• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AX Idol Stephanie Yanez Performs in Akihabara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
koku jin wrote:
don't worry stephanie!! And you people who leave such hurtful comments. I guess you obviously can't be stopped, but if you have time to ridicule & criticize Stephanie's works & accomplishments you should be more productive w/ that time! Like..

Says the guy spending his time defending an internet "idol."

I'm just curious why an English speaker is singing her English lyrics with an Engrishy accent. That's all I want to know.

Oh stop it. You're just jealous. Admit it.

We're all jealous of Stephanie.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
koku jin wrote:
don't worry stephanie!! And you people who leave such hurtful comments. I guess you obviously can't be stopped, but if you have time to ridicule & criticize Stephanie's works & accomplishments you should be more productive w/ that time! Like..

I'm just curious why an English speaker is singing her English lyrics with an Engrishy accent. That's all I want to know.

Oh stop it. You're just jealous. Admit it.

We're all jealous of Stephanie.

You know, I'm hoping that with Brian taking over Hey Answerman! we can look forward to more entertainment from you here in the forums.

@koku jin: Let's get something straight here sweetie. The internet? It's my life. This is what I do. I'm withdrawn for this semester of college for reasons, I can be BOTHERED to explain to you. On top of that, it's a feedback thread. You should be expecting commentary of both the negative and positive kind, be it one having more than the other, both being equal or WHATEVER.

Quit living in a delusion that because someone dislikes something and speaks their mind on it, that THEY are the ones without a life.

She can be as much of a nice person as you say, and to some sense, MOST people in general, either have a nicer side or act differently in public versus privacy. We only have her public displays to judge so... Don't act like we all know her personally or something.

I don't think my opinion of her is fact, it's just a very STRONG opinion.

I do think however, that it is a fact that there are people out there that would've been a much more 'honest' candidate for the contest held by Comcast to send a fan to japan. I think Yanez, whom I hold NOTHING against PERSONALLY (BIG focus on that word there, I do not have a HATE for her, just a mild disgust/annoyance), was chosen because it was easy. She'd been affiliated with Geneon in the past, according to the information in the videos I'd seen, and won a crapton of those con idol contests. Essentially, rather than give it to someone who tried hard to come off as appealing as possible in this videos they did, she got a better chance just because of some extra stuff.

And that would be FINE and all... Were it not for the fact that the reason she seems to have been chosen, were bad ones.

If I am being mean, you really need to grow up and learn what criticism is. This is not me being mean, this is an honest opinion. I could be really rude, call her a stupid ***** or something, but I refrain from such a thing for most times like this, because it's an unintelligent thing to do...

And were Yanez to actually see and respond in this thread, I would like to say:

I don't hate you, I REALLY don't. But I DO hate your behavior and your claim to represent the fanbase for anime, manga and the like. And it's only because you represent a group of its own in the fanbase, much like how I think I represent one as well.

@sayori: And your response is much more reasonable and mature. If more fans were like you, it'd help.

*sigh* I need to stop staying up this late, I talk too much. Being tired for me is like being drunk... I think. Then again, I've never had more than 2 or 3 drinks in one night, so I can't say much for myself... *bangs head on the desk*

Must... remember... to shut... up...
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

That's the cool thing to do nowadays.
CandiedIsland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ok... I'm someone who adores singing alot. And not to brag seriously... but a way better singer then Yanez. And dont go asking questions like "Then why arent you where Yanez is yet >:T" The reason I'm not where she is.. is becauze I dont want to ruin any future careers I could possibly get. Yanez already ruined her chance. Throw her on American Idol, Simon and the others would laugh at her so bad. And I doubt she'll get a career in Japan. The japanese are looking for "american" influenced people, not Japanese. They love the american style. In fact I lived there for a while and alot of them hate americans who want to be japanese. It's so funny to them.
inu-liger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
Personally, I find her voice very grating as well.

I'm a musician myself, so perhaps I have a stronger backing for reasoning behind my opinions, and like the others said, I also feel she tries to be hard to be like those idol/moe singers instead of interpreting it in her own style. I first heard her via that (in)famous cover of "Ningyo Hime", and I couldn't stand it, honestly. It was like cats dying to my ears, no offense.
She sometimes can sound somewhat decent, and can hold a note if she wants to, but I think she's trying too hard trying to "please" other anime fans instead of concentrating on her tonality for one, like a proper singer should.

If I may post a YouTube link of what *I* think is a great example of someone's own unique interpretation of an established theme song, here's one everyone would know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6QINpUa1B4&fmt=18

...THIS is what I think singers should be doing, instead of trying too hard to be like someone else, is making their own unique touch on covers.
In my own opinion, if I dare say so myself, the person who did this cover actually does it with more soul and expression than Yoko Takahashi did (sorry fans!). I wish this person would do a full cover, really.

But anyways, I guess good on Stephanie on living out part of her big dream, but at the same time however, I do hope that the Japanese don't view all American anime fans as shitty singers because of her, no offense.

That's my 2 drumsticks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3