• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Only Yesterday > Grave of the Fireflies.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanabedamned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
While I find Grave to be an amazing movie, the truth is it was a simple tale of survival that happened to contain a tragic ending that left people feeling it was the best movie ever made.

It has been hogging the limelight for too long!
The movie Only yesterday made by the same director, Isao Takahata, right after Grave, is an even more amazing tail of the past and how it shapes how a person is. It shows how the past can be relooked at to change ones perception of their whole life. Perhaps it has been avoided all these years because its ending is far less depressing, but I believe one thing to be true: Unlike Grave, Only yesterday is a far more complex, far more imaginative, far more original, far more intelligent, far more down to earth movie, that leaves one seeking self-reflection. It is the superior film and I only wish more people would seek it out! Shocked
BlahBloke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
agree, its one of the anime that made one wanna cry... poor siblings... and the horrific burned mother.. and how they burried her.

apparently its the only anime made by that guy (sorry.... cant remenber the name, even me and my mum is big fan... i got all his anime on dvd) with tragic ending.

however, dont make the sad story blind our eye! they deserved all! the japanese waged the war around the whole asia and america, and caused billions of tragic story on other people, so its just really their payday, try their own medcine. (i hated that bit of his father flashback! they arnt protectiong japan! they are attacking other country)

{MODERATION NOTICE: Next time, make an effort to READ and UNDERSTAND the post you are supposedly responding to. Also, if English isn't your first language, say so. If English is your first language, I weep for you. -- abunai}
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Wanabedamned wrote:
While I find Grave to be an amazing movie, the truth is it was a simple tale of survival that happened to contain a tragic ending that left people feeling it was the best movie ever made.

It's rather ignorant to assume all Grave of the Fireflies is is just a "simple tale of survival." The movie itself is meant to be a war drama focused on events through a civilian's perspective which many war movies don't delve into, not war action through the eyes of a soldier like you would find with movies like Saving Private Ryan. The movie was more focused on Setsuko and Seita trying to maintain as much normalcy in their lives as possible while waiting for the return of their father as well as the measures being taken by the adults to ration and work to support the war.

There is also the emphasis on how relying on one's own pride to get through problems can be costly. In this case, Seita chose not to swallow his pride to live with his aunt which could have allowed him to live on beyond the war. The aunt might have seemed cruel to him and Setsuko, but she was living her own stressful times in making sure there was still food for everyone living with her to eat. She especially grew concerned when Seita and Setsuko finally decide to leave her.

The movie even has the credential to be semi-autobiographical as it is based on a book whose author had a sister who died from malnutrition during World War II and left to fend for himself when his family separated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wanabedamned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Wanabedamned wrote:

It's rather ignorant to assume all Grave of the Fireflies is is just a "simple tale of survival." The movie itself is meant to be a war drama focused on events through a civilian's perspective which many war movies don't delve into, not war action through the eyes of a soldier like you would find with movies like Saving Private Ryan. The movie was more focused on Setsuko and Seita trying to maintain as much normalcy in their lives as possible while waiting for the return of their father as well as the measures being taken by the adults to ration and work to support the war.

There is also the emphasis on how relying on one's own pride to get through problems can be costly. In this case, Seita chose not to swallow his pride to live with his aunt which could have allowed him to live on beyond the war. The aunt might have seemed cruel to him and Setsuko, but she was living her own stressful times in making sure there was still food for everyone living with her to eat. She especially grew concerned when Seita and Setsuko finally decide to leave her.

The movie even has the credential to be semi-autobiographical as it is based on a book whose author had a sister who died from malnutrition during World War II and left to fend for himself when his family separated.

2 things. One...don't you guys have spoiler tags?
Two, I was calling both of them excellent, but found the other movie Only Yesterday to be even more affective to me and am constantly surprised it is hardly heard of.

Now I appreciate your perhaps better summary of the tale, but the truth is I was hoping to hear from someone that has actually seen both movies.

I find, when talking of ignorance, to respond to a thread where someone feels one movie is better then other, it's usually good for you to have seen both before you respond.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't really understand why you would try and compare these two diverse movies simply because they had the same director.

I have seen both, and I agree that Only Yesterday was better, however Grave of the Fireflies is more widely distributed and known. If I am not mistaken (and I didn't just go look, I searched to buy this quite awhile ago) Only Yesterday doesn't have a US release, which of course makes it harder for many to see.

To compare them however in the way you did is not fair to either show though, to say Only Yesterday is more down to earth, original, intelligent, complex (this one I completely disagree with) and imaginative and one that leave people seeking self-reflection (which I am sure Grave could do as well) are all fairly subjective, and an unfair comparison when talking about two such different films.

When people tell me they liked Grave of the Fireflies and think it's a masterpiece, I recommend to them to see Barefoot Gen, which in my opinion is a vastly superior commentary on war, and really does engage your emotions. If someone told me how much they loved Only Yesterday, I may suggest something like Whisper of the Heart.

Now, I do wish Only Yesterday were more widely known as well, but sadly, I doubt it will ever be licensed here.

Also, I don't think the above poster stated he hadn't seen Only Yesterday, he was merely making a point that reducing Grave to a mere survival tale may have been trivializing the show...
everyone has different opinions about Grave around here, some love it and some others thought it was emotionally manipulative.
Wanabedamned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I don't really understand why you would try and compare these two diverse movies simply because they had the same director.

I have seen both, and I agree that Only Yesterday was better, however Grave of the Fireflies is more widely distributed and known. If I am not mistaken (and I didn't just go look, I searched to buy this quite awhile ago) Only Yesterday doesn't have a US release, which of course makes it harder for many to see.

To compare them however in the way you did is not fair to either show though, to say Only Yesterday is more down to earth, original, intelligent, complex (this one I completely disagree with) and imaginative and one that leave people seeking self-reflection (which I am sure Grave could do as well) are all fairly subjective, and an unfair comparison when talking about two such different films.

When people tell me they liked Grave of the Fireflies and think it's a masterpiece, I recommend to them to see Barefoot Gen, which in my opinion is a vastly superior commentary on war, and really does engage your emotions. If someone told me how much they loved Only Yesterday, I may suggest something like Whisper of the Heart.

Now, I do wish Only Yesterday were more widely known as well, but sadly, I doubt it will ever be licensed here.

Also, I don't think the above poster stated he hadn't seen Only Yesterday, he was merely making a point that reducing Grave to a mere survival tale may have been trivializing the show...
everyone has different opinions about Grave around here, some love it and some others thought it was emotionally manipulative.

I suppose you could say it's partly in an effort to get the movies name out there. At least a discussion about Only Yesterday would encourage people to see it.

I've seen Whisper of the Heart and Barefoot Gen as well (that bomb drop scene is scarred into my mind) and I suppose a discussion about which one of those is better would make just as little sense. However like those 2, Only Yesterday and Grave of the Fireflies is a good example of 2 movies being amazing, and yet only one of them ever getting noticed. Because Only Yesterday's director has done a very well known movie like Grave, I find it is good to tie Grave into the discussion so people can say "Well I know he made that...didn't know he made this though".

Above all else I still stick by my belief that if you want to experience director Isao Takahata's best work, you should check out Only Yesterday and not Grave of the Fireflies. Overall I think that is the point I'm trying to get at.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:

Actually, I've seen Only Yesterday via fansubs. And you're right, I wasn't arguing against the movie. I was arguing against Grave of the Fireflies being nothing but a 'survival war movie.' I have no problem with either movie as both have their differences in themes that they try conveying to their audiences.

As for Only Yesterday in America, from what I've heard, Disney has licensing rights to the movie yet refuse to distribute it to video in America. Some speculate that this was due to a couple scenes in the movie that Disney thought would tarnish the company's family image. The two scenes of concern are spoiler[a family bathing scene with Taeko] and spoiler[menstruation being immaturely discussed by grade school kids.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
As for Only Yesterday in America, from what I've heard, Disney has licensing rights to the movie yet refuse to distribute it to video in America. Some speculate that this was due to a couple scenes in the movie that Disney thought would tarnish the company's family image. The two scenes of concern are spoiler[a family bathing scene with Taeko] and spoiler[menstruation being immaturely discussed by grade school kids.]

I haven't seen this movie, but that first scene wouldn't make much sense, as the already-Disney-distributed Totoro showed the same thing without any apparent qualms.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

I haven't seen this movie, but that first scene wouldn't make much sense, as the already-Disney-distributed Totoro showed the same thing without any apparent qualms.

Not to mention a certain part of tanuki anatomy in Pom Poko is somehow more worrisome than a spoiler[childish conversation about menstruation.]

I'm not sure how much stock to put into such rumors about why Disney has yet to release Only Yesterday. Frankly, I think it's partly because it won't pull in a great number of sales. Even though it's one of Ghibli's best, I can see a lot of people, especially non-adults, viewing Only Yesterday as a boring film. It also doesn't have the charming art style of My Neighbors the Yamadas to initially carry it.

Though I already have bought the R2 DVD of it, I'd love to buy an R1 release. Here's hoping Disney releases this with the upcoming Ghibli releases they may have planned.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
I've got Only Yesterday sitting right here on my shelf, alongside the rest of the Ghibli collection. At the very least, Only Yesterday is easily available in the UK.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that it's not available in the US. Confused
Otaku-Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
I've got Only Yesterday sitting right here on my shelf, alongside the rest of the Ghibli collection. At the very least, Only Yesterday is easily available in the UK.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that it's not available in the US. Confused

I was just about to ask if Only Yesterday was released in the U.S. I guess not though. Oh well it looks like I have to order one from the UK Very Happy .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1