• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Samurai 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The thing about those US TV DVDs is that those shows have already made their money, many of them years ago. For those shows, getting a DVD release isn't a necessity, it's simply a way to squeeze more money out of those shows. Anime on the other hand doesn't get that sort of TV exposure in the US and needs to be sold high in order to pay for all of their expenses like licensing and distribution or other things that US shows don't have to worry about like paying voice actors and subtitling for the first time around.

I actually doubt we'll see the prices on DVDs come down any time soon. Since DVDs were introduced as the anime delivery system of choice in the late '90s the fandom has grown significantly and yet the prices have remained the same. Maybe they're being greedy or maybe they just have a lot of expenses to cover, but whatever the reasoning is the prices are still much better than VHS has ever been. Now we get DVDs with more episodes, bonus content, and bilingual for the same price, I just don't see the prices coming down. And of course, US DVDs will always be lower than Japanese DVDs, we've got it made.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Ehh.., not that this post has anything in particular to do with fansubbing, FUNimation, or Samurai 7, but to you guys (or gals) who are talking about subs and dubs.

It's really just a personal preference on what you feel is more entertaining. If you like to read subs and listen to the Japanese language, that's fine. If you like to watch anime and listen to it in English (the language you are obviously more comfortable with), then by all means, listen to your anime in whichever audio track you feel is more personally enjoyable.

I'm not trying to escalate this thread into a sub vs. dub argument (as this thread is long enough already Razz), but I just wanted to comment on it by saying, that it's OK to watch anime in either language, but if you're going to say so, please don't try to say "it's just better because it is" or something of the sort. It's that kind of thought process that sometimes leads to elitism Sad.

I respect people for having their opinions, and though I may not agree with all of them (the opinions), I just don't feel you can say one option is universally always better than the other. So, let's try to keep that agument neutral, neh? Wink

Heh, sorry for the ranting if it seems like I'm doing it. It's just that I haven't been on the Forums in a while, and I wanted to vent some "mental excrement," so to speak. And please don't take that the wrong way! Laughing
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and then there's the "Rocky and Bullwinkle show" Many of you are too young to remember this show, but it originally aired in the 60's and 70's and reran in the 80's. The BX here on base (I'm in the Air Force if you're interested) has that boxset, 52 episodes for $26. That's the cheapest I've ever seen a boxset like that, and its only 1" thick too.

The other thing is that they do sell anime (in a 10 foot section) and they do sell it for cheaper, typically $5-10 cheaper, but they don't have that great of a selection, and what they do get, they randomly order, so you might have the first two DVD's for a series and not the rest, or they might have a DVD that's somewhere in the middle, but no other part.

The biggest alternative is to go to:
Suncoast - Expensive - $30 for all current release DVD's, $20 for any re-release DVD (Geneon Signature series, ADV Anime Essentials)
BestBuy - The same as or cheaper than the BX, has some stuff what Suncoast doesn't
DeepDiscountDVD - extremely cheap, as cheap as $12 each for the Aura Battler Dunbine DVD's, Tenchi GXP and Cowboy Bebop is $17.99, Inuyasha is $13.49 for each DVD. Expect Samurai 7 to be the same price as Tenchi GXP. The most expensive stuff there for anime is $22.31 for anime from Geneon (Chobits, Mahoromatic). Oh and boxsets are cheap, typically $30 (or more) cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kimura Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:47 am Reply with quote
I was quite suprised Funimation got the license for this expensive anime. I thought ADV or Geneon would end up getting this licensed. Funimation are getting some good title license lately, cant wait until they release Gunslinger Girl
teknikalshiznitz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
ya know...to me.....im just happy that funimation decided to license Samurai 7...and why is that?

because its not Tokyo Pop Laughing
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally I can't stand Funimation or Tokyo Pop(their anime) at this point because both of those companies have been messing up really bad lately. I don't even like the idea of them making an anime version of The Seven Samurai all together. I wish people would just leave these movies alone.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Personally I can't stand Funimation or Tokyo Pop(their anime) at this point because both of those companies have been messing up really bad lately.

How, exactly? I've been hearing a lot of Tokyopop bashing lately, and I'm curious as to the reasons why. Also, I'd like to know what "really bad mess-ups" FUNimation's done recently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
How, exactly? I've been hearing a lot of Tokyopop bashing lately, and I'm curious as to the reasons why. Also, I'd like to know what "really bad mess-ups" FUNimation's done recently.

I may be able to understand Tokyopop, but I don't see how FUNimation's "messed up" as of recently.

The only Tokypop anime I've seen, though, is GTO. It has a horrible dub and the subs could use a better font size and color. The translations seemed pretty good (as little Japanese as I actually know), but yeah, the only real problems were the dubbing and subbing, which I guess constitutes most, if not all of the viewability, but the series is so "great" it didn't really matter anyway. Anime catgrin

As for FUNimation, the only title of their's that I've seen recently (post DB/Z/GT) is Tenchi Muyo! GXP. And though over half of the VAs for that show are actually from outside FUNi's studio, the acting was OK and a lot more faithful to the script (than FUNi used to be), aside from a few word and grammar changes. However, it still boggles me why they'd need both a dub and Japanese script for the subs, but maybe they'll figure something out later Anime dazed.

Most of the voices weren't perfect to my standards (as picky as I am Razz), but from a general view, I feel they did a fairly decent job, probably at about the level of a typical Bandai dub (which I suppose could vary depending on personal preferences Smile).

Overall, I think from what little I've been exposed to since the DB days, they've improved greatly and I hope they continue to get better.

Hopefully, they'll do a good job on Samurai 7 as well.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:48 am Reply with quote
Simple put Anime should all ways be watched as close to the original way as possble and since all English dubbs are changed to suit what the VA directer and scripters THINK the anime should be YOU should all ways watch anime in Original japanese with English Subs ((if you don't speak japanese)) It's that simple. If you don't like watching anime in japanese I suggest you stop watching it. Since the English your watching and listen to .. is some English speakers opinion on the characterization of the anime. So don't watch Dubbed Anime.. always was anime as close to original as possible.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:10 am Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
Simple put Anime should all ways be watched as close to the original way as possble and since all English dubbs are changed to suit what the VA directer and scripters THINK the anime should be YOU should all ways watch anime in Original japanese with English Subs ((if you don't speak japanese)) It's that simple. If you don't like watching anime in japanese I suggest you stop watching it. Since the English your watching and listen to .. is some English speakers opinion on the characterization of the anime. So don't watch Dubbed Anime.. always was anime as close to original as possible.

Woohoo sub vs. dub debate.

Now, for me, I simply view language as a medium to convey stories, information, and whatever else to people who happen to be near you, or, suprisingly enough, speak the same language. The creators of Samurai 7 are Japanese, and it is airing on Japanese TV. Therefore, it'd make sense for it to be in Japanese. However, if they were so insistant on having it in Japanese (you'd think the creators WOULD have a say), then why would they allow an English track to be made, if, as you say, you should watch it however the director did it?

Anime, nor any other form of media, be it music, movies, or whatever, is not meant to be dictated by high-and-mighty fans pushing some made-up list of "rules" onto other people. I'll watch Berserk in English, Escaflowne in Japanese, Memories in german, and Tokyo Godfathers in Spanish, because I have paid for it, and therefore deserve to watch it in any way the distributor/creator makes it available to me.

And to HELL with anyone who tells me otherwise.

PS; your little tirade on how English dubs are changed, and that you shoul;d always watch it in Japanese with English subtitles for accuracy. Some English translations aren't as accurate as they can be. If your purists standards are to properly apply to ANYTHING, then you should assert that all Anime should be watched in Japanese, with no translations.
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:

Laughing
Thanks for that, it really made me laugh!
What happened to watching things how you enjoy them? If I like watching anime dubbed does it make me any less of a fan? No.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
BeyonderZ wrote:
Simply put... (etc.)...

Woohoo sub vs. dub debate (etc.)...

Like I said, it's just really a matter of personal preference. One language shouldn't be considered better than the other because it's just all opinion. It's OK if someone prefers dubs over subs and vise-versa, but I think it's wrong to try and force everyone to agree on one idea. Remember, that's why a lot of anime DVDs are bi- (and sometimes even tri-) lingual nowadays. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quote
What has FUNimation "messed up recently"? Hmm. Failing to get the original VA's for that infamous episode 17 of GXP comes to mind. Then there's that "Greatest Mess Up of All" iceberg lurking in the dark waters they are steaming at full speed towards. Wink

For me dubs are a personal need because at my age the old eyes just can't handle subs anymore. Shocked

And finally, FUNi didn't get the UK rights for Samurai 7, like they did for their other recent acquisitions. So it looks like we are left in the cold again. Crying or Very sad But then there is aways the R1 imports. God bless Mult- region players and long may they be on sale. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:26 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
If you don't like watching anime in japanese I suggest you stop watching it. Since the English your watching and listen to .. is some English speakers opinion on the characterization of the anime.

That's laughable. Seeing as how subtitles are written by some "english speaker" their script is also based on how they interpret it. You could probably watch 30 fansubs of the same episode and never get the exact same script. Who's to say which one is right and which ones are wrong? Since you don't speak Japanese then how could you possibly know that the subtitles you're reading are accurate? Subtitles are there so that you can watch a show with the original actors, NOT necessarily so you can get a more acurate script.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What has FUNimation "messed up resently"? Hmm. Failing to get the original VA's for that infamous episode 17 of GXP comes to mind. Then there's that "Greatest Mess Up of All" iceberg lurking in the dark waters they are steaming at full speed towards. Wink

So they didn't get a bunch of VAs? what, they promised that they'd get them or something? They were under no obligation.

Also, what's this "greatest mess of all time" you're refering to?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10