• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 in Japan Arrested for Unauthorized K-ON! Car Stickers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
This is just bullshit...this basically makes Itasha illegal...what the hell?

If this is not illegal, then i will make k-on, anime, and American cartoon stickers right now. Pretty much free money. I don't have to hire art designer or paid loyalty. Just print and sell.

It's hardly such a simple thing as what you would make out here, there are costs of production and once you could do this everyone else could do the same thing, so why would they go pay for yours rather than someone elses? You'd also likely need to start promoting your stickers in some fashion and the likelihood you could keep popularity once the producers of the show said that you were "unauthorized" is doubtful, unless you were truly providing stickers significantly better than others, in which case you were adding enough value to the consumers of your stickers to warrant their production.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Really, don't know why some of you don't understand that this was for profit. They were making a profit, it was an illegal business.

Some people have this crazy notion that not all laws are valid.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
I guess I need to ask: What's the difference between this and making doujins? I don't understand why that's legal, and this isn't.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
That may not really legal with newer laws, but there's still precedent for allowing it and there would be outrage if they stopped it due to that precedent. This doesn't mean at some point they won't find an excuse to change that. I'm sure you know such things aren't allowed in the US.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and cease and desist letters are simply ways to notify a party that what they are doing is undesired.

Mhh, you are not required (by the law) to bath regularly, but you will have a hard time finding someone that does not think it is good etiquette to do so. In the prior example, they would have saved public law enforcement time and money if they had sent the C&D letter and would have prevented any further copyright infrigment (which is supposedly the reason of all the ruckus) since you would have to be insane to continue printing said stickers after being told to stop.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
some guy in a car with stickers is free advertisement for the brand. It shows how much a fan liked the show. I think they would like a payment and keep selling the car stickers world wide to promote the brand but no one ever said people were smart about things.

Sigh,
Goggen

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why some people have a problem with this. Think about it: When someone buys an unlicensed K-On! car sticker, they're not only giving money to criminals, they're also probably not buying the legit K-On! car stickers that probably exist somewhere.

Purveyers of illegal merchandise are, in a sense, competitors to the real thing, and thus the copyright owners lose money on their existance.

Doujinshi works, while often vile in content, have no officially sanctioned equivalent, and are probably produced in low quantities, so they simply aren't enough of a threat to the copyright owners' interests for them to want to go after them (everything costs money, after all).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I guess I need to ask: What's the difference between this and making doujins? I don't understand why that's legal, and this isn't.

Well for one thing, doujinshi actually require some talent since it's all original art from the artist. They draw each page and picture in them, while these were just them taking official art from the website or something and slapping them on stickers with no creative input from the seller at all. Not to mention I'm sure K-ON stickers exist out there already, which are not being bought if these are.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

See my reply here
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Yeah, seriously, their priorities are screwed up. Honestly, from some of the sick K-On! doujins that scrape the bottom of morality's barrel that I've run into, I'd rather them crack down on that demographic than people who want to ride around with fan-made bumper stickers. I'm a huge otaku, but anime studios and their rights' holders have historically had the most idiotic and objective approach to copyright violators. There's something blatantly wrong when you can sell a comic with a character getting tortured and raped, yet you can't make an innocent bumper sticker. For shame.
You know what's really sick? When artists can't draw whatever they damn well please in an age where democracy is at risk of being trumped by extreme capitalism. I'd say Japan's priorities are just fine: Steal someone else's creation and try to make money off of it... Bonk! Big No No. Create derivative fan works of an existing creation to further free expression and reflect on the appreciation toward the original creator... A-OK.

Cracking down on doujinshi because of the often sexual nature and content of it isn't even really on anyone's radar. The fervor over implications of unauthorized IP reproduction will always trump your so called "morality's barrel" which is really more of a western concept that reeks of xenophobic superiority that's been imposed on Asian society throughout history.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
v1cious wrote:

See my reply here

That theory kind of goes out the window when you have big corperate sites dedicated entirely to doujinshi and other fan works. And with digital distribution, there is no upkeep so it's a direct profit from the thousands of sales they receive from the online market. And that's before factoring in the Comiket and other convention sales.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Megiddo wrote:
See my reply here

zalas wrote:
Furthermore, as Touhou creator ZUN had put it, derivative works such as doujinshi definitely constitute copyright infringement

I'll admit that I don't know the state of Japanese law on these subjects, but in the US, neither of these statements would be correct.

Copyright infringment requires that you make an unauthorized copy of an existing copyrighted work. The people being prosecuted in the current case clearly did so, making their actions a case of copyright infringement. Drawing pictures of existing characters as doujinshi authors do is not a case of copyright infringement because there's no existing work being copied. In some cases like Hello Kitty, characters are trademarked, so that drawing a character that looks like Kitty could constitute trademark infringment. In the US this requires that a court rule that the reproduction is sufficiently similar to the original as to cause confusion in the minds of consumers. Trademarking is common for characters like Kitty or the Pokemon, where much of the revenues they generate come from licensed uses like toys, backpacks, and the like. I doubt trademarking is used very often to protect the designs of manga or anime characters.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Copyright infringment requires that you make an unauthorized copy of an existing copyrighted work.

Incorrect...

"According to current United States copyright, copyright owners have the exclusive right "to prepare derivative works based upon [their] copyrighted work."[4] A derivative work is any work, including fanfiction based upon one or more preexisting works."

It's not just the existing work, but derivatives as well that are disallowed under current US law, and it's not due to trademark law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_with_fan_fiction
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
This is just bullshit...this basically makes Itasha illegal...what the hell?

If this is not illegal, then i will make k-on, anime, and American cartoon stickers right now. Pretty much free money. I don't have to hire art designer or paid loyalty. Just print and sell.

It's hardly such a simple thing as what you would make out here, there are costs of production and once you could do this everyone else could do the same thing, so why would they go pay for yours rather than someone elses? You'd also likely need to start promoting your stickers in some fashion and the likelihood you could keep popularity once the producers of the show said that you were "unauthorized" is doubtful, unless you were truly providing stickers significantly better than others, in which case you were adding enough value to the consumers of your stickers to warrant their production.

how do you know people don't buy the one that i make it? Make it legal for me to make them first. If i can't make money, someone will money since most people in here think it should be legal.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Whats even more perplexing given the property in question, is why the IP holders never thought about this in the first place? K-ON is like printing money!!
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
So who in hear thinks its a good idea to have a decal of Mai Shiranui on the hood of my car. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4