• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ushio & Tora (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
The scene where a lass offers main lad to hit her is super gross. It comes not even from 1990s, but from 1950s or something, when in some countries beating women/wives was all right, according to priests (so even women themselves (!) thought it was fine to get beaten from time to time, it was "proof of love").

According to the story, the exorcist is supposed to be "good" guy (just mistaken), but there is no way he could be since he had attacked much smaller main lad. This exorcist is a horrible person who deserves life time prison sentence without parole; he is dangerous maniac-sociopath.

The way main lad talks at the end of each episode with that stupid heroic smile is cheesy and annoying. This is a part of the damn formulae, apparently.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:
Welp, that was a solid episode imo.

I loved how Asako's courage and selflessness was portrayed this episode.
Not only that but I sense that she has similarities with Tatsuya as well. Glad to see everything worked out in the end. Tora also put up quite a show.

We'll probably learn more about the Beast Spear later as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Summer beach] episode!
Tora seemed to be enjoying the spoiler[seaside] too ^^
It was interesting to see Tora get a spoiler[request for help.]
Ushio and the others had to deal with spoiler[Tatsuya].
The whole thing escalated pretty quickly.
More about Ushio's past came out.
Tora is getting soft LOL
Another great episode!
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Hmm, I thought it was a solid episode as it focused strictly on Ushio and Tora this week with some family involvement.

Honestly, I want to see the true visage of that Beast Spear.
I bet it contains some grand secrets too...

Anyways, the fight lived up to my expectations on most parts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
With up to episode 6, this is still a second-rate monster-of-the-week show that does not develop story, characters or not even tells more on their background. Just a damn dumb filler.

Additionally, authors position main "good" monster to be super strong demon, even he always has trouble with his adversaries for an episode, so this notion becomes farce. If authors would engage better, smarter writing, they could have come up with stories that would not deflate the image of that character simply because they need some "drama"/"hardship" to occur.

Also, this show refers to demons as existing for, like, forever, and yet people are all shocked and surprised when they get into trouble because of them -- this makes no sense.

If, however, the idea is that monster's began to act visibly to humans only from the start of the story's contemporary time line, then it contradicts to other elements of the story, and is not explained why would monsters' activity would start to be visible to humanity exactly since the story began.

In a beach episode you see over-sized/over-long "shorts" on main lad -- I know it is result of Americanized fashion in Japan, but it still looks funny (most of the world wears swim-wear that fits much better): apparently, some people think that exactly (why?) male bare hip would look so obscene that you have to cover it at all costs, even if it makes you look like you came to sunbath in every-day clothes such as full pants (almost) because you have no money to buy proper swim wear. Laughing

Seriously, though, no one should sun-bath for more than fifteen minutes a day; otherwise it might become absolutely deadly due to much higher skin cancer risks.

Episode 7: finally something interesting.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

That was great.

It featured battles in the sky against a youkai. Ushio, Tora, and that girl worked quite well in the end imo to survive. I also found it funny at how Tora "taunted" Ushio to save the plane lol. And the fight itself was also entertaining too.

The episode has a tiny foreshadowing with a spoiler[particular name] so I'm interested to see what else is to come soon. Should be fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
The battle was good, but I find it a bit hard to believe that Ushio would be allowed to just run off like that in the end. Ushio would be on the plane manifest, so they would need to see him off, after the accident especially they would need to check everyone, and his luggage would still be there. Plus you would expect TV crews or in general news would run to the site after hearing about the event and there would have to be someone there. And imagine the black boxes, especially made me wonder how that would have gone with the previous event which should have made what happened far from a closed case, like jets have do have cameras on them, right?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Almost everything that was depicted in it (events, conversations, actions of characters) is ridiculous and impossible, this episode is even dumber that average for this show, but there was good green monster design at least.

It was so bad that it was good. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Well, I thought that was quite an intense episode of feelings especially against humans by the Kamitachi siblings.

Nice episode though. I like how Ushio played a critical role to help out the Kamaitachi siblings. Action was nice too! I think it's understandable in some ways that they harbor hate for the humans although their black and white view is a bit to the extreme, especially for Juurou. The Kamitachi siblings are also quite important to this series so it's nice to see their appearance imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I can never remember the name "kamaitachi", I always remember the name "sickle weasel", and it is a pretty sweet looking thing. One of my favourite Pokémon is based on it, and yes I do remember many things in terms of if they are connected to a Pokémon.

It was a charged episode and one of the better episodes at that.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the series so far, it looks like the technology some of the characters are using is a little more up to date than when the manga was originally written. There are two things I like about this series so far. The first is the cast. Ushio and Tora especially have a very balanced relationship and the voice actors have done a very good job in bringing the characters to life. Second has been the comedy. I've been getting plenty of laughs in with the well placed puns and humor that have come up. So far it's been an interesting story and can't wait to see what is going to happen starting episode 10. Hopefully spoiler[they get to Hokkaido soon.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Ah now that was interesting. We got Ushio and Tora helping out a girl named Saya to set a youkai free. Honestly, the episode showed how some humans can be when they treat them as nothing more than tools. Good thing Ushio and Tora came along to help.

Action was fast but sweet. I hope to see Saya again in the future.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Interestingly I actually recently learned about Zashiki-warashi from an OVA of Hozuki's Coolheadedness.

This was again another decent episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:
Well that was interesting.

In essence, I thought the episode did a good job at capturing the supernatural elements as well as Tora's past with Mayuko and Asako. The battle itself was fast but I think the main point was to establish the connection between the three main characters this week.

And such a funny ending at the end LOL
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting some wrap up over the broken mirror. Papa isn't going to be happy...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9