• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Voice Actress to Appear at Naruto/Star Trek Convention

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AExAVF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm neither a fan of Naruto or Star Trek, so I can say that this cross-over is rather irreconciliable, if not completely outrageous. Naruto has ninja and other mystical themes, Star Trek has science fiction themes.

I'd rather see a Gundam/Star Ocean/Star Trek convention, since at least these have common sci-fi themes.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
You are not a fan of either, so you are really not in a position to call something irreconcilable. If it were actually irreconcilable, someone who likes both would not exist, and well I can tell you from personal experience that they do exist.
Ladymage Samiko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
AExAVF wrote:
I'd rather see a Gundam/Star Ocean/Star Trek convention, since at least these have common sci-fi themes.

Ditto. Even FMA or Cowboy Bebop would cross over more gracefully. The only reason I can think of to add Naruto to the mix is that it has a significantly sized fanbase. (Which, btb, doesn't include me.)

I get the feeling that unless they can come up with some extraordinarily amazing guest, the Trekkies (Trekkers, whatever) are going to regard this in the same light as we seem to. The ones I know are a lot more prickly about 'debasing' their fandom than Narutors.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I always figured (or at least hoped) that Naruto was more of a fad than a fandom. The way I see it, it'll sort of repeat the eventual wane in popularity DBZ received either due to age or peaked interest in other action series. There will always be a small handful of faithful fans, sure, but nowhere near the size of the series at it's peak. That my just be wishful thinking though.

Star Trek on the other hand has a long history and a large, faithful fanbase which is much larger than Naruto's is even now. I'd estimate there's at least 4 trekkies for every narutard.

I agree that this is a really bad idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Walker-san

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can say this:

Seeing a cosplayer dressed up as Mr. Spock with an orange track suit will be win.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen anyone under 30 who is a fan of Star Trek. And I doubt that anyone who is a Naruto fan is everwhere near that age bracket. This is like putting water and oil together. The two things obviously don't mix.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone under 30 who is a fan of Star Trek.

I attended my first Star Trek convention when I was 10 years old. I'm 30 now, but if I were still a child I would no doubt be enamoured with Naruto AND Star Trek, and probably wouldn't see why it was such a shock to have the two together in one place.

I agree that this convention sounds ridiculous, but I have to defend the idea that there just might be crossover fans, because I love science fiction and anime, and I find no contradiction in that fact.

Choosing a specific anime series, even if it is the most popular and high profile one at the moment, to be the crossover point between Trek and anime is a bit silly though. Confused
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks this actually might be a clever idea? Either I'm suffering another bought of madness or that old positive outlook of mine is coming back to haunt me. Either way, I think there's some potential good things here.

Besides, no one's going to know how the whole thing turns out until it happens. The very fact that it seems like such a hugh mismatch might actually make it successful. Lots of people are going to be going "what the hell? This I've got to see."

And like I said, if a few deep-pocketed Star Trek fans end up getting interested in anime, it only helps us all.
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I haven't seen anyone under 30 who is a fan of Star Trek. And I doubt that anyone who is a Naruto fan is everwhere near that age bracket. This is like putting water and oil together. The two things obviously don't mix.

Ouch! I'm a fan of Star Trek, and I'm in college so there are people under 30 who are fans of Star Trek. One of my friends in high school recorded and watched every episode that was shown on tv, and every couple of weekends he'd marathon them.

While I may not like Naruto (at all), there are people who do, and out of those people, it is not unreasonable to think that (shocking) some may like Star Trek, and it's rather annoying to have people say that there is no way these groups could possibly go together.

They are an odd combination, and one that isn't for me, but generalizations are sad and make puppies cry. Do you want to make puppies cry cause I know I sure don't.

Richard J. wrote:
And like I said, if a few deep-pocketed Star Trek fans end up getting interested in anime, it only helps us all.

and makes the fandom crazier than it already is. That has its pros and cons, but people overall fascinate me as it is, when there's more, I'm in heaven just from watching their interactions. Ah life~
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Guess it'll be easier to get rid of all of them at once. :p

(I'm joking, of course.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Paramount probably bribed Viz with free tixx to the new Abrams film.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
This makes about much sense has a Metal Gear Solid/Avatar con dose.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Kenji_Ikari wrote:
Guess it'll be easier to get rid of all of them at once.
Nah, Star Trek fans and Naruto fans are like tribbles. Too cute to kill.

Unless you're a Klingon. The rules are different for Klingons.

GATSU wrote:
Paramount probably threatened Viz with free tixx to the new Abrams film.
I fixed your post. Wink (Yeah, I'm not keen on the new film.)

Realizing his post has no redeeming value, Richard J. leaves to brood over this fact. And play The Sims 2. But the brooding will come first.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
tribbles.

Win.

In all seriousness though, I find this rather intriguing. Cross-overs always seem awkward at first, and some of them do fail. Others become video gaming franchises and spawn cosplay followings. Wink I haven't seen Star Trek or Naruto in awhile, but anything that brings in new anime fans (or maybe rekindles old fan flames) isn't necessarily bad.

Of course, if Junko Takeuchi or Patrick Stewart show up, this may become worth investigating in person...
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But aren't Star Trek fans generally quite a bit older than Naruto fans...?

My exact thoughts as well. A Star Trek/Anime crossover wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, but specifically Naruto doesn't sound too good. I was a huge Naruto fan when I was 13 or 14, but I outgrew it. I have a feeling a lot of people are like me in that area. Star Trek fans might have been a bit younger in the old days, but they're all grown up and older now and I haven't really heard of any of the younger generation getting into it.

Actually, considering the psychotic nature of Star Trek fans and the stupidity of Naruto fans... Shocked Somehow this idea is starting to sound dangerous Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5