• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Does Not Win Awards at Venice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
manhiem wrote:
A tool is just that - a tool. It is the person who uses the tool who should be held accountable for how he or she uses it, not the person who made it.

Unlike a hammer or a rope, a fighter plane is specifically a tool of war, meant to destroy offensively or defensively. The question here is different - is Miyazaki expected to explore that person's responsibility and thoughts about the war if he wants to make a good movie about someone who is a wartime weapon-maker? I'd rather everyone watch the movie first before starting to argue.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
I don' think the "problem" here is Anno's acting, since Italian dubbing has gotten worse over the years, sadly (once it was easily the best in the world, or at last on par with the Japanese one, for what I know).

I'll wait and see all the other movies in the competition before judging, but unfortunately animation isn't really given the merits it deserves here in Italy, so Miyazaki's movie could had been disadvantaged to begin with. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Not surprising. The animation was great, but if they saw it in the original Japanese they had to put up with Hideaki Anno's wooden attempts at acting, and even if they didn't... well:
Quote:
Jiro's Zero fighters were later built at slave labour camps and were used for kamikaze missions, although the film does not mention this. Jiro, for his part, is painted as an innocent, incurious man who perhaps feels that his responsibilities end when his planes are complete. All of which would be fine – a great springboard for a drama about art and its consequences – were it not for the fact that Miyazaki is so incurious too. The film-maker so clearly admires his subject that he never truly stoops to question his vision or hold his man to account.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/01/venice-film-festival-review-wind-rises?INTCMP=SRCH

Anno's acting in the film is really bad. I can't get over how not-fit for voicing he is. Thankfully, his role fit his acting, so I didn't mind it.

According to Jiro's logbooks, he personally did not want his passion used for killing, but he had little choice, considering how the Japanese government was "persuading" him. And he didn't want to stop building, either, as it was the one thing in life he had. Particularly, it doesn't seem he was innocent so much as he did his best to ignore the consequences since him and his "family" (what he had of it) were in danger otherwise, and as a Japanese person, he also felt obligated to support the war, even if he wasn't being forced.
Miyazaki's family had ties with the company behind the construction of the plane, so he got to see the original logbook up close when he was younger, and that's what inspired him to make the film.

In fact, the heavy conservatives who don't think Japan did anything wrong during WWII were furious at Miyazaki's portrayal of the creator in the movie. That's gotta say something to those who haven't seen it yet. =P
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:15 am Reply with quote
I don't think Miyazaki cares quite honestly. He made this film as a private autobiography to his family and seeing as Anno was a part of the "old gang" at Toho when they were all less grey and wrinkled, I doubt he cares that Anno was so "wooden". Anno's a producer and director, not a voice actor, so it's to be expected. This movie is what Miyazaki always wanted to make, but couldn't because he had to make money to pay mortgages and raise a family. Now he's coming to the end of his career and doen't need to prove anything to anyone, he gets to finally make it with a "take it, or leave it" atitude, and that's just what all and sundry can do.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Because it came up, I felt I should mention that I have seen this film. It is not very good. I picked the specific quote I did because of the final line - noting how"incurious" Miyazaki was about How Jiro's planes were used. Instead of talking about something genuinely interesting, like how, yes, Jiro's wasn't a war supporter, yet his planes were an integral part of Japan's war atrocities, the movie focuses on a saccharine, fairly cliched tearjerker story about Jiro's sick fiancee/wife. That's also where Anno's terrible voice acting really hurts the film. He never sounds emotional about her (this isn't just me - my Japanese friends also thought his acting was dreadful, and ruined the film for them).

Basically, the problem is that it's dull compared to the potential story lurking under the service. Given how Miyazaki has shoved anti-war messages into projects where they didn't exist originally (Howl's Moving Castle) it was tremendously disappointing to see him brush any talk of the war off as incidental to "look at the cool plane!" and "aw his wife's all adorable and dying!" The thousands of young men sent to their deaths in his planes are never once mentioned.

Try to imagine if someone made a movie about the Manhattan project that only cared about the neat physics involved and a love story that resembles a Nicholas Spark novel, and never mentioned Hiroshima or Nagasaki. It wouldn't just have a tone of moral offensiveness, it also just wouldn't be that interesting.

That's The Wind Rises in a nutshell. It's a tremendously well-animated film with an uncreative, uninteresting story when it could have been his most challenging and intense film ever. We've had lots of films about a man's romance with a dying woman, especially in Japanese cinema. We haven't had many examining whether or not inventors have any culpability in what their inventions are used for.

If this really is Miyazaki's final film, it was a major disappointment.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
Ahaha. Some of you can be so naive. There are plenty of great films by great directors in every film festival. Miyazaki is undoubtedly a legend in his own category, but there are many other great directors also. Reading some of the posts here I'd almost think some of you guys think Miyazaki lost out to a bunch of nobodies.

Terry Gilliam
Stephen Frears
Tsai Ming Liang
Kelly Reichart

...are just some of the other big names in this festival. And live action is always more well regarded in the film community anyway.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Sasukeuzi wrote:
Guess this might make Based Miyazaki a little frustrated and get back into the business again. I guess he might've expected on a high note?

Not necessarily. Personally I've found Miyazaki's films to be not as good recently. He's past his prime a bit and I would think it's better to retire while he's still known to be good before he ends up eventually making something atrocious.

That said, it's not like he's completely gone from the industry as he'll still be providing support and advice.

Eh, I liked Ponyo better than Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, but I know that's a minority opinion. Spirited Away is Miyazaki's most critically acclaimed film, but many Ghibli films wouldn't put that as his best film.

As for The Wind Rises, I've heard a number of Japanese fans say they actually liked From Up on Poppy Hill a lot better. And maybe that's actually a good thing for Ghibli's future. There's no shame in a great director having a bad last film (of course, I'm not suggesting I think it is bad, not having seen it yet), and it's actually pretty common. Hitchcock, Kurosawa, and Welles didn't exactly end on high notes either.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
i don't think they care about it that mean. We should all know Awards are based on people's opinion. If you want to win awards, you should make a movie to target those people who have the vote. That's why some creators do to win Oscar.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

This movie is what Miyazaki always wanted to make, but couldn't because he had to make money to pay mortgages and raise a family. Now he's coming to the end of his career and doen't need to prove anything to anyone, he gets to finally make it with a "take it, or leave it" atitude, and that's just what all and sundry can do.

Sounds like George Lucas.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Watch now folks as the amazing ikillchicken performs a magic trick: I shall react to this article...without posting a bunch of pissy "who cares, awards are biased/meaningless, that's just like...your opinion man" bullshit. Here we go.

*Drum roll*

Oh? This one anime movie didn't win this one award? Well that's okay. Maybe it didn't deserve to win. After all, there are tons of great movies out there and it's silly to automatically assume that this one was hands down the best.

Ta da!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Try to imagine if someone made a movie about the Manhattan project that only cared about the neat physics involved and a love story that resembles a Nicholas Spark novel, and never mentioned Hiroshima or Nagasaki. It wouldn't just have a tone of moral offensiveness, it also just wouldn't be that interesting.

Man, that sounds really dire. Still curious to see it myself, of course, but if that's true, yikes.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Watch now folks as the amazing ikillchicken performs a magic trick: I shall react to this article...without posting a bunch of pissy "who cares, awards are biased/meaningless, that's just like...your opinion man" bullshit. Here we go.

*Drum roll*

Oh? This one anime movie didn't win this one award? Well that's okay. Maybe it didn't deserve to win. After all, there are tons of great movies out there and it's silly to automatically assume that this one was hands down the best.

Ta da!

You only say that because you are an anti-anime kuso,you blindly hate anything anime related so you could protect you western superiority agenda.Every anime is better than anything live action.Its why I have hard time watching "Citizen Kane" when I know that anime "I Don't Like You at All, Big Brother!" just make it look like crap.
Now get out of here baka yarou! Razz Very Happy Razz Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2