• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Utawarerumono DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
0utf0xZer0 wrote:
Also, why did they use the name "Eluluu"? I know there's the whole thing with l and r in Japanese, but I remember the name fairly clearly being pronounced with r's.

Clearly being pronounced with r's? That's a funny thing to say, because in Japanese, whether it was intended to be an L or an R, it ends up getting pronounced the same anyway. Still, though, ADV's decision to spell Eruru with an L and Aruru with an R strikes me as odd as well. I'd like to know their reason for doing this. I sincerely hope it's a better reason than "eru" reminding of L in the alphabet and "aru" reminding of R!
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Clearly being pronounced with r's? That's a funny thing to say, because in Japanese, whether it was intended to be an L or an R, it ends up getting pronounced the same anyway.

No, actually, the Japanese can and usually do pronounce both "l" and all versions of "r" - it's just that it they don't differentiate between the two sounds.

I also find it weird that Eruruu's name is spelled with L... Maybe they were trying to help people not to mix up the two names?
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
No, actually, the Japanese can and usually do pronounce both "l" and all versions of "r" - it's just that it they don't differentiate between the two sounds.

The end result is the same. Whether the character's name was intended to be "Eruru", "Elulu" or even "Erulu", chances are they would have pronounced it the same anyway.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
I like this decision. It helps differentiate between the girls since their names are so bloody similar. One of the problems I had when I was watching this before the official release was getting the two "daughters" confused.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No. Scrapped Princess has very prominent magical elements and is very distinctly a swords-and-sorcery fantasy despite its weightier context. Utaware (at least so far) isn't like that at all. That makes a big difference.

Ultimately, though, the type of fantasy each one is ends up being minor compared to the rest of the similarities at work. Scrapped Princess and Utawarerumono both are distinctly anime-esque, slightly trashy, comedy-fantasy blends involving a lead with an unknown, cursed past, and a fantasy setting spoiler[that's ultimately revealed to be futuristic and post-apocalyptic.] Twelve Kingdoms, on the other hand, is a deadly-serious, not so anime-clichéd story about a displaced girl and the political maneuvering that goes on around her, loaded to the back teeth with faux-historical and faux-political backstory. It was this basic story construction that Neg was getting at.

On the target audience end of things, though, I disagree with both comparisons and argue that it is actually Utawarerumono that's the odd man out. Scrapped Princess and Twelve Kingdoms both got their start as seinin novels (Scrapped Princess being on the light novel side, Twelve Kingdoms being the heavier, headier stuff), while Utawarerumono originated as an ecchi strategy game, more akin to Brave Soul (which, incidentally, featured artwork by the same artist who illustrated the Scrapped Princess novels and provided the original character designs).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Ultimately, though, the type of fantasy each one is ends up being minor compared to the rest of the similarities at work. Scrapped Princess and Utawarerumono both are distinctly anime-esque, slightly trashy, comedy-fantasy blends involving a lead with an unknown, cursed past, and a fantasy setting spoiler[that's ultimately revealed to be futuristic and post-apocalyptic.] Twelve Kingdoms, on the other hand, is a deadly-serious, not so anime-clichéd story about a displaced girl and the political maneuvering that goes on around her, loaded to the back teeth with faux-historical and faux-political backstory. It was this basic story construction that Neg was getting at.

I can buy the rest of it, but the part I put in bold certainly doesn't apply to Pacifica in Scrapped Princess. (She's not actually cursed, and her past isn't unknown.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

I can buy the rest of it, but the part I put in bold certainly doesn't apply to Pacifica in Scrapped Princess. (She's not actually cursed, and her past isn't unknown.)

That's a bit of a spoiler, you know.

Pacifica's brought up with everyone saying that she's cursed to destroy the world when she turns 16. It's not really relevant if she is or not. Additionally no one knows anything about her at first, least of all herself.

By the same token, Hakuoro isn't cursed and he does eventually get his memory back.

It's all beside the point, though, which was that comparing Utaware and Twelve Kingdoms against each other is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Even though they arguably contain a few similar elements, Twelve Kingdoms is orders of magnitude better, especially in terms of the quality of the world-building that's gone into it. Utaware is, at its core, a reasonably good Strategy RPG / Hentai hybrid, and while the anime is a good adaption, it has trouble shaking that pedigree.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
Utaware is, at its core, a reasonably good Strategy RPG / Hentai hybrid, and while the anime is a good adaption, it has trouble shaking that pedigree.

I think Utaware did a pretty good job shaking off its hentai qualities. As for the strategy RPG bit, I watched the series before I even knew there was a game and didn't find any particular writing flaws… Not that I see many similarities between it and Twelve Kingdoms. Also, the two are too different, in my opinion, to compare in terms of quality.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:

I think Utaware did a pretty good job shaking off its hentai qualities. As for the strategy RPG bit, I watched the series before I even knew there was a game and didn't find any particular writing flaws… Not that I see many similarities between it and Twelve Kingdoms. Also, the two are too different, in my opinion, to compare in terms of quality.

I had no idea that the series was based off the game until I read the interview that was included in the liner notes. The scene with the breast feeding joke actually took me a bit by surprise since the rest of the DVD feels most age appropriate. This series seems to be shaking off it's hentai roots (judging from volume 1) at least as well as Fate/Stay Night.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2