• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Discs of Steel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Purple:
Quote:
Also, it's very clear that the powers-that-be are focusing on LIMITED MARKETS AT A TIME.

Which means they're actively encouraging it to continued to be pirated everywhere, instead of selling it off all at once, so that they get their money.

Quote:
There is no evidence that they outright don't care though. Policing piracy is very difficult if not outright impossible, especially for a show like that.

According to The Age, Petrarca said that illegal downloads did not matter because such shows thrived on "cultural buzz" and capitalise on the social commentary they generated. More buzz equals an increase in show's popularity, and "that's how they survive."

Quote:
Even if the motion picture industry did look down upon used DVDs/Blu-rays (which they probably do), it doesn't mean they don't care about piracy.

Actually, they give a helping hand to pirates.

Agent:
Quote:
They care more about providing incentives for expensive subscription packages (that have to be added to already expensive cable plans) than they do about making any particular show more accessible, but they certainly discourage piracy.

A warning letter isn't really discouraging piracy. They should be shutting down whatever torrent you got it from, but as I pointed out above, they think it's good publicity.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Note that this stands as zero evidence regarding whether or not HBO cares ... those are the views of a director who has worked on HBO productions, not the views of HBO.

Quote:
Agent:
Quote:
They care more about providing incentives for expensive subscription packages (that have to be added to already expensive cable plans) than they do about making any particular show more accessible, but they certainly discourage piracy.

A warning letter isn't really discouraging piracy. They should be shutting down whatever torrent you got it from, but as I pointed out above, they think it's good publicity.

The policy of three strikes and you lose your cable internet service would seem to be a more direct attack on piracy than your suggestion that they play a pointless game of torrent seed wackamole, where you are likely to see two pop up for each one you get shut down.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
agila: People can get around losing their ISP.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 has explained the lack of a new Sailor Moon license in the US very well. I would like to see some sources for the international stuff (because I'm unfamiliar with the French and Italian anime markets), but I found all those tidbits really interesting.

The info from Dynit (Italy) can be found here.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=106308969541422&id=102691520825&comment_id=21353&offset=100&total_comments=159 (It's in Italian but look through the previous comments for their post from December 21st, 2012)

As for Kaze France, someone by the name of sailormoongalaxy mentioned this here.

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=645780

Since Mexico was mentioned, that info was said in a Spanish podcast but there's a full translation of the licensing info (along with a translation of the Dynit post) on page 2 of that same thread.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Which means they're actively encouraging it to continued to be pirated everywhere, instead of selling it off all at once, so that they get their money.

Once again, this is a direct assumption on your part, nothing more, and you have no proof.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Note that this stands as zero evidence regarding whether or not HBO cares ... those are the views of a director who has worked on HBO productions, not the views of HBO.

Quote:
Agent:
Quote:

The policy of three strikes and you lose your cable internet service would seem to be a more direct attack on piracy than your suggestion that they play a pointless game of torrent seed wackamole, where you are likely to see two pop up for each one you get shut down.

If you are getting your anime through illegal torrents, especially the main stream or popular stuff, the last thing you are going to do is use your home ISP. There are so many other free ISP options available to you.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Tars: That's true, too. But then that's just further proves that Toei does not take this shit seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9