• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AX Idol Stephanie Yanez Performs in Akihabara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
Good lord, there's so much jealousy in this thread I can TASTE it.

She accomplished something few non-Japanese will ever get to do. Good for her. No reason to be nasty about it.

Not all of us want to be big in Japan, you know. I don't believe people are jealous about her idol status (the entire industry borders on creepy) or about her singing talent (... questionable, I'll leave it at that). You only get one first impression, as they say...

However, it would be nice if there are more publicized performance opportunities for foreigner musicians in Japan, via Akiba clubs/cafes or street lives.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:

I'm not jealous at all. Heck, I'm male. :p

I'm just used to commenting on what I think of people's singing, and I also do a little of it myself (and suck at it.) Usually I only have positive comments, or point out slight problems I think need improvement...

I love Himeka's singing, for example, as well as quite a few other people from North America who sing in Japanese, both male and female.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not into idol stuffs, so I don't care much about this winner singing in Akihabara. The question is, will she able to break into mainstream entertainment industry in the future? I couldn't stand her singing cutesy idol song only adored by handful of geeks and eventually fade away.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

She accomplished something few non-Japanese will ever get to do. Good for her. No reason to be nasty about it.

...Ew?

I could definitely be jealous of Catherine St. Onge, who HAS talent-- her singing voice is great, she's cute, and she doesn't try for this wannabe weeaboo chick image (KAWAII! DAISUKI! orz). But Yanez? Please, leave the Japanese for people who can actually speak it instead of trying and failing to sound like an anime character. It's worse than parodies of gaijin.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:

Just because people are criticizing her, doesn't mean they're jealous. People are allowed to critique people/performances/things. There are entire industries built from such things.

Also, she's putting herself out there, so receiving criticism is something that is to be expected.

Everyone's just keepin' it real, dawg.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I guess I was the only one here who didn't find her singing to be that horribly bad. I mean, I didn't really find her voice to stand out, pretty generic imo, but I didn't find it annoying (well considering what I usually listen to I suppose I'm kind of desensitized to high pitched Japanese vocals, or rather, I enjoy them). I have heard American voices "trying too hard" to be cute, but I didn't find this to be one of them. Actually, there's a number of popular American dub voice actresses I find to be much more guilty of that...

Also, lol @ the one lone guy doing otagei in the audience.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:

We're jealous because we're criticizing her? That's always funny. As soon as someone dislikes something, it's ALWAYS the person in question who has a problem.

She has an average singing voice and is quite full of herself. Seriously, if you can dig up her 'anime selects' videos on youtube, just watch the self satisfied behavior...

Rather than having some joe schmoe anime fan be sent to japan like in the first contest they did, they sent someone they thought might be easier... Or at least, that's my best guess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quote
But don't most Japanese idols are like this? Laughing
(Yeah, that's intentionally gramatically incorrect.)
koku jin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Dont worry stephanie!! And you people who leave such hurtful comments. I guess you obviously cant be stopped, but if you have time to ridicule & criticize Stephanie's works & accomplishments you should be more productive w/ that time! Like..

Stephanie you're doing GREAT! Like Katt Williams said, "if you didn't have haters you wouldn't be doing your job, so let them do what they do best..hate!" Use their negativity & change it into possitivity..as corny & cliche' as that sounds..lol!
pixiedust_lulu27

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Come on now, lets not be so mean. I met Stephanie at the Ani-Jam and she is the sweetest person. I love her cd and think its great that she's doing something that she loves.
davidluv2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
she was great and all who other wise well u suck because at the end of the day she will be the famous artist with lots of fans and $$$$ so ha^^ luv u stephanie ^^
sayori

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
Well I can't say you guys to stop criticizing you guys do have the right to do that and have your own opinion

Now here's my opinion
I honestly love Stephanie
she has a passion to sing that is what all artist need to have well to be artist

The fact that she's going out there to show her talent is great
she's gains fans for that
You're guys' criticism shows that you are not fans of her
I'm pretty sure that's okay because she does have her fans
You guys just happen not to be one of them.

I've met Stephanie before and she is such a nice and sweet person
Even if you one of those people that happen to not like her
I'm pretty she she'll still be nice to you ^^
That's one of the reasons I love her
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Wow, trolls.

First of all, these aren't hurtful comments. Of course I'd expect retarded posts like the past few posts above me.

- First of all, how "nice" and "pretty" she is doesn't constitute good or bad singing, so everyone who's saying that should really check the reality of the situation. Go watch American Idol Rewind.

- That aside, I only was able to watch one clip of the show (Moonlight Densetsu). I found her voice okay. However,I did think of it as the "generic" high pitched voice, which is what I didn't like about it. To me, her voice was slightly annoying too. But, there was some parts that were pleasant, most weren't. I just kind of wished that it was more original, and sadly, I didn't see that. Oh well, if that's what they like in Japan, to each his/her own.

- Fans/No Fans don't mean sh*t. In fact, some hardcore fans are a lot worse than non-fans, next to that, you can be a fan by other ways, but that doesn't mean you have to like her music. Anime hyper

- And people complaining about us "Wasting time to post about this." Please think about the time you wasted just to register to ANN and then post to this specific thread and chastise us for being "mean."

In other words, if I think she SUCKS, then I'm not wrong. If you think she's OMFG AWESOME, then you're not wrong. In fact, there is no right or wrong, so us "haters" really don't have reasoning to be jealous of this chick.

Seriously....hypocrites.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
My god, they're right. I'm so jealous of Stephanie Yanez.

So, so jealous.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
koku jin wrote:
don't worry stephanie!! And you people who leave such hurtful comments. I guess you obviously can't be stopped, but if you have time to ridicule & criticize Stephanie's works & accomplishments you should be more productive w/ that time! Like..

Says the guy spending his time defending an internet "idol."

I'm just curious why an English speaker is singing her English lyrics with an Engrishy accent. That's all I want to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3