• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Citrus Fruit

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
I have no idea if there's some kind of ongoing conversation here (I'm new Neutral), but I'm just going to post my thoughts on this anime.

(This only applies to the first five episodes)
First, I'd like to say that i enjoy, but am kind of disappointed by this anime. I find it strange that this is the first time I've seen an anime with a premise like this one, since it can lead to some rather great and relate able characters for pretty much everyone, myself included. Although, had i not had a group of childhood friends almost identical to that of the main protagonists, i think I'd find this show somewhat lacking. Not much time at all is spent with the main protagonists when they were children, thus I find it hard to relate to how their relationships with each other have deteriorated over the years. Another thing i found strange about this show is the big deal they make out of crushes they had when they were at least 6 years old. I mean, come on, I had a crush on a girl in my group of friends when i was in Elementary School. Do i still like her? No. Would I go as far as to say i loved this person? Of course not, I don't think anyone would. Although I'm sure the circumstances would substantially different if said person had died, but i still don't think you would be justified in saying that you were in love with that person. As it stand though, I am enjoying this anime, and hope that it only gets better as it progresses.
WarpWarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, welcome to melodrama teen anime. I've watched the first episode expecting something awesome. It turns out it's just trying to get me in tears with a freaking spoiler[ghost]. No siree. Can't relate to that, I'm sorry. Skipping this one like I skipped Cannon or Air. Freaking waste of time Clannad was too.

Last edited by WarpWarrior on Mon May 23, 2011 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Would I go as far as to say i loved this person? Of course not, I don't think anyone would.

Because we all know that love isn't subjective.

I also had a group of friends and I had a crush on one of them, although that means very little to me nowadays and don't even count it as a good or even notable memory. Regardless, I'm enjoying the show and I can find little to be criticized. Although it isn't in my top 5 this season, and most likely won't be even when it's completed.

WarpWarrior wrote:
It turns out it's just trying to get me in tears with a freaking ghost.

I haven't been touched by that element of the show yet. I think the most touching scene so far was the one regarding the protagonist and his parents.
WarpWarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
I only saw the first episode. And I meant the b tag to be a spoiler tag, sorry about that.

Anyway, this is just a childish melodrama for people who can't like any better. Has every merit for it, and maybe it's good, even. But it's not for me, and I was let down. I will see the second episode, but I don't intent to watch the series to the end.

This kind of show is meant for people who like the feeling of compassion towards others. In my experience, most of those people are too self-centered to bother being compassionate towards real people, so they close themselves in soap operas. In this case, an animated soap opera.

I like irony, not to deus ex machina. I like tragedy, not fatalism. I like realism, not common place. I like creativity, not cliche.

I also like big boobs and nice hips, exposed skin and cute girls with cute personalities. Haven't seen any of that either.

:EDIT:
Oh, scratch that, that redhead is nice, but her character is common place.
axstoro

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Why does Crunchyroll not have this?! Anime hyper. So far been watching the fansubs of it, loving it.

Hopefully CR will get this, or the DVDs come stateside soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
WarpWarrior - hey, it's cool if you don't like the show, but do you have to be such a douche bag with respect to your dumb assumptions about those who may be liking it? Childish melodrama for people who can't like any better? Not only is that mangled grammar, it's flagrantly insulting, troll-tits. And what kind of effed up "psychology" are you using to assume that this show is meant for people who like feeling compassion towards others but are too self-centred to bother being compassionate towards real people? Laughing Wow, I've seen some real drivel in my time at ANN, but that takes the cake.

Who lets these dipshits in, anyway?
axstoro

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
WarpWarrior wrote:
I only saw the first episode. And I meant the b tag to be a spoiler tag, sorry about that.

Anyway, this is just a childish melodrama for people who can't like any better. Has every merit for it, and maybe it's good, even. But it's not for me, and I was let down. I will see the second episode, but I don't intent to watch the series to the end.

This kind of show is meant for people who like the feeling of compassion towards others. In my experience, most of those people are too self-centered to bother being compassionate towards real people, so they close themselves in soap operas. In this case, an animated soap opera.

I like irony, not to deus ex machina. I like tragedy, not fatalism. I like realism, not common place. I like creativity, not cliche.

I also like big boobs and nice hips, exposed skin and cute girls with cute personalities. Haven't seen any of that either.

Oh, scratch that, that redhead is nice, but her character is common place.

How the hell do you judge an anime by only watching the first ep.

Watch the first ep of School Days and tell me if you can guess the ending.
WarpWarrior

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
WarpWarrior - hey, it's cool if you don't like the show, but do you have to be such a douche bag with respect to your dumb assumptions about those who may be liking it? Childish melodrama for people who can't like any better? Not only is that mangled grammar, it's flagrantly insulting, troll-tits. And what kind of effed up "psychology" are you using to assume that this show is meant for people who like feeling compassion towards others but are too self-centred to bother being compassionate towards real people? Laughing Wow, I've seen some real drivel in my time at ANN, but that takes the cake.

Ahhh, the sweet trollish know-it-all's will always complain. What the fudge do you want? Did I mention you in my post? No? I thought I did! Because it was all a plot to piss you off with my "psychology" of the mind, you know that, of course.

Mate, I don't give a flying fudge about your opinion of me. It's cool if you don't like me or my tone or my opinions. It's also cool if you don't wanna argue and just wanna insult people. But just to make it clear, It is as you say, it's a generalization, but you wouldn't be all offended and bitchy if you had any grasp on the mind of a reader/viewer, because you'd know generalizations are what series are based on: target audience. Anyway, you probably don't know or don't care, but that doesn't mean it's all lies. Besides, who am I to tell you what to like? Just because something is made for a group I don't belong to, doesn't mean I can't like it. Sames goes for you, you know?

axstoro wrote:
How the hell do you judge an anime by only watching the first ep.

Watch the first ep of School Days and tell me if you can guess the ending.

You're right, my opinion is as solid as a jello, but you can't really argue by just point out how unsupported they are. Hum... Usually people say something "oh, the show is more than that, keep watching and you'll see", and while that's not an argument per se, it's at least something. I don't care how unfounded my opinion of AnoHana is as long as it's anywhere close to the truth. And by your reaction and Blood's, I'm probably not far off.

Oh, and by the way, you guys know what the sunset scenes are for? Cookie for the first to get it right.

Ah ah.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
WarpWarrior wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Ahhh, the sweet trollish know-it-all's will always complain. What the fudge do you want? Did I mention you in my post? No? I thought I did! Because it was all a plot to piss you off with my "psychology" of the mind, you know that, of course.

Mate, I don't give a flying fudge about your opinion of me. It's cool if you don't like me or my tone or my opinions. It's also cool if you don't wanna argue and just wanna insult people. But just to make it clear, It is as you say, it's a generalization, but you wouldn't be all offended and bitchy if you had any grasp on the mind of a reader/viewer, because you'd know generalizations are what series are based on: target audience. Anyway, you probably don't know or don't care, but that doesn't mean it's all lies. Besides, who am I to tell you what to like? Just because something is made for a group I don't belong to, doesn't mean I can't like it. Sames goes for you, you know?

Wow seems like you really don´t care.
I always thought it was impossible to write whole paragraphs of nonsense while you are not caring at all but you really found the balance.
I am impressed. Although you might not care too much about it.

Also

WarpWarrior wrote:
Ahhh, the sweet trollish know-it-all's will always complain.

You made my day
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
@ WarpWarrior - like NonoAsumy, I'm always impressed with the sincerity of a poster who throws up a wall o' text to show he, you know, just doesn't care. Laughing Sarcasm aside, I'm prepared to believe you don't care about my or anybody else's opinion of you. Not caring that you are coming across as a complete tool is, after all, one of the defining characteristics of a complete tool.

The fact you didn't mention me by nic in your post is irrelevant. You made a ludicrous, negative generalization about people who like shows like AnoHana. Around here, that's known as trolling. I don't expect you to understand. After all, you'd need an I.Q. of at least 30 to comprehend my point and you seem to fall well short of even that minimal standard.

But hey - have a GREAT day! Laughing
WarpWarrior

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
WarpWarrior wrote:
Ahhh, the sweet trollish know-it-all's will always complain.

You made my day

Someone that gets me Wink

Or maybe not. Anyway...

Blood- wrote:
The fact you didn't mention me by nic in your post is irrelevant. You made a ludicrous, negative generalization about people who like shows like AnoHana. Around here, that's known as trolling. I don't expect you to understand. After all, you'd need an I.Q. of at least 30 to comprehend my point and you seem to fall well short of even that minimal standard.

Hum, I'm not sure you quite get what's going on here mate. Try to read what I wrote again and you'll see I was mostly talking about the show. I'm afraid the one with the low IQ here isn't me, though. I'll put it in very simple terms, so you can understand. Basil Brush is not for me. It's a show made for children with short attention spans and weak critical thinking who just like to see things flying around and hearing short catchphrases. In my experience, these kids end up being too dumb to know their ass from their head.

This doesn't necessarily reflect my opinion of the character or the show, it's just meant as an example.

What you did was just come off as totally butt hurt. If it were the Basil Brush Show we were talking about, I'd think you were a 10 year old with short attention span and weak critical thinking.

But you're just someone who doesn't understand the notion of argument who believes he knows it all. I stated an opinion, a one-sided view of the matter, something that I think. If you can't understand how that's ok, there's nothing I can do. You know, there are thousands of people like you in the internet, claiming that their view of the world is the one everyone should have, but never giving one reason for anyone to think like they do. Mate, I'm not going to agree with you just because you tell me I'm a douchebag. That you think that's relevant enough for you to go on about it in a second post is probably a much better reason for me not to agree with you.

But hey, don't feel bad. I'm not being judgmental. I don't know you, nor do I plan to. My opinion of your persona is as fickle as my interest in this thread. Such is the way of the interweb.

Blood- wrote:
But hey - have a GREAT day! Laughing

lol
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
We were praising OrangeGirls juicy melons while we were milking the shows potential for speculation by discussing the question "What´s up with Popo?"
Some might even argue we did it the other way around.

However now you bulge into this thread with a pretty trollish comment. One could assume you tried to troll for reactions.

But for some reason that is completely out of my understanding you seem to be surprised by the reactions (which of course leave you cold^^) you get.

And this makes you look pretty stupid.

Seriously.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
@WarpWarrior- After reading through all the recent posts here it seems like you're the one who doesn't understand and is way off base. It's obvious why Blood and NonoAsumy are pissed off. I read your comments and was offended too. Just because I like a show doesn't mean I'm "too self-centered to bother being compassionate towards real people". Nor do I like being told that because I enjoy a show that is in your opinion "childish melodrama" that I then "can't like any better." We're pissed because we're being insulted right to our faces.

WarpWarrior wrote:
You're right, my opinion is as solid as a jello, but you can't really argue by just point out how unsupported they are. Hum... Usually people say something "oh, the show is more than that, keep watching and you'll see", and while that's not an argument per se, it's at least something. I don't care how unfounded my opinion of AnoHana is as long as it's anywhere close to the truth. And by your reaction and Blood's, I'm probably not far off.

Why would you expect the responses to your posts to be "oh, the show is more than that, keep watching and you'll see" when you trollishly started off the conversation with insults disguised as generalizations. Maybe you didn't intend them as insults but that's sure as hell how they came off and I don't think anyone here wants to waste their time giving you detailed analysis about the nuances of the show when they've just been insulted. I don't think anything we could say would change your mind or your generalizations about us uncompassionate people.

WarpWarrior wrote:
"I'll put it in very simple terms, so you can understand. Basil Brush is not for me. It's a show made for children with short attention spans and weak critical thinking who just like to see things flying around and hearing short catchphrases. In my experience, these kids end up being too dumb to know their ass from their head."

Here you are doing it again Rolling Eyes I'm not familiar with the show Basil Brush but I imagine if someone here who is a fan of the show reads your comment, they're going to be offended and pissed off.

From the limited number of posts we have from you here on our dear ANN, I've learned a few things about you. You don't like many of the shows you've seen save for a handful that you probably deem absolute masterpieces, and you probably consider the rest inferior crap that only "insert demeaning generalization here" would like. My experience with people that think like this is that they're mostly insecure children with severe daddy issues.

Now before you get all offended, remember it's just a generalization and it's based off of the people I've encountered who think like you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
@ WarpWarrior - and the idiocy continues. It's sort of hard to make heads or tails of what you are trying to say because you are a very poor writer. Perhaps English isn't your second - or even third - language? But, if I understand your ramblings, you seem to be trying to claim that your comments were basically about the show itself and not about the people who are enjoying the show. So let me direct you to some of your own poorly expressed ideas:

Quote:
Anyway, this is just a childish melodrama for people who can't like any better.

See the bolded part, Sparky? That isn't a negative comment on the show itself - it's a negative comment about people who watch and enjoy the show.

Of course, that is small potatoes compared to this howler:

Quote:

I still marvel at the exquisite stupidity of this opinion. To your credit, you did qualify your moronic observation with "in my experience", but you are still moving away from commenting negatively on the content of the show itself to commenting negatively about the people who are watching it.

Now some cynical types might assume you make comments like this to intentionally troll. I, however, because I have a generous soul, am willing to advance a different theory: You may be writing stuff like that because you are genuinely THAT stupid.

Please - no need to thank me for extending you the benefit of doubt.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Jintan and Anaru have some moments. The countdown for those two has picked up the pace and is rapidly approaching zero. First Anaru trips and falls almost on top of Jintan as Poppo walks in to find the 2 in an intimate looking setting. Next, after spoiler[Jintan gets a part time job working where Anaru works], she accidently refers to him as Jintan and not Yadomi which makes her blush. She takes it a shade deeper when Jintan calls her Yadomi Razz I know we all saw this coming but it still gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

The episode is called "The Real Wish" and centers around Menma's wish being spoiler[to send a letter to god in a firework to save Jintan's mom. The gang needs to come up with 200,000 yen to pay for a firework].

It's revealed that Menma was spoiler[in fact the one to call the meeting that day AND that it was supposed to be a secret from Jintan who was obviously there anyways. Wonder what the reason was for Menma not wanting Jintan there.]

Also, Menma's father will be making an appearance soon since he spoiler[shot down the guy's request to make a firework for the gang.]

Menma's mom made an interesting comment at the end of the episode. She sat down in front on Menma's in house memorial and said spoiler["Onee-chan, it looks like your friends have been working really hard to do all sorts of things for you. It's time to stop playing around".]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11