• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Star Austin St. John Charged on Suspicion of Fraud Related to COVID-19 Loans

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, obviously. I'm only asking for people to not make fun of something serious that could cause people to lose their jobs.

Are you Austin St. John...?

Obviously not.
Will I risk it all for a dead overdone meme? Yes, yes indeed.

SUS
Vent

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:12 pm Reply with quote
For Austin St. John to lose his job he'd have to have one to begin with.

Unless we're considering "wire fraud" as employment.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
For Austin St. John to lose his job he'd have to have one to begin with.

Unless we're considering "wire fraud" as employment.

We should have bought those pops...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:59 am Reply with quote
I don't want to be one of those "separate the art from the artist" people but also like at this point half the cast of the Power Rangers franchise across multiple seasons seem to either have terrible allegations against them or they're kind of awful and egotistical for being in a 30 year old kid's show once that's long past it's prime that I'm pretty much numb to any negative news about the cast, and I say this as a Power Rangers fan. I just try to remember the positive memories the show gave me with friends and family who I enjoyed Power Rangers with over the years. My love of Power Rangers was always about those bonds and memories and not these famous people I don't know. But I'm just not phased by any negative news that comes out about the actors' personal lives anymore.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't want to be one of those "separate the art from the artist" people but also like at this point half the cast of the Power Rangers franchise across multiple seasons seem to either have terrible allegations against them or they're kind of awful and egotistical for being in a 30 year old kid's show once that's long past it's prime that I'm pretty much numb to any negative news about the cast, and I say this as a Power Rangers fan. I just try to remember the positive memories the show gave me with friends and family who I enjoyed Power Rangers with over the years. My love of Power Rangers was always about those bonds and memories and not these famous people I don't know. But I'm just not phased by any negative news that comes out about the actors' personal lives anymore.

Probably a good perspective to have.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey look on the brightside.
At least now he has the money to pay the legal fees and fines. Good ol' PPP at work. The government givith and taketh.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I think it is perfectly reasonable to boycott/refuse to support someone going forward, including convention appearances and any shows they may dub. At the same time retain any shows or other merchandise specific to the character played, or to purchase remaining store stock or third party sales of stuff that has been out of print. The older stuff doesn't give money or support to someone you cannot abide.

To be honest, I've never seen the point in getting to into the lives of the performers or content creators who make the material I enjoy. As far as I'm concerned the work stands alone. If it is OK then I don't care about the creator.
adamfriedman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:17 am Reply with quote
I'll just say one thing: you're not guilty unless you're proven guilty. However, federal loan fraud is one of those crimes when there is almost little doubt about who is guilty. A fraud case involving instant guaranteed loans involves real evidence, such as receipts, contracts, and bills, unlike murder prosecutions, which rely on forensic research, which is replete with fraudulent junk science.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2