffing, outwitting opponents, solving mysteries, using weather or environmental conditions to his advantage in combat, or helping an old lady find her long lost friend.

http://storage.kanshin.com/free/img_36/361547/k1977378389.jpg
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Kugen Tenko, Wagaya no Oinarisama
Type: Trickster
Despite frequently appearing to be simplistic, lazy, and gluttonous, Kugen Tenko is a cunning fox (literally). While Kugen has a reputation as a very powerful spirit, she more often than not defeats her enemies through cleverness and trickery rather than brute force. She almost always manages to stay a step or two ahead of malicious spirits, which is no mean feat when her task is to protect two young boys, one of whom is dangerously naive. Kugen uses her sex appeal and ability to assume either male or female form to her advantage, whether by charming free food from people, or to take foes unaware of her second form by surprise. Despite having been trapped in a cave for the past hundred years, Kugen is able to quickly adapt to new technology and utilize it to her advantage (in one instance, she uses a cell phone to break out of a supernatural trap only a day after learning how to use one).
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
Hildegard von Mariendorf from Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Type: sharp-witted, persuasive negotiator
nice Hilda, sly Hilda
Support: She is a good judge of character as she could correctly conclude how people behave under certain circumstances. She proved to be politically astute. Hilda correctly predicted that Reinhard was going to win the civil war because Reinhard's fleet was unified whereas aristocrats lacked support of lower soldiers, commanders, etc. Her ability to predict the outcome of the battle between Yang Wen-li and Reinhard and thanks to her persuasive arguments that she presented to Mittermeyer she was able to convince him that there is a better way to help Reinhard than going to the Varmilion Starzone besides he can't have made it on time anyway.

I don't know if the guide entry for Rienhard was noticed so I post it here
Quote:
Reinhard, Legend of the Galactic Heroes franchise
Type: Genius Tactician, Leader
picture
Support: Reinhard’s tactical abilities allowed him to be quickly promoted and become Rear Admiral at the very young age. His elaborated plans and proficiency at executing them enabled him to defeat Free Planets Alliance in battles many times and keep casualties to the minimum. His intelligence let him solve mysterious death of one of the students from his former school even though he had no experience and intention to work as detective.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Shirase aka BPS, Battle Programmer Shirase
Type: Computer Whiz

Shirase is for the most part a young lazy bum, living in an apartment owned by his niece, and is brought food by his grand niece at times. However, Shirase is renowned in the underground computer as a top hacker and programmer. He was the top student of his class, but abruptly left the Battle Program for mysterious reasons. However, his skills in the computer world have caught the eyes of corporations, the National Defense Force and even the National Guard of the United States. Notable feats include creating a virus from cell phone to battle a supercomputer, using four keyboards at once to create firewalls against hackers trying to get into the National Defense Force, and saving the National Guard from hackers as well, just when their firewall was about to go out. Also has a knack for obsolete computer parts.
velocet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Nami - One Piece
Type: Streetwise, devious
Nami has had to rely on her intelligence for both survival as well as personal gain from a very young age. Tricking and outwitting countless pirate crews, she amassed a huge sum of money in a short period of time to save her village from tyrannical rule. Nami is also a skilled navigator - in context this requires rapid processing of all the many capricious factors the sea and weather have to throw at a vessel in any situation, and then being able to make the right decisions. She succeeds in battles purely through wit, and through knowing how best to apply the weapons she has in her arsenal.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
That leaves the following wants/needs with about 1.5 days left (but really I'd like to have this done by the end of today):

Needs:
Kanone Hilbert, Spiral
Kururu , Sgt. Frog
Daisuke Aurora, Heat Guy J
Medicine Seller, Mononoke
Rental Guy, Nerima Daikon Brothers
Satoshi Himawari/Hikari, DNAngel

Wants:
Shi Ryuuki, Story of Saiunkoku

Last edited by Key on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Kanone Hilbert (Spiral)
Type: Manipulator/ Leader
As leader of the Blade Children, Kanone trained Eyes and the other children in the various means they use to defend themselves and kill those who threaten to expose them. Beyond his friendly personality though, Kanone is a sadistic manipulator who tries persuading the Blade Children they have no hope of gaining salvation from their fates as cursed children. He will even go so far as to turn against the Blade Children to prevent them from gaining any hope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28