• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Tabloid Links Dynasty Warriors With Sandy Hook Shooting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
is it me or do other nations like to make up the most idiotic bull shit about the US?

They're obviously making stuff up when it comes to video games, but the US itself? Well, not really. US has fairly high violence rates.

But yes, any 5 minutes into researching the numbers would show video game consumption has no correlation with violence. The US is just an outlier when it comes to these massacres (not counting war-torn third world countries, obviously) The key word here is 'tabloid'. Rags purposely print hyperbole and sensationalist news to get get attention, readers, and views, which in turn, gets them money.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
My reaction to reading on Twitter about links to video games yet again was to wonder whether Brenda Ann Spencer had been playing too much Space Invaders or something.
When Dynasty Warriors came up, I wondered again if him running around hitting people with fans had been missed out of the reports up until now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
BOY, am I dumb for comparing tabloids to reality.
archfiend93

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
My god, are they for real? There aren't even any guns in dynasty warriors that I'm aware of, so how does this statement make sense? Nevermind that the shooter was mentally ill and nevermind that he had access to an assault rifle with a 30 round magazine, it's the video games fault. But then again, why blame mental illness and easy access to assault rifles when video games make such an easy scapegoat, Amirite guiissse?
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
He killed the rifle's owner - unless it was kept in a voice-locked safe of course he would've had easy access. But who needs facts when you have condemnations?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
Django was packed, again! Lots of red paint.** We're all done for. We're all gonna be killers! Laughing
(** They don't make 'em like they used to!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3