• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KLab Addresses Love Live! App English Translation Complaints in Statement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
I see. I mean I really don't think Love Live is actually yuri. Any girl/girl stuff seems playful at best, fanservice for male viewers at worst.

I think it's wrong to reject the idea of bi ladies or lesbians liking the show. To pin down girl/girl stuff as "For male viewers" is incredibly small minded.

You know, forbid a show with bi lady or lesbian characters being enjoyed by bi ladies or lesbians. That would never happen.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
if the characters speak Japanese with audio in the game, did the translators actually think they could get away with the omissions.
did they think no one knew both JPN and ENG
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
In Japanese, it's much easier to write things as being gender neutral, as you can just leave out pronouns most of the time, whereas in English, it's much harder to leave out he/she. Just putting that out there. Nonetheless, making the player male in an all girls' school is stupid.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
I want to know why specifically they translated certain things the way they did. I question the accusation of homophobia, really. If that truly were the case, then I would think they would remove more, or all of it. I want more information before slinging such accusations at anyone. Really the whole thing seems more strange than KLab being part of some sort of giant conspiracy against homosexuals.spoiler[ Or a Christian Nazi Company as one of the Facebook comments said Rolling Eyes.]

Kitsunelaine wrote:
I think it's wrong to reject the idea of bi ladies or lesbians liking the show. To pin down girl/girl stuff as "For male viewers" is incredibly small minded.

You know, forbid a show with bi lady or lesbian characters being enjoyed by bi ladies or lesbians. That would never happen.

Except he didn't...he just said he didn't think the show was yuri, and that most of the "yuriness" was just playful teasing and such, like K-ON or something, not something seriously meant to be this LGBT pride show. That doesn't stop anyone for liking the show. I don't think the show is offensive in what it does personally. In addition, none of the character's sexuality is more than just hinted at. There is nothing explicitly stated as far as I know. As I said, it's all teasing. This seems like an overreaction to his comment, to say the least.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
not something seriously meant to be this LGBT pride show.

So... They can't have a show they enjoy unless it's flowery and overt about it? Otherwise any girl/girl stuff is just "Fanservice for males"? C'mon, dude.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
Kitsunelaine wrote:
Foxaika wrote:

So... They can't have a show they enjoy unless it's flowery and overt about it? Otherwise any girl/girl stuff is just "Fanservice for males"? C'mon, dude.

That's not at all what I am saying. My point is that the show, as far as I know, isn't meant to be that. Fans can have whatever ideas they want about the characters, but at the end of the day, the source material is as I said: hinting and teasing. I'm not(and I don't think garlogan78 was either) saying it's just fanservice for males(though I don't think it's completely wrong to say that's part of it), but it isn't anything deep or serious beyond the aforementioned teasing. Honestly I am not sure what's wrong with this viewpoint. I don't recall anything from my viewings of the show that suggests much more than what I've said here.

Last edited by Foxaika on Sun May 24, 2015 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
Kitsunelaine wrote:
Foxaika wrote:

That's not at all what I am saying. My point is that the show, as far as I know, isn't meant to be that.

Nobody here said that it is.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
The whole series is supposed to be fun and judging by it's success it seems have hit it's target.

Sad part is that whoever at KLab US is in charge of PR is not having a fun Memorial Day weekend. Likely they are dreading Tuesday morning. Shocked

Mark Gosdin
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
Kitsunelaine wrote:

Nobody here is saying that.

So what's your contention? You complained about garlogan78 for saying the exact same thing. Unless your contention was with the other parts of your post, which were things he didn't say.

Such as:
Kitsunelaine wrote:

What he actually said:

garlogan78 wrote:
I see. I mean I really don't think Love Live is actually yuri. Any girl/girl stuff seems playful at best, fanservice for male viewers at worst.

He never said anything about bisexual woman or lesbians liking the show, nor did he say it was only for male viewers. He just said it seemed like it was just teasing, and potentially fanservice for male viewers at worst. He didn't say it was just fanservice for males period. There's a distinction there.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
What happened in Sailor Moon with Uranus and Neptune, was censoring due to fear of homophobia etc. They were clearly a canon lesbian couple, and were changed in the US to cousins, which of course is deliciously ironic as between Japan and the US, I would think the US is the more LBGT friendly country.

But this is not the case here, this just another cases where rabid fanon have their yuri goggles turned to the max, and construe some yuri where at worst there is none and at best it is a stretch. I can't tell how many shows there are where the fandom pull this kind of stunt, even when its as explicit as possible that its not the case. Its gotten to the point if two males or females exist in a show, they are viewed as gay/lesbian until proven otherwise, and even then when an author outright states its not the case, they think the author has lost their mind, and they no better [I cant think of a better example than Duo and Hero].

I mean the statement made makes it as unbearable clear without flat out spelling it out, that some people are misconstruing certain things about this particular show. As pro LBGT as the US is, and as easily and quick to yuri bait Japanese shows are, there is almost no reason whatsoever for them to make that statement unless the powers that be have explicit stated it as such. A US company is going to censor loli in a game or anime, whenever possible due to percieved backlash, they will censor incest as well [drakengard], but that is not happening with the LBGT.

I personally don't care if characters are gay or not, but I just get tired of these ravings yuri obsessed fanatics that see something that is not there.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So what's your contention?

You can just say "I don't see the problem with the blatant removal of LGBT text from a game and the developers trying to whitewash it".

It doesn't have to be some sort of grand "Pride piece" for it to be a shitty practice, you know.

Also, on "At worst"-- they weren't implying the "For male viewers" was the bad thing. In fact the implication that the girl/girl fanservice existed specifically for men was pretty explicit.

Done arguing about this.

Last edited by Kitsunelaine on Sun May 24, 2015 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Kitsunelaine wrote:
Quote:
So what's your contention?

You can just say "I don't see the problem with the blatant removal of LGBT text from a game and the developers trying to whitewash it".

It doesn't have to be some sort of grand "Pride piece" for it to be a shitty practice, you know.

But no one said "I don't see the problem with the blatant removal of LGBT text from a game and the developers trying to whitewash it". I don't even know who you are responding to with this. I certainly didn't say that, and I don't think the other comment you responded to did(or even implied it). And once again, the text is mostly hinting and teasing. I'm not sure I would call it "LGBT text" though admittedly that isn't all that relevant at the end of the day(and isn't quite black or white).

Edit: I don't read his comment the way you do I suppose. I didn't get that intuition at all. To me it seemed like he was implying that it was bad because it was just fanservice pandering. Not because it was towards males, no, but because it's simply fetishizing what's go on. I could be wrong, I suppose, but I find your interpretation to be more of a stretch, to be honest.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't even know who you are responding to with this.

All of your posts in this thread have been about how you don't think it's LGBT (like somehow ladies flirting with each other isn't gay at all) and that if it is "It's not some pride piece, I don't see the issue...".
Quote:
To me it seemed like he was implying that it was bad because it was just fanservice pandering.

The idea that girl/girl media is explicitly for boys is incredibly common. If their condemnation was over the fanservice itself, there would be no reason to specify "For males".

Seriously, though. Done now.

Last edited by Kitsunelaine on Sun May 24, 2015 4:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Actar

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
This reminds me about the case where the line of "Pokemon marrying humans" was removed in the English version of Diamond and Pearl. Are those in the West just that more conservative and/or sensitive?
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
Fact 1: Love Live! is not yuri.
Fact 2: Love Live School Idol Festival's English translation retains much of the "not-so-subtle lesbianism jokes" that the original game has.
Fact 3: Love Live School Idol Festival is dubbed, at least where the main cast is concerned, so they couldn't really get away with much censorship anyway.

As someone who has played through much of the English version of the game, I have personally experienced (and been made uncomfortable by) more than my fair share of "skinship" jokes. Now maybe they may have altered a scene or two in order to more easily translate a joke or something, what the pluck ever. Sure, half of the game is literally fanservice, but let's face it: your lesbian ships are not as important as you think they are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5