• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ikki Tousen Anime, Beta Video Portal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rg4619

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Breaking up a 26 episode season, selling it in two boxed sets, charging fans double than what it would cost

The idea behind the new sets is to provide an acceptable, profitable alternative to the singles model, not to jump directly to budget collections.

That way, while consumers save some money, they still spend enough to render a show profitable. Fans constantly waiting for bargain clearances ($5 a single, etc.) or budget sets has been perceived as an industry killer, so they're doing their best to reduce that kind of behavior.

In the past, they wanted/needed people to buy singles. Now they want us to buy half-season sets, which help maintain prices at a reasonable level (and are easier on the retailers).
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Shows that treat the women like nothing BUT walking fan service count as misogynist.

Isn't misogyny defined by a hatred of women? Fan service, whether it be of the sexual or non-sexual type is all about the audience's appreciation for the subject of the fan service. That's where the "fan" part comes from.

Despite the clothes being torn up in the fights, Ikki Tousen is a series featuring powerful strong willed women who aren't afraid to fight for their ideals.
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Unless people ever played those old Romance of the Three Kingdoms games or read the book, the names are going to fly by without meaning a damn thing because they incorporate it into the plot so poorly.

Yeah, I got into the games. I would love to find a copy of an English translation of the book but haven't yet. I mentioned something about familiarity with the subject matter being a factor earlier:
Jedi Master wrote:
I must admit that if Ikki Tousen didn't have the Three Kingdoms references or if I was unfamiliar with those references then the series would probably not be as appealing to me.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
Quote:
Breaking up a 26 episode season, selling it in two boxed sets, charging fans double than what it would cost

The idea behind the new sets is to provide an acceptable, profitable alternative to the singles model, not to jump directly to budget collections.

That way, while consumers save some money, they still spend enough to render a show profitable. Fans constantly waiting for bargain clearances ($5 a single, etc.) or budget sets has been perceived as an industry killer, so they're doing their best to reduce that kind of behavior.

In the past, they wanted/needed people to buy singles. Now they want us to buy half-season sets, which help maintain prices at a reasonable level (and are easier on the retailers).

They're releasing Tsubasa right now as individual volumes, though it didn't take long to repackage season 1 as a set. I'm waiting on that one so I can pick up both boxes at once rather than being price-raped.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link to the English book Unit 03.5-ish! Very Happy

Quote:
Temporarily out of stock.

Crying or Very sad
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
There is??? Never knew that fact.Thanks for the info
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9