Voters Crown My New Boss is Goofy as #1 in Web Manga General Election
posted on by Lynzee Loveridge
The results are in for pixiv and Nippon Shuppan Hanbai, Inc's "Web Manga General Election." Users submitted more than 2,500 different web manga series and judges whittled down the selection to 50 series. Readers were able to vote for their favorites until August 27. The site saw a huge outpouring of voters with over 750,000 votes cast in total. After tallying up the results, My New Boss is Goofy (Atarashii Jōshi wa Do Tennen) by Dan Ichikawa was crowned the #1 web manga of the year. The series previously took 7th place in this year's Tsugi ni Kuru Manga Awards.
The workplace comedy's story follows a 26-year-old office worker named Momose. He recently changed jobs after his previous boss harassed him. He's worried his new boss will also use power harassment to make his life miserable. Momose is trying to hide his anxious stomach when he first meets his new boss Shirasaki, however he's surprised to find his new boss is such a natural airhead that he eliminates all of Momose's anxiety.
In second place is Sekaneko's Homura-sensei wa Tabun Motenai (Mr. Homura Probably Isn't Popular). The gag comedy follows a high school biology teacher named Homura who looks young and has a weak constitution. He's actually an adult but is very scared of high school girls and whenever he finds himself short on cash he turns to his pet frog as a possible source of food. He's pursued by a high school girl named Hasumi who finds Mr. Homura both gentle and cute.
The third place winner is Daten Sakusen by Shōichi Yamamoto. The mystery series tells the story of a man named Ander who was captured by the Demon Army during the long-going war between the demons and mankind. He was one of only 15 people confirmed in history to be immortal. He suffered through horrendous torture, including execution by fire, only to revive a few days later. After years of this treatment he lost his will to live, until he met a certain researcher.
The top 10 results from the poll are listed below.
- My New Boss is Goofy (Atarashii Jōshi wa Do Tennen) by Dan Ichikawa
- Homura-sensei wa Tabun Motenai (Mr. Homura Probably Isn't Popular) by Sekaneko
- Daten Sakusen by Shōichi Yamamoto
- Zettai BL ni naru Sekai VS Zettai BL ni Naritakunai Otoko by Konkichi
- Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?! by Yū Toyota (licensed by Square Enix)
- Sensei no Ohitogata by Yō Fujino (#13 in Tsugi ni Kuru Manga Awards 2018's Web Manga category)
- Play it Cool, Guys (Cool Doji Danshi) by Kokone Nata
- Sakura no Hanamichi by Kazutoki Kidozuka and Den Nishiyama
- Onii-chan wa Oshimai! by Neko Tōfu (#5 in Tsugi ni Kuru Manga Awards 2018's Web Manga category)
- Sweat and Soap (Ase to Sekken) by Kintetsu Yamada (licensed by Kodansha Comics)
Last year's winner was Hifumi's action comedy manga Shijūshichi Taisen (47th War) followed by Uramichi Oniisan by Gaku Kuze and Oji-sama to Neko by Umi Sakurai. In 2017 Fujita's Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku took the top spot.