• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds Vampire Bund 2, Clay Lord, Evergreen, Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
So wait Vampire Bund isn't finished?
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Correct. Nozomu Tamaki debuted Dance in the Vampire Bund II: Scarlet Order in Comic Flapper back in December, and is currently on-going.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Correct. Nozomu Tamaki debuted Dance in the Vampire Bund II: Scarlet Order in Comic Flapper back in December, and is currently on-going.

Ah. Thanks for that info. I'm still waiting to read the last few issues of the first installment. I guess there is more to tell.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
Ah, I've heard of School Nurse Hitomi’s Infirmary before:

"These one-eyed manga comic heroines are totally safe for work, slightly less so for your sanity"

• After noticing the growing number of works by its members featuring one-eyed girls, pixiv declared that the first day of every month would be known as “One-Eyed Day.” Why that specific day? Because “the first day” and “One-Eyed Day” are both pronounced the same way in Japanese: hitotsu me no hi.

Always loving a good pun, Japanese artists got right behind the idea, and the movement gained enough momentum that major publishers have started getting in on the monocular action. New to the pages of Tokuma Shoten’s Monthly Comic Ryu anthology is the series School Nurse Hitomi’s Infirmary. Main character Hitomi has just one eye, and her name even means “pupil.” She also has a gigantic chest (of course), although thankfully the artist decided to grant Hitomi the standard set of two separate breasts.

▼ However the exact sizes work out, a girl with breasts the same size as her eye will always be terrifying.

Rival publishers aren’t taking Tokuma Shoten’s attempts to corner the monocular market lying down though. Micro Magazine has entered the fray with Mako-san and Hachisuka-kun, the story of one-eyed high school girl Mako and Hachisuka, the cat-eared boy who is infatuated with her. The series’ second collected volume went on sale last month.

Rounding out our collection of one-eyed heroines are characters from series Time Between Witch and Me, from publisher Shueisha, and Anarchy in the JK, bringing our total eyeball count up to five.

▼ Time Between the Witch and Me

But just what is the secret to these one-eyed girls’ success? Well, as we said above, the bigger the eye, the easier it is to convey emotion. Another theory that’s been put forth is that a funny feeling comes over guys if they gaze into a girl’s eyes long enough. This effect is inevitable with these charming cyclopes, since there’s simply no other place to look. Well, unless you happen to be talking to the aforementioned Hitomi…

Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Rival publishers aren’t taking Tokuma Shoten’s attempts to corner the monocular market lying down though. Micro Magazine has entered the fray with Mako-san and Hachisuka-kun, the story of one-eyed high school girl Mako and Hachisuka, the cat-eared boy who is infatuated with her. The series’ second collected volume went on sale last month.

That looks cute. Wouldn't mind reading that series. Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
I guess the market needs something new to go with the same old tropes. So let's do supernatural girls and boys. Is this a renaissance for the Japan manga market? Nah... I doubt it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
So, is Leela from Futerama popular in Japan? She's the first sexy animated cyclops heroine!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2