• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
since they showed the spoiler[kurokami phantom] in the op im guessing we will get to HIM afterall whether or not people stick around long enough remains to be seen. i kinda expected medaka box to get 3's on ANN so far since i only thought the first half was only decent but i'll still watch the anime when i get the chance. also will the preview guide cover hyouka and akb since they air like a week or two after everything else?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
There's no simulcast for Lupin, is there? I'm a little surprised Zac watched it.

I'm not in all honesty zac is huge fan of the series so it's not a big surprise he watched it. My only question is this only seeing what aired on adult swim can I go into this newer series out being to lost?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm very interested in Medaka Box. GAINAX has never failed me before. I hope Funi or Sentai gets it later...
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Saffire wrote:
There's no simulcast for Lupin, is there? I'm a little surprised Zac watched it.

I'm not in all honesty zac is huge fan of the series so it's not a big surprise he watched it. My only question is this only seeing what aired on adult swim can I go into this newer series out being to lost?

Follow up question: as someone who has not seen any Lupin (I know old time anime fans are shaking their heads and muttering "kids these days" upon hearing that), would I be able to follow the new Lupin III?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why you wouldn't. It's not like Lupin is all that complex. The visual style may repel you though.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Medaka Box is getting a slightly warmer reception than I had expected. Predictions were pessimistic. I might consider watching it, but there's something I can't quite place about NisoOisin that just makes me very wary.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Saffire wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it's accessible. Lupin III is a pretty straightforward adventure series, there isn't really anything difficult to figure out in the premise. Lupin is a roguish thief, Jigen is a good shot, Goemon does cool stuff with a sword and Fujiko is a curvy sometimes rival, sometimes partner, sometimes love interest for Lupin; they commit crime. Inspector Zenigata is on a seemingly lifelong quest to capture Lupin, but tends not to succeed. It's a lot of fun, but it isn't rocket science.

I was really excited about Lupin III - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and now that Zac's trustworthy imprimatur has put what pessimistic fears I had to rest, but now I'm left disappointed that there is of yet no simulcast. I'll hold out hope that one will be arranged. I wonder if content is any impediment; given how Zac described it, I could imagine it being a little forbidding to censor or show unaltered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't see why you wouldn't. It's not like Lupin is all that complex. The visual style may repel you though.

That was my problem as someone who has never watched Lupin before... it just seems so ancient and I think that it'll only really appeal to people who were into older anime like that to begin with.

Not saying its really bad (though I couldn't finish the episode due to the art style), just not something I could get into.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
To think i actually thought that Sengoku Collection might be good because Keiji Gotoh was directing it.Huh silly me
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a 10 out of 5 for Sengoku! You've convinced me Zac to not bother watching it via Crunchyroll to avoid having a masterpiece of such high quality be slightly tarnished by streaming; I'm just going to preorder all of the blu-rays instead.

I love your previews so damn much.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
LOL! I love how Zac goes into fake fanboy mode over Sengoku Collection! I don't think I can handle so much sarcasm. Anime hyper

I'm honestly surprised that the new Lupin the Third isn't available for legal streaming. I'll still watch it though.

Polar Bear's Café was okay. Not laugh out loud funny but I did enjoy how Panda finally got a job. There might be more development for the other animals as well. I'll continue this series.

I'll think about watching Medaka Box since I'm not a die-hard Gainax fan but I'm genuinely curious. Same goes for Saint Seiya.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Oda Nobunaga is a sexy girl! In modern day Japan! Meets hapless boy! Oh God, it's gonna be so awesome! I'm totally checking this show out right now! Thank you Zac for this preview, you have a great taste in anime.
nonamexg18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac Bertschy, I've been a consistent reader of ANN since 2005 yet for some reason I've never felt compelled to join the forums. I came close around the time ANNcast started (no idea why). Reading the preview guide has always been fun and you're post on Sengoku Collection may just be the funniest satirical/reverse psychology-esque review I've read, very tongue-in-cheek (and I got me to finally jump in the pit so to speak). If the show is really that bad, I migh feel compelled to watch it just to see. BTW the new Lupin III was great but upon listening to both my girlfriend's and my cousin's reaction to Redline it did leave me considering their opinion that Koike treats women as mere sexualized/fetishized objects/caricatures in his works rather than actual characters. I still love Redline as an amazing piece of pop art, and will continue w/ the new Lupin but have you ever considered that whole criticism?

Also a rather scathing assessment of Redline here:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/demand/2012/03/elvis_fantasies_crotch_shots.html
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Sarcastic review aside, if Sengoku Collection is on the same level as Sengoku Otome last year (both shows look similar), I'll enjoy it. I don't get why every show has to be some deep show to enjoy it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd say it's more about not being banal. But if it works for you, then go for it!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac, were you ever a stand-up comedian or something similar?

You have a great sense of humor: the Sengoku Collection preview had me in stiches the whole way through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 69