• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Certain Scientific Railgun TV Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
but then there is the boob grabbing in the shower, teleporting Mikoto's underwear off, ordering love potions, constant invasion of personal space, and other generally creepy actions. sure, she may not be a psycho, but she sure aint normal.

While she is not normal, who is in that world. Mikoto must view her as a good friend, because she puts up with her antics.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
getchman wrote:
but then there is the boob grabbing in the shower, teleporting Mikoto's underwear off, ordering love potions, constant invasion of personal space, and other generally creepy actions. sure, she may not be a psycho, but she sure aint normal.

While she is not normal, who is in that world. Mikoto must view her as a good friend, because she puts up with her antics.

Hahaha, any girl who wouldn't mind her panties knickered off must be too. Laughing
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Banken wrote:
Competent fighter? No, she's literally classified as a one-man army. Or a living weapon of mass destruction. The fact that most anyone can develop ability with effort is what's amusing about the Raildex world.

Except is it so? Its seems more like most people who might be able to develop ability with effort have been collected in Academy City.

Oh, is that part of the plot? Didn't know.

It would work either way... people who want to develop abilities would have to go to Academy City to get training to do so anyway.

Kind of have to wonder if schools there actually give a complete education... lol

Also, maybe Mikoto likes being hit on. Who knows? 13 year-old girls are weird.
fire_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, I'm shitting my pants right now! Railgun was tons better than index, I'm so happy my favourite series got continuation.

Yeah baby! Very Happy
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Can anyone explain to me why they think Railgun is better than Index, if they do think that?

I mean I just don't get it. The plot was generally more about girl/friendship and so was less interesting/grandiose, the fanservice wasn't as good, you lose out on a major protagonist that is actually interesting in that kind of a series, all to get a fairly typical Tsundere without the object of her affection being around much.

I just ... am ... not ... seeing ... it.

This isn't to say I didn't like the show mind you. I liked Railgun and finished it and would watch more of it for certain. I just can't see how it's a better show than Index. It loses the variety and gains little in return.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why they think Railgun is better than Index, if they do think that?

I mean I just don't get it. The plot was generally more about girl/friendship and so was less interesting/grandiose, the fanservice wasn't as good, you lose out on a major protagonist that is actually interesting in that kind of a series, all to get a fairly typical Tsundere without the object of her affection being around much.

The plot was generally more about girl/friendship and so was less grandiose, and therefore more interesting, the fanservice, which generally drags a series down, is so focused on one over the top character that its easier to set to one side, and Railgun without her secret crush being around much is a much more well rounded character than your normal shallow tsundere.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I liked SR, but to me MI showed a lot more imagination in its plots. The second season of MI didn't stack up to the first, I didn't think, but again, I found it enjoyable enough. Frankly, they can so as many sequels, movies and OVAs of both titles as they want - it's all good.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

This isn't to say I didn't like the show mind you. I liked Railgun and finished it and would watch more of it for certain. I just can't see how it's a better show than Index. It loses the variety and gains little in return.

Just a matter of each individuals taste and interests.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Because Index is atrociously horrible at what it sets out to do.

Also, I want you to explain how Touma is at all "interesting" when all he is is a bog-standard self-insert Gary Stu who gets all the women for no adequately explained reason and has 95% of his fights end with the villain of the arc suddenly becoming incredibly stupid just in time for Touma to punch them in the face. Not to mention his power is 100% plot-driven, and what he can and cannot block/dissipate depends entirely on what is needed at the time.

Not to mention it has accumulated a gigantic cast of secondary characters (most all of whom are female) who never actually do anything after their intro arc, just shifted off to the side while more and more girls are introduced.

On the other hand, Railgun has a core cast of four characters, each of whom brings something different to the table. The abilities of the characters are consistent and well defined, and without Touma around, Mikoto's a pretty interesting character. She cares for her friends (and yes, that includes Kuroko, who is, you may remember, Mikoto's best friend in the entire world), its stories are driven by the characters. The first season had two major arcs, each of which started small scale, but built gradually over the course of seamingly unconnected episodes to a massive confrontation at the end.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
My favorite is Railgun, but I like Index too.

That said, all Railgun fans must acknowledge, that without the Index anime, there would be no Railgun anime.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
i dont have a favorite. i like the whole franchise
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

That said, all Railgun fans must acknowledge, that without the Index anime, there would be no Railgun anime.

No, we don't all have to acknowledge that.

Obviously without the Index light novels, there would be no Railgun manga, and with no Railgun manga, there's be no Railgun anime.

Why the success of the Index anime, without any input from the Railgun manga, would lead to a Railgun anime rather than immediately going to an Index 2 ...
... well, there's no reason to believe that it would have.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

No, we don't all have to acknowledge that.

Obviously without the Index light novels, there would be no Railgun manga, and with no Railgun manga, there's be no Railgun anime.

Why the success of the Index anime, without any input from the Railgun manga, would lead to a Railgun anime rather than immediately going to an Index 2 ...
... well, there's no reason to believe that it would have.

Railgun is a spin off of Index. Usually, if the original doesn't make it, nor will the spin off. Yes, there is always the chance and nothing is impossible. But it is not likely.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Railgun is a spin off of Index. Usually, if the original doesn't make it, nor will the spin off. Yes, there is always the chance and nothing is impossible. But it is not likely.

We may have to "acknowledge" it, but we don't have to care
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8