• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Fruit of Grisaia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's because I already saw the scene of the cat dying in the novel already or is it because the production quality cut so much out of Michiru's story but it's death wasn't as tragic in the novel. I almost started crying after that scene in the novel but in the anime I didn't feel anything.
For me the anime is worth for two things only - give you a short preview on what the novel has to offer and give you the chane to see the characters in their full animated glory not just static images.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
It was a bit rougher on me - though I know a bit about the VN, and how much harder it would have been if they had added all the detail about the cat - it didn't help matters that I had my cat asleep in my lap while watching the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Pacific

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Yuuji's speech pattern isn't surprising, his bearing reeks of irreverent formality. Regardless, “waken” wasn’t used in this episode and “liken” is hardly archaic—at worst it’s lazy translation. Now if “similitude” had been used I might’ve agreed with you. And “osculate,” though uncommon, is hardly rare. If you can’t liken its humorous meaning to the math term, you should still know it as a staple of the snooty character type’s argot. Try accessing the current Oxford English Dictionary, which shows usage well past "1670" and into the 21st century, not some archaic edition.

As to the felicide, (Razzie for Meowmel?) if its paper thin backstory merits the waterworks, then please watch Old Yeller, because I have an aquifer that needs refilling.

I’ll watch the next episode just to complete the arc, but I seriously doubt the show will pull a rabbit out of, let alone put a cat in, its hat.

Godaistudios wrote:
It was a bit rougher on me ... it didn't help matters that I had my cat asleep in my lap while watching the episode.

That I buy. After all, a pussy on the lap is worth two on the tube. Wink

Postscript:
I rewatched the episode with a fansub and realized that "osculate" is wrong for Yuuji, not because it's formal, but because it's unnecessarily obtuse. I originally thought he was testing Michiru to identify which personality was active, but I now see that interpretation doesn't fit the context. Now the fansub instead uses the "first base" metaphor, which is characteristically polite and also brings out the humor from the Japanese script.

I was hoping a future Blu-ray or dub release would polish this turd—I mean script. Witty dialogue can sometimes be enough to save a show from lazy plotting, but after watching the trope-tastic Episode 5, I can now regrettably infer that will not be the case for Grisaia. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Pacific on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ceasol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
The animation looks like studio Shaft is behind anyone notice? AKIO Watanabe (Monogatari, etc) is behind the character desing but still everything looks to me very "Shafted", no conplains though.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
ceasol wrote:
The animation looks like studio Shaft is behind anyone notice? AKIO Watanabe (Monogatari, etc) is behind the character desing but still everything looks to me very "Shafted", no conplains though.

He's not only the character designer, but also the chief animation director (also his other same position in monogatari series). Guess it's got something to do with it.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd give it higher than a B, but that's just how I see it. Though I am biased in my love of the VN.

The way the show is going, we are definitely going to go through every girls arc. Sachi and Amane's arcs are much more tame than Makina and Yumiko, so I really wonder how much time they are going to allocate. MY biggest wonder is will they just treat the coming arcs as if the Michiru end never happened, or will they include these developments going forward? I guess we have to wait and see.
havoc764

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
I'd give it higher than a B, but that's just how I see it. Though I am biased in my love of the VN.

The way the show is going, we are definitely going to go through every girls arc. Sachi and Amane's arcs are much more tame than Makina and Yumiko, so I really wonder how much time they are going to allocate. MY biggest wonder is will they just treat the coming arcs as if the Michiru end never happened, or will they include these developments going forward? I guess we have to wait and see.

Amane's arc tame?
Are you out of your mind?
Amane's arc was probably the least tame of them all bar mayby the arc of the pipsquek.

Altough yuij actions are pretty tame in those arcs.
thaivuN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
MY biggest wonder is will they just treat the coming arcs as if the Michiru end never happened, or will they include these developments going forward? I guess we have to wait and see.

It really depends if there's any plan for anime sequels (Meikyuu and Rakuen). From what I understand, Rakuen is set in a timeline where spoiler[Yuji conquers the harem route]. So it wouldn't surprise me if the anime for Kajitsu connects all routes together.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
havoc764 wrote:
bobob101 wrote:

Amane's arc tame?
Are you out of your mind?
Amane's arc was probably the least tame of them all bar mayby the arc of the pipsquek.

Altough yuij actions are pretty tame in those arcs.

Yeah, I was referring to the role Yuji plays in Amane's arc. Since both Makina and Yumiko involve Yuji picking a fight with people who would kill him
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Thought I'd comment on the review and the anime, but it looks like this discussion is for the visual novel, so I'll look elsewhere.
martinic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
Ok to clear things up:
1. The girl who killed herself and the one who had her heart transplanted into Michiru are completely diffrent people.
2. Yuuji doesn't get arrested because he tricks everyone into thinking Michiru died, though it's a scene the anime skipped and because he has come "connections"
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Thought I'd comment on the review and the anime, but it looks like this discussion is for the visual novel, so I'll look elsewhere.

Erm, yeah, I too hope the vn discussion is being kept to a minimum in this thread.

So about eps 5, I agree it feels too rushed. I feel like that I should be able to sympathize more with Michiru, but this episode only managed to only make me follow the plot, just as long as I understand what's going on. It's really too bad since Michiru is supposed to be my favorite.
DLH112

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
martinic wrote:

2. Yuuji doesn't get arrested because he tricks everyone into thinking Michiru died, though it's a scene the anime skipped and because he has come "connections"

I was looking forward to that scene and really disappointed when i realized they skipped it. I feel like its emotionally one of the most important scenes. Michiru is always thinking how she doesn't want to lose anymore of her friends and then she can hear everyone completely break down crying and stuff because they think she's dead, reversing the roles/making michiru realize stuff.

the episode was good, but rushed. I really hope the other routes get more than 2 episodes, because I don't think michiru's was one of the longer ones and it was already really rushed.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
I have not yet read the VN yet but I sure will now. because this was obviously rushed.

I did wonder if it was the friend as well for a second but then I figured it probably wasn't quite quickly since she got the transplant in america. also they show a sign for interstate 12 are in the desert and the mother picks her out as being japanese. all signs they are in the US.

I personally don't find his tactics out of character or at the very least not wholly unreasonable. For two major reasons A) he knew she really wanted to live, it was never a question to him if she did or not. that is why he force feed green eyes candy to test if he really did want to or not.

second when someone is that far gone the only person who can break their shell is themselves. so forcing her to do it herself by giving her exactly what she wanted, was actually rather smart in my opinion. After all he is not the first person to use that tactic in anime and probably won't be the last (izuhya does in episode 2 of durarara). Also he was their with her the whole time and had obviously rigged the thing to keep her safe while making her think that she was burred alive. For example at first I thought 3 days was a translation since unless he piped in air then she would not survive but she did so he must have.
DLH112

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
wtf episode 6. it wasn't the VN route at all from what i remember, and it was an entire route in 1 episode.spoiler[I guess because they are avoiding the relationships they couldn't do the large part where they run away together and go to the amusement park at the end before she actually decides to make up with her father?]hopefully it just means more episodes for Amane's route later.
Obviously, since it's based on a VN, each girl has their own path and in each one he helps resolve the issues they have. Pretty sure that's 99% VNs with a harem type setting. so I don't see the complaint with that. Unless you mean/think that Yuuji was only sent to mihama for plot convenience/to help the girls, and not because he has his own reasons for being there? spoiler[i'm like 90% sure he does, but i forget exactly what they are/it's not fully explained until the sequels]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5