• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Metallic Rouge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dumas1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Never would've expected Tristram Shandy of all things to be referenced in an anime review. Old Uncle Tobey and his garden campaign maps will always stick with me, especially the way he showed the one woman interested in him "the exact spot" where me was wounded at the siege of Namur. And Tristram's discourse on hobby-horses occasionally comes to mind when talking about geeky things.

Anyway, this was a good episode and makes me wonder just how long these "Immortals" have been around. If Roy Junghardt was only murdered fairly recently, they can't have been made all that long ago unless human lifespans have been extended somehow.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dynamic between Ash and Cyan is also quite cute.

I really appreciate the whole "Dad trying to get a toddler to do what he wants" thing Ash has going on.

"We need to get to the control room"
"Don't wanna"
"Tell you what, lets race! Last one there is stinky!"
"What are you waiting around for Daaaad?"

Everything else was a little meh though.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The third and fourth paragraphs here were a good mirroring microcosm of how this show's worked for me since episode 2 (I can't fault anyone for saying since episode 1, but I cut it some slack there since it was a decent enough foundation).

Beyond that, I'll say the show's been pretty consistently ugly when individual sequences are clean and compelling, which I substantially chalk up to the key animator(s) involved and don't give much credit towards the show for. It just came to mind once more when I saw certain static shots while taking snapshots (such as during the Puppetmaster's very bad play when they're all gathered around).

And, finally, hoping Giallon goes "sicko" again, he's felt weirdly tempered down when we're approaching the climax, but here he's not been that much louder than the stoic and honorable (and nothing else) Grauphon. Annoying, but I can't say I'm surprised.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:28 am Reply with quote
>It lacks the romance and panache of a more sophisticated series like Brave Bang Bravern!, but it's acceptable.

You meant you wanted it to be silly and having romance which is also silly imo
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Free Cyan!

That's really all I've got to say. Tbh, I'm not sure I care about anything else at this point. I don't have a lot of sympathy for any of the main factions.

Rouge seems like a good kid, but it seems unfair to put "solve institutionalised slavery and establish a moral framework for the rights of artificial lifeforms" on her somewhat dumb shoulders. It'd probably be best if the show doesn't try to have any answers on that front at this point. Some sort of "And then Rouge sacrificed her Id to free the Neans and in her last act asked them not to take violent revenge on the humans.. and so they didn't and everyone lived happily ever after" type deus ex machina would be deeply unsatisfying.

Visually and aurally still a treat though, and I've enjoyed watching it every week. Maybe we don't need to ask for more than that.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Well that was great. That was also the worst show I watched to completion last season. An absolute mess upon messes on multiple narrative levels, and one of the ugliest pretty shows I've seen recently. Overly predictable, and filled with fastballs encasing further fastballs, like everything in that last quarterish.

If this gets a follow-up of any kind I am so very down. I think I had more fun following it than I did most of my other seasonals.
uhuurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The finale somehow managed to exceed my expectations, I knew it was gonna be bad but my God what a laughable, embarassing, egregious trainwreck that was. Literally everything Roy says is contradicted throughout the whole show and even in the following seconds, but I was still holding it together. It's later when the show tried to add its ninetieth "twist" in the very last 3 minutes, just to say "sike!" 10 seconds later, that I bursted out laughing, and I haven't stopped yet.

Either the writers just gave up and started trolling, or they were that desperate to hold the audience attention for even just another moment. Also, the ending is pretty much exactly what the white-haired android girl wanted, so what was even the point of all the conflict then? I could go on for ages about all the terrible dialogue and cringy lines between the leads (as always), the cheap deaths, the pointlessness of the aliens plot, and much more, but the truth is simply that there was really nothing good at all about this. Almost impressive in a way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Y'all are gonna make Todd_Harry08 cry. Laughing Laughing Laughing In the Worst Anime talkback thread he pointed out that this is actually a great show but sadly most people aren't intelligent enough to understand it. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Haha, what a delightfully hot mess that turned out to be. Insanity all round. We'd missed out on a handful of cliches up to this point, so we'll just mix them all in together at the end there. Along with some twists that somehow managed to be both out of nowhere and terribly predictable. (Not clown lady being an Usurper of course, that qualifies as neither a twist nor a spoiler)

Still... it was a lot of fun.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 pm Reply with quote
uhuurt wrote:
Either the writers just gave up and started trolling, or they were that desperate to hold the audience attention for even just another moment. Also, the ending is pretty much exactly what the white-haired android girl wanted, so what was even the point of all the conflict then? Almost impressive in a way.

Having watched the fourth episode of the BONES 25: DREAMING FORWARD documentary, no, I'm pretty confident that this is (potentially part of) the story they wanted to tell, no notes. But actually, some notes anyway, because I did find the doc interesting. In general, but also in relation to the show. It strikes me as a series where a lot of thought did in fact go into its narrative. If you're using troll as a euphemism for something else, my apologies in misreading.

Regardless, though, quotes shared for those that don't want to click the link (with extras I didn't bother to cap the first or second time), since this really is informative and pretty unambiguous on top of docs always being nice:
Designer/Illustrator/Director Izubuchi Yutaka wrote:
Rather than simply creating a series, Bones creates a historical timeline, and one specific part of that becomes Metallic Rouge ... There's an overall feel to the series. It has a tech-noir impression.

FULL TELEVISION NETWORK Producer Mori Akitoshi wrote:
In current society, Metallic Rouge s a very orthodox science fiction series with a fairly complex story. But having two women for the main characters instead of men is very modern and iconic. Rather than relying on someone else, together they create their own destiny. That's a modern story.

Narrator Suwabe Junichi wrote:
At first glance it seems like a battle-centric sci-fi action series, but the story also depicts Rouge's and Naomi's deepening relationship and the strange bonds that form between them and their enemies.

Sound team Don Juan Sound Director and Mixer Yamada Haru wrote:
The story is complex, but it's the simple struggle to understand human relationships within that complexity that's charming.

Narration wrote:
Izubuchi referenced not only robot series such as RahXephon, but also tokusatsu to create Metallic Rouge's setting.

Plastic Artist Takeya Takumi wrote:
Kinkaider and Metallic Rouge feature similar characters who have to fight similar enemies. Kikaider has to fight his own siblings even though he doesn't want to.

Narration wrote:
Motonobu Hori, who directed ambitious Bones projects including Carole &Tuesday and Super Crooks would direct this series written by Izubuchi.

Composer Iwasaki Taisei wrote:
The director loves what we call Macaroni Westerns in Japan. He wanted to transform a single phrase into many different forms. We referenced old Macaroni Westerns and updated them for modern phrasing. This is why the same phrase appears multiple times throughout the series.

Animation Director Hori Motonobu wrote:
Tarantino creates a brand new style by applying music from old movies to new films. I think we achieved something similar to that. It's an action anime with a vintage feel in a good way.

There are a lot more neat bits in terms of the production across every level, though that's not what's being discussed anyway -- as much as they do all form the singular whole of this show -- so I'm brushing over that.

It's a weird show. I think there is, perhaps, the potential for something great in the people brought on board, the sources pulled from, and the the specific themes worked with. At the very least, it interests me thinking about the building blocks that went into it. It really is, or at least is an honest full attempt at, a modern throwback taking from disparate inspirations while trying to create a fundamentally straightforward story underneath all of the proper nouns. And I like the concept and the foundation being worked with. You can't, of course, take the end result as the outline, but it does make me personally appreciate both more and think about what it could be and what it simply... is.

All the more so since I haven't actually considered it a consummate mess: The fight scenes worked at times, the character acting could pop at times even outside of standout idiosyncratic cuts, the concept is far from meatless, I personally adore the Gladiator/Immortal Nine designs, and the sort of metaphysical space it is trying to work in is of personal interest to me as well, plus some particular lines really hit despite and because of this show's shortcomings ("perfect stranger" being standout). I was still largely not taken by the fights, found it meandering and half-baked, thought it dealt too much in obfuscation where straightforward interrogation might actually have served as a better engine for investigating various forms of "freedom" and what it means to live, think it could have used some severe editing and reworking (geez, Wellstown except for Afdal, and all the more so since the former strikes me as being used even more in service of the latter weeks later), was too interested in 'artificial' cliffhangers instead of letting the plot itself create tension to look forward to (The Dangers In My Heart S2 did that really well for a recent example). I've seen word of Izubuchi apparently wanting two seasons for this, but never have I seen it sourced -- anyone familiar?

I still like it a lot, despite being such an un unwieldy, scattershot and disjointed mess, which also retroactively makes some of the things it tried to do it anywhere from worse to downright tasteless at best, now having finished it (I'll just say the underclass of Neans could be wildly better). I guess, because of all of its plentiful warts. There is simply so much and so little going on, at every possible juncture, if simply looking at the show on its own terms and nothing else. But also I can't not think of the everything else, never mind what I'd call the gap in what it is and what it could be. Those final few minutes sunk the ship only for it cozily float underneath. Glad I kept up, in a manner of speaking.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame that Bones celebrated its 25th anniversary with this disappointing show. They got Yutaka Izubuchi, Toshihiro Kawamoto, Taisei Iwasaki and a crack team of mecha animators together but forgot to hire a head writer who's actually good at sci-fi mindf*cks like Chiaki Konaka or Sadayuki Murai. Hell, I'd even take Dai Sato (who hasn't written anything really good since Ergo Proxy in my opinion) over Toshizo Nemoto.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:30 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:

FULL TELEVISION NETWORK Producer Mori Akitoshi wrote:
In current society, Metallic Rouge s a very orthodox science fiction series with a fairly complex story. But having two women for the main characters instead of men is very modern and iconic. Rather than relying on someone else, together they create their own destiny. That's a modern story.

It's kinda time "female leads" stopped being considered some sort of USP or quirky feature? If that's the bar for "original idea" you've got problems. Which of course is unfair to the writing team, because they had plenty of ideas besides this (not all of them good ones, or properly committed to...), and Rouge and Naomi's relationship and its evolution are absolutely the core of the show. So perhaps this thought is just poorly expressed by Akitoshi-san, but it doesn't half grate.

I still like it a lot, despite being such an un unwieldy, scattershot and disjointed mess

Yup.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Composer Iwasaki Taisei wrote:
The director loves what we call Macaroni Westerns in Japan.

Is this what he actually said, or was "spaghetti" just translated as "macaroni"? It's kinda hilarious either way. Laughing I wonder if it's because "spaghetti" has come to sound more stodgy and less cool to Japanese ears, in preference to the classier sounding "pasta" (or so I have read).
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is this what he actually said, or was "spaghetti" just translated as "macaroni"? It's kinda hilarious either way. Laughing I wonder if it's because "spaghetti" has come to sound more stodgy and less cool to Japanese ears, in preference to the classier sounding "pasta" (or so I have read).

According to Wikipedia, citing a special edition blu-ray of A Fistful of Dollars, "Spaghetti Westerns are also known as Italian Westerns or, primarily in Japan, Macaroni Westerns." I am guessing a translation or substitution of spaghetti was involved at some point in that transition, though I am idly curious whether the name "Morricone" was involved.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
It's kinda time "female leads" stopped being considered some sort of USP or quirky feature? If that's the bar for "original idea" you've got problems. Which of course is unfair to the writing team, because they had plenty of ideas besides this (not all of them good ones, or properly committed to...), and Rouge and Naomi's relationship and its evolution are absolutely the core of the show. So perhaps this thought is just poorly expressed by Akitoshi-san, but it doesn't half grate.

Agreed, lol. Lycoris Recoil to the best of my memory simply did it, just for a super-recent example; although I do hope there are docs or something like that on it I'm unaware of. I want to be charitable, and account it to translation and limited runtime, since they're all 25 minutes max and quite a lot of ground was covered. But it did make me just sort of... softly chuckle.

And yeah, Gina Szanboti, "マカロニウエスタン" (makaroni wesutan) is said clear as day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6