• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cease & Desist Letters for Eva: 1.0, Soul Eater Fansubs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

PS: If you listen, then answer this: You sent a C&D letter. What is the alternative to fansubs for Soul Eater? I'll tell you: NONE. It's fansubs or nothing.

There is an alternate: Supporting the official dvd release in Japan, even if it hasn't caught up. You could also go through watching the raws, which are still easily obtainable if you want to finish the series. There's also a way to actually watch the series as it airs in Japan, alot easier than it was in the past. If you don't understand what's going on, you can always go look up summaries for the episode, as people make blogs for this series that go over the main points of the episode.

To say that there is no alternative is pretty untrue.

Reading your other post, I realize it's expensive to import and honestly, it's hard on my budget (Worse on me, since I don't have a real source of income as of yet). However, I do try to support the official releases in some fashion, whether it means importing or buying the locally released DVDs. Really, if you're a fan you should support the release, whether it means going through importing or not but only when funds allow it.

You're kidding right? OK, maybe I phrased the question wrongly. I'll change it: "There is no REASONABLE alternative to watch the series FROM THE EPISODES fansubs left off". I don't want to wait for "the DVDs to catch up". That will take 9 months. Why the hell would I wait 9 months? And why should I go through the trouble to watch the raws, and then go look for summaries to see what I didn't understand, when I could just watch a fansub?

Also, downloading watching fansubs is bad, but downloading and watching the raws is OK? Can you say "hypocrisy"?
Miitan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
I guess I should go download the fansubs before they get harder to find them and then if I like the series and they ever get licensed, I can buy the DVDs. I never had any interest in them before, but now I think I'll go check them out because bad publicity is still publicity.

Telling someone not to do something is the most surefire way to make sure they do it, it's human nature.

All this announcement will do, as people have said before, is have either a.) LQ fansubs with questionable subtitles released by no-name groups or b.) HQ fansubs from a group with a different name who's style seems suspiciously like one of the groups issued with a C&D, just like we had with FMA.

Oh, and I bought far too many anime DVDs this month. Sad
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
I really shouldn't have dragged myself into this... But here goes.

DmonHiro wrote:
And why should I go through the trouble to watch the raws, and then go look for summaries to see what I didn't understand, when I could just watch a fansub?

Seriously, if you want to watch the rest of the series, that's a reasonable way of doing so. I'm not trying to be rude, but saying that it isn't is rather laughable. Believe it or not, there are alot of shows that don't get fansubs or subs in any shape or form, and people either relay on their knowledge of Japanese (fluent or not fluent) and/or they go through blogs/sites/forums that cover each episode.

Quote:
Also, downloading watching fansubs is bad, but downloading and watching the raws is OK? Can you say "hypocrisy"?

No way did I say that downloading raws is alright. The way I worded it probably came out wrong and I generally tend to do this. So I apologize. What I meant to get across is that there are ways to watch it, whether through legal means or not, if you really want to continue the series. I'm not going to say that watching raws (although, this depends on how exactly you watch them) is right and legal, because it isn't. But if you really want to continue the series, you can sure as do so by doing what I said.

Regardless, that's all I'm going to say on this matter. I'd rather not get dragged into this debate any further than that. I just felt I needed to address this.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Seriously, if you want to watch the rest of the series, that's a reasonable way of doing so. I'm not trying to be rude, but saying that it isn't is rather laughable. Believe it or not, there are alot of shows that don't get fansubs or subs in any shape or form, and people either relay on their knowledge of Japanese (fluent or not fluent) and/or they go through blogs/sites/forums that cover each episode.

Mou~

Yes, that is a way to watch anime that has no fansubs. It's true, and people do it all the time. I watched plenty of raws, cause I coudn't wait for subs, I had to see how Asura would be revived, and my japanese is good enough to watch anime.

However, that is not the point. Yes, it possible to do that, but it's much easier to just watch a fansub. Why would the average-joe go through all that trouble?

PS: To the funimation guy who said the company is "listening". You haven't answered my "what's the alternative" question. I'm still waiting.
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
Actually most anime series air first in TV in Japan, DVDs follows AFTER that. So it's made for TV in the first place. So why is watching anime outside Japan all about buying expensive DVDs??!

The typical late-night, otaku anime does not earn much if any money from broadcast TV. Have you ever wondered why most anime air in the middle-of-the-night when no one is watching? It's because the production committee purchases a time slot (Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry analysis summary translation by Canned Dogs), which they then have to find sponsors for. Typically, the sponsors are mostly if not entirely composed of the members of the production committee (see the interview with the former president of BVU in the first issue of PiQ). For example, the sponsors for Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, a Bandai Visual show, were Lantis and Enterbrain--both part of Namco-Bandai and involved with the franchise. In short, most anime do not earn money from broadcast TV but instead lose it because they are literally paying (at least partly) for it to air. This does not, of course, apply to the TV station. Broadcast TV does generate exposure, which should result in more sales of DVDs and other items the industry uses to recoup its costs.

Bottom line is watching anime on broadcast TV is not the same as watching a popular TV show on say ABC. Unlike ABC's programs, Most anime are not designed to earn money from broadcast TV but DVD sales.

Last edited by Draneor on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 am; edited 4 times in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
As long as an anoucement for Soul Eater and Seto No Hanayome is forth coming, I'm for this.

CandDing and then leaving us in the wind is not a good idea. We've spurned ADV for simmilar practaces previously so don't get any ideas.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

Bottom line is watching anime on broadcast TV is not the same as watching a popular TV show on say ABC. Unlike ABC's programs, Most anime are not designed to earn money from broadcast TV but DVD sales.[/url]

OK, you may be right, but I'm 100% sure a lot of people in Japan record anime on TV and collect it that way and don't buy DVDs. Especially when it airs late at night.
If I lived in Japan, I would do it that way.
People in Japan can choose between recording anime (almost) for free from TV and buying expensive DVDs.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
From the perspective of the innocent (read: ignorant) fansub watcher, this type of C&D is similar to something like this:

Say NBC came out with a new hit drama, aired like 5 episodes of it, and then cancels it suddenly. Instead they air repeats of some other show in the time slot. Normally fans of the show would be somewhat pissed, and maybe would hope that some day the show would come back and they'd make more, but they'd move on.

Now let's say that it was leaked that NBC had the full 22 episode season already finished, and was just refusing to air the rest of the episodes. People would go nuts, they'd demand that the episodes aired on TV or at the least that they make a complete DVD set.

That's what it's like for most people who maybe were watching the show using fansubs when the fansubs suddenly stop. They don't care WHY. And they certainly aren't going to be placated by Lance telling us about all the other shows Funi is airing. This is about THIS show in particular.

Let's have another, closer example. Say the TV station in Hiroshima that's airing Soul Eater is refusing to pay the production company their share of the advertising revenue for Soul Eater.
Would they simply stop sending the show to that TV station? If they did, suddenly anyone who lived in Hiroshima wouldn't be able to see the show on TV anymore. Sure, people could get the show by paying for an internet download service like BBanime, but I'm betting you they'd keep sending the show to the TV station anyway, and just sue them for damages Smile. It'd be considered a giant PR disaster to suddenly halt a broadcast like that in Japan. It's bad enough when a SINGLE episode doesn't air somewhere, which has happened before due to censoring. "Nice boat" anyone?
If they stopped a series entirely because of some money dispute 2ch would be all over it.

The disconnect here is that Japanese anime companies do not consider fansub watchers viewers. In fact, I don't think they consider anyone outside Japan "viewers", so much as "buyers". Now you can argue that people who watch fansubs are not the same as people who watch the shows on TV in Japan, but what matters, at least from a PR standpoint, is what these people consider THEMSELVES to be.
From their perspective these C&D letters are no better than a TV station canceling a program you like, or refusing to air the latest episodes for a reason beyond your control.
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:

OK, you may be right, but I'm 100% sure a lot of people in Japan record anime on TV and collect it that way and don't buy DVDs. Especially when it airs late at night.

Well, this isn't exactly the full picture. Some anime airs on pay channels or is pay-per-view (depending on the region, that may be the only option you get). Plus, for anime that air on NHK, there is the NHK fee. Also, most anime isn't made for us and the industry has not chosen, for the most part, to allow us to watch it for free. But yes, there are people in Japan who watch and never buy anything related to the franchise. But some of them will watch it and buy R2 DVDs and/or rent them (and other merchandise). That's what matters.

I'm not going to tell you what to do. Just keep in mind that someone else is paying for the anime you watch. As such, you really don't have a voice in what gets made or how it is treated. If you like a show and want to see more of it, it's in your best interests to buy official products related to it. And if you don't buy anything, the industry really shouldn't care if you want to watch anime for free either. If you want your opinion to matter, you need to help the industry make money somehow.

Last edited by Draneor on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
Dammit, now I have to switch Soul Eater subbing groups. The team on it was doing such a good job with it too. Sad

Doesn't slow down my viewing of the series, the alternative group is actually faster than my prefered one, but it is an unnecesary annoyance.
Zirdante

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
I'd be happy to get the DVDs of Soul Eater if they get licensed to R2 (europe)
skyechan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
I pray this means Soul Eater will be licensed soon... *must buy DVD....*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Quote:
Think about what you're asking. If you got caught shoplifting would you expect the shop owners to take it off you or say "if you want it that badly, we'll give you a discount"? The Japanese companies don't "owe" you anything.

oh please Rolling Eyes this analogy is so flawed and overused. Gah! You can't compare theft of digital merchandise to theft of tangible merchandise. It just doesn't work or make any kind of sense and just enters some murky area of analogies that sound as stupid as they are.

The analogy isn't actually the point, but I can compare them and I will - surprisingly enough you can compare apples to oranges even if they aren't all that alike (this one's smooth and green, that ones dimpled and orange, this one might get you into jail, that one might just get you a fine). The point is that the anime companies are hardly going to pay attention to you complaining when they're trying to stop you doing something they don't want you doing in the first place and they don't have to provide you with an immediate replacement.

loka wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
when somebody actually stops someone from buying something and tells them, "i'll give you my fansubs" you can't argue that its some harmless thing with zero impact and is only for spreading interest in shows and is actually just free promotion for companies to sell DVDs.

Can't agree more. I saved my friend some cash the other day. He thought about buying Speed Grapher. I said to him, "huge mistake dude, watch a few episodes with these here fansubs."

and I will ALWAYS provide this service. are you some kind of ******* that sits back and watches your friends buy stuff you know to be shit??

And while we're on topic with Funimation -- those of you who haven't seen the subs for these titles from the past few years:
Heroic Age, Shikabane Hima, 009-1, My Santa, Bacanno, Guyver, Wallflower, Solty-Rei; don't buy them sight-unseen. You have been warned.

I really think you misread what you quoted there, and you don't need to distribute fansubs of licensed series when you can just tell your friends what you think about the series. For that matter if you disliked them so much that you didn't buy them after watching them, why have you kept them? And as for buying FUNimation series "sight unseen", have you failed to notice that they, more than any other company, are offering episodes, even entire series, to watch for free on their website and on Youtube and other sites? Not to mention all the trailers available here on ANN.

lheiskell wrote:
configspace wrote:

I also don't understand the idea that local Japanese anime industry heavily relies on R1 licensing.

You would be surprised. Granted, some series are too niche for overseas sales but the majority of shows get pitched for overseas licensing.

For the record, here's some quotes from Jonathan Clements' column in Newtype (RIP) - December '07 and Jan '08 respectively:
Quote:
With profit margins constricting in Japan itself, producers and publishers become more amenable to foreign sales. Anime and manga abroad, particularly in America, is another side-effect of the boom and bust, and a generation later, the fact that the American market plays such a great part in Japanese business decisions is at leasat in part a result of deals done in the Bubble period.
But what if the American economy starts to slump...? Who's going to pay for anime then?

Quote:
"Twelve years ago," I say, "an anime production producer told me that the foreign market as worth only 10 percent of a Japanese company's interest. Can you put a number on it now?"
"Sure," says Sam. "It's 50 percent of our business. Haf of our plans, half of our selections, are geared directly toward foreign makets, specifically America. And it's worth 50 pecent of our profits."
There's your tipping point. If Sam's numbers are repeated across the other companies, modern anime is only half-conceived with a Japanese audience in mind. There's still domestic market, but you can expect to see increasing numbers of anime made for foreigners.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mythus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
These Japanese companies have a flawed assessment on why their sales in other countries are declining. It's not because we don't wish to purchase DVDs, it's because in order to buy a volume for a series that consist of... oh say, 12 volumes it cost us $30 a pop. How is it even possible for anyone to even try a new anime series? We don't have the access to watch televised English dubs of every anime that gets distributed. $30 a volume is budget for the Japanese audience, yet that's because they have the ability to differentiate. Fan-subs have done more to the industry then those who are the "professionals". How else would an anime popularity such as Haruhi Suzumiya make it worldwide? If these Japanese industries truly believe they are doing themselves proper with this, they are sadly mistaken.

To those who think it’s being spoiled getting 0day anime, you couldn't be more correct. Yet, when you are a sales division attempting to please your audience; you must spoil them. You work for your audience in order to continue working. When you practice sleazy antics and show that you're in it for the money, like Bandai Visual, you get burned. I still remember trying to buy Diebuster at a price tag of 50$ a volume.

Gonzo is a prime example of what to do to sell your series. Stream them on 0day to others.
animalia555

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whether to be resentful of glad that nobody has quoted my post.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11