• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Halts Releases of Bakuman., Ikki Tousen Great Guardians

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Well If it's delayed It can't be helped. But Bakuman volume 2 better be release some time in the future....
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Well If it's delayed It can't be helped. But Bakuman volume 2 better be release some time in the future....

All the first season at least Idea
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
If the Squid Girl blu-ray is cancelled, I'll have to rip my hair out and go live in a cave.

I didn't buy the DVDs due to the nightmare with the volume 1 cases (did they ever fix that?) so I've been holding out.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
This sucks!!!!!!!!!!
I was looking forward to seeing the second volume of Bakuman! It would have to be a series that I enjoy that gets halted.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Ushio wrote:
Not this site, Media blasters they should have not said anything rather than announce there halting releases.

Uhh, well, if they can't deliver their product on time, they have to tell their customers SOMETHING.

Keep in mind, they laid off their entire production staff (or close to it). I'd be shocked if they managed to get any new releases out the door in the next few months.

But delaying titles is only going to make things worse. Customers, already dubious because of the lay-offs, are going to be more circumspect with their buying of Media Blasters releases in case the company goes belly-up and leaves people with half-finished collections of some titles. Which means of course fewer sales and therefore less revenue for Media Blasters, further increasing the odds they'll go under.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, a horrible downward spiral. Media Blasters has to stop it rather than exacerbating it, otherwise they're finished.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Ushio wrote:
Not this site, Media blasters they should have not said anything rather than announce there halting releases.

Uhh, well, if they can't deliver their product on time, they have to tell their customers SOMETHING.

Keep in mind, they laid off their entire production staff (or close to it). I'd be shocked if they managed to get any new releases out the door in the next few months.

But delaying titles is only going to make things worse. Customers, already dubious because of the lay-offs, are going to be more circumspect with their buying of Media Blasters releases in case the company goes belly-up and leaves people with half-finished collections of some titles. Which means of course fewer sales and therefore less revenue for Media Blasters, further increasing the odds they'll go under.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, a horrible downward spiral. Media Blasters has to stop it rather than exacerbating it, otherwise they're finished.

It really is amazing how they are even around at this point still.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
*Sigh* Not this s*** again. Sad
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, just the other day I was thinking of Bakuman and remembered that Media Blasters licensed this series a while back. But now it seems Bakuman has been halted and very likely that means that the series has now been discontinued.

With all the trouble Media Blasters has had recently, I am beginning to wonder if they are about to file chapter 11 or maybe even chapter 7.

For the employee's sake, I hope Media Blasters hangs in there, but it's not looking good in the very least.

This is downward spiral seems to be a continuous issue, I would not be surprised at all to several series being cancelled such as Squid Girl, among others. Likely the blu-ray versions of those as well.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I hope Bakuman gets licensed rescued by Viz. I would say FUNimation, but Bakuman isn't the type of series that they would buy. The manga has been doing extremely well for Viz, and they could probably use the same voice actors as Media Blasters.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Yea Funimation usually jumps on real fan servicey titles. I really enjoy Bakuman and Squid girl and have both on DvD. It would be a shame to see stuff like this go to waste. It's tough being an anime fan.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Ganbatte Media Blasters spoiler[Finish releasing bakuman you pricks] I hope they stick around cause it'll be a wierd if they closed down. i've gotten so used to them being around and i might have to cancel my preorder depending on how this develops... Wink
SoraChanLove

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
They should just say it already.
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I think it is obvious when Media Blaster goes under Funimation will swoop in and pick up the license for both Ikki Tousen series. Also Bakuman whining fans, please quit thinking of yourself for once and think about the people's lives that will be affected by another anime company going under. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Saiki_Thorn wrote:
Also Bakuman whining fans, please quit thinking of yourself for once and think about the people's lives that will be affected by another anime company going under. Rolling Eyes

On the contrary; as a fan of Bakuman, if I was only thinking about myself, I wouldn't be here worrying about Media Blasters. I want to buy their releases and support them, so being concerned about possible cancellations of their releases is something to be concerned about. If you want to insult somebody, go to the people who don't give a squat about legit releases and only use fan-subs instead of supporting the industry.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I hope Bakuman gets licensed rescued by Viz. I would say FUNimation, but Bakuman isn't the type of series that they would buy. The manga has been doing extremely well for Viz, and they could probably use the same voice actors as Media Blasters.

If for some reason Media Blasters does discontinue Bakuman, Viz Media would be a great choice. Funimation wouldn't also be a bad choice as well, but I am not sure the demographic that some of the Funimation caters to would buy this, as Bakuman doesn't have fanservice and moe girls.

I've been reading Bakuman (and buying the Viz Media version) of Bakuman for years and I personally find it to be one of the best manga series has licensed in years.

As Jaymie mentioned, I've also read articles that the sales of the Bakuman manga continue to go up, so hopefully Bakuman is rescued. As to be quite blunt, given that this is quite an intelligent and well written series and given that the series doesn't contain any typical elements that most other series have, I wonder who else would license this besides Viz Media?

I just hope Media Blasters is able to get off this financial burden, if only so that the remaining employee's are able to keep their jobs and maybe even hire new employee's as well.

The realist in me knows that more financial trouble is abundant, but I'd just like to see Media Blasters hang in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5