• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
I am with Ralifar in wondering how you incorporate a Hindu movement with Catholicism. For me personally, while I am a nonreligious Christian, I do respect the views of religions like Buddhism and Hinduism. While I don't want to incorporate that into my beliefs (Refer to the first 2 Commandments), I do see similarities between Buddha and Jesus in their teachings.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Year I Started Watching Anime: 2002

Quote:
Total Anime Watched: 120

Is that normal? I ask because in a 1 year span I've seen over 200. I feel like I need a to see a therapist now. I may have a problem.

Bento-Box wrote:
Favorite Anime Titles: Card Captor Sakura, Slayers, Full Metal Panic, Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Escaflowne, Higurashi, Elfen Lied, Read or Die (TV), Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (original - not the new season), and Shakugan no Shana

That's some great taste you've got there. No, that's DAMN good taste you've got there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
Year I Started Watching Anime: 2002

Quote:
Total Anime Watched: 120

Is that normal? I ask because in a 1 year span I've seen over 200. I feel like I need a to see a therapist now. I may have a problem.

Of course that's normal. You're the abnormal here!
Well, we're in the same boat. Was it not for World of Warcraft I'd probably have watched over 600 anime in 2 years time.
Toxic Jackal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Ralifar wrote:
Toxic Jackal wrote:

Religion: Roman Catholic and Gaudiya Vaisnava

Favorite Foods: poppyseed lemon muffins, bacon, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, etc.

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy yourself.

I'm interested to know how you incorporate Roman Catholicism and Gaudiya Vaishnavism. I'm not attacking your faith or anything like that. I'm honestly curious.

And if you practice Gaudiya Vaishnavism shouldn't you be a vegetarian. Razz

Do your research. Both traditions are incredibly similar, so I find them easily compatible. However, that's probably what other people wouldn't tell me. I don't consider myself really Hindu yet, but one in learning. Hinduism can be as vast and problematic as Christianity, meaning, if I talk to one Hindu/Christian about something, the next Hindu/Christian I talk to could disagree with the last on a certain issue. Not all GV's are "strict" vegetarian either; some not even vegetarian at all. Also, I DO NOT belong to ISKCON, which is a major contributor to spreading GV to the west. I am not nuts, and clearly I find some of their beliefs a little, well, wacky.

I'm surprised anyone knew what GV was, or did you just wikipedia it?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Of course that's normal. You're the abnormal here!

I thought so Sad

Quote:
Well, we're in the same boat. Was it not for World of Warcraft I'd probably have watched over 600 anime in 2 years time.

I've started playing games again for the same reason. I've slowed down my anime consumption by a lot from simply playing more video games. I used to go through about 6-7 shows a week, now, depending on the show, I'll go through 2 shows a week.

Now I feel more abnormal because I slowed down my anime watching by playing video games. Now I know I need help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ralifar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Toxic Jackal wrote:

Do your research. Both traditions are incredibly similar....

I am not nuts, and clearly I find some of their beliefs a little, well, wacky.

I'm surprised anyone knew what GV was, or did you just wikipedia it?

I have researched it before. I was baptized under the Roman Catholic faith, and everyone on my fathers side of the family is Roman Catholic. So I already know a thing or two about that. I had a friend that followed the ways of Gaudiya Vaishnavism, so in addition to what I was told I've looked a few things up on it, and, yes, one of those things was wikipedia, but that was awhile back. Razz

I know they share some similar tenants. I just wanted to know how you dealt with them. I believe you're the only other person I've ever seen mention Gaudiya Vaishnavism.

I don't think you're nuts I was just curious. Smile

I didn't know what ISKCON was until you just mentioned it though. I had to look that up. Wink

Bento-Box wrote:

You can't be old. If you were old then that would make me old too. Since I'm 27, and 27 isn't old, that means you're still a young pup. Razz

Welcome to the forums Bento-Box.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, King of Hearts.

Anime smile

I spent most of my early time watching InuYasha and Full Metal Panic and some Gundam Stuff. I forgot how many I had actually seen, so I went by my list on Anime-Planet which doesn't include a few here or there.

I wish I could watch as many as you guys in one year, but I was working full time for a very long time and was very burnt out and just kinda wanted to slink into bed when I got home. I've also rewatched several series whenever I met some people who haven't seen something good. Don't worry, I'll catch up soon. ^_~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
I wish I could watch as many as you guys in one year, but I was working full time for a very long time and was very burnt out and just kinda wanted to slink into bed when I got home. I've also rewatched several series whenever I met some people who haven't seen something good. Don't worry, I'll catch up soon. ^_~

I wish I had as much free time as you think! I also work full-time, 7 days a week... with a day off here and there. But in my opinion, the most time consuming(in a good way) would be a family. I don't have one, which explains my free time.

The King of Harts wrote:
I've started playing games again for the same reason. I've slowed down my anime consumption by a lot from simply playing more video games. I used to go through about 6-7 shows a week, now, depending on the show, I'll go through 2 shows a week.

That was what I thought as well. But back then I didn't know ANN's "my anime" list. The number I have on "Wish to see"* is close to the number of my "Seen all" which is a little over 300. But yeah, playing games was a total waste of my time, life and career.

*"Wish to see" is still incomplete, it's missing from "A" to "I". My "Seen All" is almost complete, though.
Toxic Jackal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Ralifar said:
"I have researched it before. I was baptized under the Roman Catholic faith, and everyone on my fathers side of the family is Roman Catholic. So I already know a thing or two about that. I had a friend that followed the ways of Gaudiya Vaishnavism, so in addition to what I was told I've looked a few things up on it, and, yes, one of those things was wikipedia, but that was awhile back. Razz

I know they share some similar tenants. I just wanted to know how you dealt with them. I believe you're the only other person I've ever seen mention Gaudiya Vaishnavism.

I don't think you're nuts I was just curious. Smile

I didn't know what ISKCON was until you just mentioned it though. I had to look that up. Wink "

I don't visit a GV temple, or any Hindu temple for that matter. I do however attend mass every week, as I'm a "revert" to the Catholic faith. But at the same time, I've been studying Hinduism for a year. I am "western" convert to Hinduism as well. Out of curiosity, what nationality was your friend? Was your friend Indian or not? While there are many western converts that go into ISKCON, there are many that go into different denominations as well.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
She is of Indian decent. Her parents were originally from India, but she was born in America. I don't think her parents were GV though. I can't quite remember what particular faith they were. It's been awhile.

I'm always interested in learning more about different religions, but unless something drastically changes in me then I will more than likely remain agnostic.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Either way, welcome to the forums Dustin(though I'm a bit late Wink ), Delta, Jenn and Kari. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Though I'm new myself, I hope I won't scare you away with my creepy, unintelligent and thoughtless posts. Very Happy
Also, I'd like to invite you to join Key's best team/organisation tournament, if you feel like spending a little of your time.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes and . . . it would be pretty hard to scare me off. Anime smile

You'll have to pardon my long wind-ed nature from time to time as I usually spend most of my day alone and have no one to talk to about anime until my boyfriend gets home and I unload on him. Sad

Lately, I think I've been scaring him with my banter so he suggested that I go find a forum somewhere filled with people who enjoy discussing, purchasing, and any other aspect of anime. While he enjoys it, he usually doesn't want to sit around discussing plots, soundtracks, characters, etc. So, now you guys have me to deal with. Anime smile

Not to quote something nonanime but . . . "No, I'm not trapped in here with all of you. You're all trapped in here with me."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Konnichiwa, Bento-Box. Hope you enjoy your self. BTW, my username is likely one of the most difficult to properly pronounce on the forums.
(Ket-uh-MAY-NAY) is the pronunciation.

This is the explanation for my name:My username comes from the Latinized version of the obscure younger sister of Odysseus. She married a prince from the island of Samos but grew up with Odysseus' friend Eumaios.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
lol

Thanks for the welcome!

Just finished reading Edith Hamilton's Mythology - thought the name looked familiar. ^_~
Mahog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Like my message states, I am new to the site. Hello all. So I just finished watching Baccano. WOW, I am thoroughly impressed. I personally haven't seen its equal in plot and the way the story unfolded. For me that isn't saying much. At this juncture, Baccano is my number one. Please feel free to recommend some Anime that has the potential to knock Baccano out of the number one spot for me.

Well hope to hear from you all.

Ciao
Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 83 of 233