• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter From The Encyclopedist [2008-10-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this is my first shot at this:

Has anyone else had this much trouble figuring out titles of shows they've seen when they browse by letter? Anime dazed For instance, I had to halt at "Holic," which turned out to be XXXHolic as well as Japanese language-only listed titles for Now and Then, Here and There and The Place Promised in Our Early Days, which were only tipped off to me by the words "Ima" and "Yakusoku" respectively, halting something in my mind that made me click the link and go "Hey, I've seen this, but I wouldn't know by the Japanese title here!" Goodness knows how many I've really seen and missed because of this language barrier thing... Shocked Razz

It even happened backwards with things like Kyo Kara Maoh! I passed up "You're King from Now On" until I saw the fine print, and thought...I know that shonen-ai-fest! Laughing Same with "The One Being Sung." Uh...they didn't translate Utawarerumono into English, for reasons unknown to me...

...I've seen 184 anime from beginning to end, and way more than that only in part. I'm a little depressed, honestly. Laughing

(How do you make lists public?!)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Though I am curious why (using Dargonxtc's profile as an example) the MyAnime shows nothing in My Collection, but there are quite clearly DVDs listed in their collection for MyGoods?

I don't follow you; I have no trouble seeing Dargonxtc's collection.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Has anyone else had this much trouble figuring out titles of shows they've seen when they browse by letter? Anime dazed For instance, I had to halt at "Holic," which turned out to be XXXHolic as well as Japanese language-only listed titles for Now and Then, Here and There and The Place Promised in Our Early Days

For each anime, multiple titles are listed precisely because different people are familiar with different names. If you don't know a name, you can simply skip it and the name that you're familiar with will be listed somewhere else. For example you could've skipped over "Holic" and when you reached the letter X you would've found "XXXHolic". You could've skipped over "Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku" and when you reached the letter N you would've found "Now and Then, Here and There". You probably got the impression that "Now and Then, Here and There" was not listed because you added it once you found it under "I", and once you add a title to your anime it's no longer displayed in that list.

JesuOtaku wrote:
(How do you make lists public?!)

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83242
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4