• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tennis Manga Baby Steps Gets TV Anime Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
From the promotional image it looks like the T.V. series will tone down that ridiculous mohawk. Good.

There has been a lot of Anime Sports shows lately. That's a good thing, so long as they don't take over like cooking shows have done to live television.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
So long as they're not playing soft tennis!
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
...the sad thing about "nanshiki" tennis, which is about as different from real tennis ("koushiki," or "hard tennis") as putt-putt or beach golf is from real golf, is that the majority of "tennis" clubs and players in Japan are playing soft tennis.

It is a bastardization of a magnificent sport, designed for weaklings who can't handle real tennis.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
It is a bastardization of a magnificent sport, designed for weaklings who can't handle real tennis.

In other words, an easy social sport for those who aren't interested in becoming the next Roger Federer or Serena Williams but just want to have fun instead.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
(Real) Tennis is played by ages 2 to 102, so to answer your question, yes, but no. In reality it is an entirely different sport from tennis. You might as well play badminton. Badminton is a deceivingly easy but can be played at an extremely high level. It can actually be rougher than tennis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2