Manga Entertainment Updates on Panty and Stocking and Persona 4
posted on 2012-08-20 12:29 EDT by Andrew Osmond
Manga Entertainment has released the sixth in its series of podcasts (89 minutes), featuring Jerome Mazandarani with Andrew Hewson and host Jeremy Graves.
Among Mazandarani's announcements:
- The faulty discs of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt have been re-authored, and a corrected edition will be released on September 10. Manga will also set up an email for customers who bought the faulty edition and have been unable to return it. Customers will be able to send their name, address and proof of purchase and Manga will send a new copy. Mazandarani estimated that about 600 U.K. customers have been affected by the problem.
- The packaging on the first print of the Blue Exorcist part 1 DVD wrongly says it has English and Japanese audio options. In fact, it is Japanese audio only. On bringing out a sub-only release, Mazandarani said Manga decided to go ahead with it because, "There are a lot of fans out there who don't care if it's dubbed or not, and [Blue Exorcist] is a really hot title right now. We had the opportunity to get it out close to the U.S. release, on the back of strong manga sales from Viz Media in the U.K... We'd already started authoring the discs so we would have lost a lot of money if we'd just cancelled the release."
Mazandarani added that he was sure Manga would want to release the dubbed Blue Exorcist in the future. He also pointed out that the dub is not completed yet, and if Manga had waited, the company might not have been able to release the series until this time next year.
- Persona 4 The Animation will be released in three Blu-ray/DVD combo packs. (The combo pack is the only format planned, despite inaccurate information online.) The first will be released on December 24 with two DVDs and one Blu-ray (a double layered BD-50 disc), carrying the first 9 episodes in Japanese and English. It will come in 'some type of special packaging." The second volume will provisionally follow in late March, and the third around June. The "suggested retail price" is £29.99.
- Kaze has Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail scheduled for next year. (However, Kaze has separately confirmed to ANN this is a 'tentative' schedule, and it depends on if a dub of the anime is created.)
- Sengoku Basara Season 2 will come out on DVD only, not Blu-ray. "The Blu-ray sales on Season 1 are so disappointing... We haven't even sold 500 copies."
- One Piece is the anime that is most requested from Manga Entertainment. (Previously, it was Dragonball Z.)
- Mazandarani expressed great interest in Manga reissuing such former Beez licenses as Cowboy Bebop, Durarara and the first TV season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. "We'd love to get them into our catalogue and re-release them in the U.K."
- On the state of the 2012 market for Manga, Mazandarani said, "Back catalogue and last year's new releases are selling really well, better than we anticipated, but new releases aren't selling as well as they did last year."
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history