The List 7 Anime Odd Couples
by Lynzee Loveridge, Nov 9th 2013
The bookworm and the jock ending up best friends seems unlikely, but these couples won't let little things like appearances and hobbies get in the way. These duos start out worlds apart but end up best friends or even lovers, stereotypes be damned.
7. Nana and Hachi (NANA) These besties first met on a train. NANA is an independent rock and roller who sings lead in her band Black Stones. Hachi starts out as a girl-next-door type following her boyfriend to his college town. The two become undeniably close despite their initial differences in appearance and lifestyle.
6. Kensuke Aida and Touji Suzuhara (Neon Genesis Evangelion) Kensuke is a geeky military otaku while Touji is a 'masculine' jock who loves basketball and eating. The two would be unlikely to run in the same social circles if their mutual potential aptitude for piloting an Eva unit hadn't stuck them in the same class.
5. Haruhi and Kyon (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) The totally average albeit cyncial Kyon is one of the least likely love interests for a girl as exuberant as Haruhi. For a girl in search of everything magical and weird in the world (and with impressive powers of her own) you think she'd lean more towards Koizumi or something.
4. Kotetsu and Barnaby (Tiger & Bunny) Kotetsu is an old school crimefighter with a honed sense of justice but piss-poor television ratings. Barnaby is the new rookie on the block with all the cynicism a modern day superhero can muster. Their philosophies clash when the two are teamed up together. Barnaby is also unwaveringly stiff compared to Kotetsu's emotional, driven approach to work.
3. Ryuuji and Taiga (Toradora!) Not accounting for the couple's difference in stature, Ryuuji is an intimidating-looking guy who is secretly domestic and Taiga is an adorable yet violent girl. In real-life, Taiga would probably annoy the crap out any guy who doesn't want to be snapped at all the time. In the anime series Ryuuji manages to pull out Taiga's softer-side and they make it work, somehow.
2. Chiaki and Nodame (Nodame Cantabile) The career-driven Chiaki is an absolute neatfreak and overall perfectionist whose good looks keep him popular with the ladies. Nodame is the stereotypical image of a savant; plays by ear and while a naturally talented pianist, she fails and basic things like keeping her apartment clean. Both characters benefit from their mutual relationship. Chiaki gains an appreciative sensibility for the people around him and Nodame takes serious steps towards her career.
1. Mihoshi and Kiyone (Tenchi Universe) Mihoshi and Kiyone take the good cop, bad cop schtick to a new level. The ever-blonde Mihoshi is ridiculously incompetent much to chagrin of her partner. Kiyone often laments her predicament in hopes of getting a promotion and leaving Mihoshi behind. Miho-Kiyo are inseparable though, and when Kiyone finally gets her promotion, she sticks with tried-and-true partner.
The new poll: Which character has the coolest "monster form?" Since turning into a monster tends to be a major plot point, be wary of SPOILERS.
The old poll: Last week's poll asked who is your favorite tall female anime character and the tall and slender Yuuko from xxxHOLiC barely beat out Azumanga Daioh cat-lover Sakaki.
- Yuko (xxxHOLiC) 17.9%
- Sakaki (Azumanga Daioh) 17.7%
- Milly Thompson (Trigun) 16.7%
- Tsubaki Nakatsukasa (Soul Eater) 11.8%
- Risa Koizumi (Lovely Complex) 7.7%
- Saori Makashima (Oreimo) 7.2%
- Arisa Uotani (Fruits Basket) 6.6%
- Maggie Mui (Read or Die TV) 4.5%
- Kirara Bernstein (GJ Club) 3.5%
- Isane Kotetsu (Bleach) 3.3%
- Aphelandra (One Piece) 1.7%
- Koma Morishita (Sket Dance) 0.7%
- Maki Aikawa (Air Gear) .5%
- Yamabuki (Good Luck Girl!) 0.4%
- Hana Hoshikawa (Reideen) 0.1%
When she isn't compiling lists of tropes, topics, and characters, Lynzee works as Associate Editor for Anime News Network, blogs about women and LBGT topics in anime and manga on her blog Engendered Dilemma, and posts pictures of her son on Twitter @ANN_Lynzee.
discuss this in the forum (37 posts) |