• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Companies.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
JVC is one of Japan's industry giants. The English Wikipedia page for 日本ビクター gives the offical company name as 日本ビクター株式会社 (Nihon Bikutā Kabushiki-gaisha = Japan Victor Stock Corporation) or Victor Company of Japan, Limited.
In April 1972 Victor Music Industries, Inc. (ビクター音楽産業株式会社, Bikutā Ongaku Sangyō Kabushiki Kaisha) spun off as subsidiary of JVC.
In April 1993 Nihon AVC and Victor Music Industries merged and the name was changed to Victor Entertainment.
So all of this would most likely cover the following ANN company entries:

Easy Film (9 credits, Animation, Production, Photography) appears to be a Katakana misinterpretation of
E&G Film (2 credits, Paint, Production, website, Japanese Wikipedia entry for イージー・フイルム with company name E&G FILMS)
for at least the credits for Musashi Lord belong to イージー・フイルム instead of Easy Film, and Wikipedia has a long list of other projects for this company.

Lots of different romanizations for this one: (トランスアーツ)
TRANS-ARTS (1 credit, Photography)
Trans Art Co. (2 credits, Animation Production)
Trans Arts Co., (0 credits)
Trans Arts Co. (>50 credits including GitS SSS, website)
Transarts (8 credits, Animation Production, same website)
Trance Arts (5 credits including GitS SSS, Cooperation / In-Between Animation)
Trance Art Corporation (2 credits, Photography / In-Between Animation)
The Japanese Wikipedia page for トランス・アーツ gives a company name of "TRANS ARTS", the website gives a reading of "TransArts".

This one might be a candidate for a super merge operation:
Wombat (40 cast, In-Between Animation, including Eureka Seven, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam Seed, Naruto)
Studio Wombat (33 cast, In-Between Animation, including Eureka Seven, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam Seed, Bleach)
Studio Wonbat (17 cast, In-Between Animation, including Bleach, Naruto)
St. Wonbat (1 credit, In-Between Animation)
Won Pat (0 credits)
It's really sad that this company (ウォンバット) has neither a website nor a Wikipedia page.

And what about this one:
J.C. Staff (>100 credits, website)
JC Staff (17 credits)
J. C. Staff (0 credits)
JC Stuff (0 credits)
JCS International (1 credit for Co-Coloring, this anime produced by J.C.Staff...?)
The Japanese Wikipedia page for J.C.STAFF names this company "J.C.STAFF Co.,Ltd.".
The website's HTML page has a keywords list with "JCSTAFF" and "J.C.STAFF", so apparently no whitespace should be in this name.
Kraker2k

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
AIC Spirits - www . animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=3866
A.I.C Spirits - www . animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=6702

These two are the same company, the official website [www . anime-int.com/company/spirits.html] names themselves as "AIC Spirits". The site also lists some of the anime they have done which can be found in one list but not the other proving they are the same.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:

OLM Digital (14 staff) and
Oriental Light and Magic (ca. 100 staff)
both share the same website http://www.olm.co.jp/ (and ANN obviously does no uniqueness check for this field).
This company has an English Website as well, showing that the OLM group is: Olm Inc., Olm Digital Inc, Viracocha, and Sprite Animation Studios.
The Japanese Wikipedia page for オー・エル・エム also shows that OLM Team Koitabashi belongs to this company as well (and OLM Team Boitabashi is a spelling error).

There does seem to be a distinction between OLM Digital who do CG work and OLM who do cell animation.

----

ingresA and Ingres-A.
Project 4 and Project4.

----

APPP
Studio A.P.P.P

I'm assuming these are the same given the name. Note that of the two, only "Studio A.P.P.P" has a homepage link, but that page does not itself actually say "Studio" on it anywhere (it specifically refers to "Another Push Pin Planning" and "A.P.P.P Co., Ltd.")

While there are a lot of search results for the English "studio a.p.p.p" there are very few for the Japanese "スタジオ a.p.p.p".

----

ACTAS, Inc.
Actas

----

Pierrot
Studio Pierrot

Both have the same homepage URL and the homepage title is Studio ぴえろ.

----

Def.c
Def. C
DEF C

(the latter two only have three credits between them - and two of those are for the same series)

----

I suspect that the following are one-and-the-same, although it will be hard to prove given that it is only two characters and pretty generic.

AI
A I
A.I.

----

月刊『ドラゴンジュニア』:
Dragon Junior
Dragon Jr.
Comic Dragon Jr.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
cat_clan wrote:

楽音舎:
Gakuonsha - Bad reading
Rakuonsha - Correct
Rakuonsya - Alternate romanization

These three are still hanging around, but cat_clan provided the same URL for two of them which I have corrected in the quote.

The Japanese wiki confirms it should be read as らくおんしゃ and there are at least two music stores in Japan with the same name (Rakuonsha and Rakuonshya). Since we are using Wikipedia MOS-JA as a guideline, we are using revised Hepburn so Rakuonsha is indeed the correct romanization.

----

Dream Force
Dream Force Co., Ltd.

The Dream Force site says "有限会社ドリーム・フォース" at the top of the first page which basically translates as "Dream Force Co., Ltd." so they are the same thing, and Grappler Baki is listed on the site.

----

F.A.I. International
Fai INTERNATIONAL

----

Studio Elle
Studio L

I've seen スタジオエル in credits, and my first assumption was that this is "Studio L" and, since it exists in the database and has a lot of credits, assumed my assumption was correct. Seeing Studio Elle in the credits for the Highlander movie gave me pause however, and I found we had an entry for that also - along with a site link which confirms that スタジオエル should be romanised as Studio Elle (or studioelle).

----

TMS Photo
Toms Photo

The TMS Entertainment page for 株式会社トムス・フォト site says "Tomsphoto".

----

Q-Tec
Q-Tec, Inc.
Q-tec Inc.
Qtec

Logo at the top of the site says Qtec. Copyright notice at the bottom says Q-tec, Inc. - as do the Highlander movie credits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tiamat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Media Factory, Inc. is a double of Media Factory, however, Media Factory has to most information.

The full name of the company is Media Factory, Inc.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
飛龍動画 is listed as

Hiryu Animation
Hiryu Doga
Hiryu-Doga

Oh, looks like there's more:

Flying Dragon Cartoon Studio

There's also 杭州飛龍動画有限公司 which may or may not be related

Hangzhou Flying Dragon Cartoon Co., Ltd.
Hangzhou Flying Dragon Cartoon Company, Ltd.
Hangzhou Flying Dragon Cartoon Co, Ltd.

If there's two companies here I wouldn't be surprised if there was some cross-pollination between them, but I've only spot checked the source links.

----

Oh! Production
Oh production
Oh!Production

----

Studio Lincoln
Lincoln

I doubt there are two anime dubbing studios in France called Lincoln.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
杭州飛龍動画有限公司 I'm pretty sure that's the accurate markup for Hangzhou I've seen it around many times. I don't know the official name I've just been using Hangzhou Flying Dragon Cartoon Co., Ltd. I think that had the most entries when I started adding the company. Now the majority of the entries are back to me. I think Flying Dragon Cartoon maybe a short hand version of Hangzhou. Possibly I can't be certain
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Daejin
Daejin Animation

Another case of inconsistency in credits and people not searching properly before creating new companies.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Lots of different romanizations for this one: (トランスアーツ)
TRANS-ARTS (1 credit, Photography)
Trans Art Co. (2 credits, Animation Production)
Trans Arts Co., (0 credits)
Trans Arts Co. (>50 credits including GitS SSS, website)
Transarts (8 credits, Animation Production, same website)
Trance Arts (5 credits including GitS SSS, Cooperation / In-Between Animation)
Trance Art Corporation (2 credits, Photography / In-Between Animation)
The Japanese Wikipedia page for トランス・アーツ gives a company name of "TRANS ARTS", the website gives a reading of "TransArts".

You can also add Transart to the list - no credits as I've already corrected the single credit there.
As additional evidence for Trance/Trans - they are credited for Negima as "トランス・アーツ" on the first Japanese DVD and "Trance Arts" on the first English DVD.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
In reference to asterphage's posting from 2006 about duplicates of Tsuburaya:
Tsuburaya IEZO (person) and
Eizo TSUBURAYA (person) are both misinterpretations of
Tsuburaya Eizo (company).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
In reference to asterphage's posting from 2006 about duplicates of Tsuburaya:
Tsuburaya IEZO (person) and
Eizo TSUBURAYA (person) are both misinterpretations of
Tsuburaya Eizo (company).

Since there is no way to merge people and companies you'd probably be best re-entering them correctly and flagging errors.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Done, but this alone won't take care of the existing entries.
(Will these "persons" forever exist in the ANN database?)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
(Will these "persons" forever exist in the ANN database?)

Unfortunately yes. However, those erroneous input records help us to filter out unreliable submitters. There are companies named "Animation Production," "Adaptation," etc., obviously submitted by people who weren't careful enough to tell where to enter company name and task.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:

Someone from the company has submitted the following as "other information":
The official name of JN Productions is JN Productions, Inc. You have another listing under this official name, but we are one and the same company. Please consolidate the two title listings.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
Ogura Kobo (9 credits for background art, http://www.ogura-koubou.co.jp/, 小倉 工房, of which 工房 = こうぼう = koubou = workshop, studio)
has the following duplicates:
  • Ogura Atelier (1 credit for background art)
  • Ogura Workshop (8 credits for background art)
  • Ogura KOBO (person!, 2 credits for background arts, added for company & flagged as errors, these can be deleted)

Probably a different company is
Ogura Jimusyo Inc. (1 credit for production of a live-action movie)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ANN has two suspiciously similar companies:
  • MI (24 staff for various animation task, mostly in-betweening and finish, including several Gundam and Pokemon credits)
  • EMUAI (61 staff for various animation task, mostly in-betweening and finish, including several Gundam and Pokemon credits)
Both would be written エムアイ in katakana, which is what the kanji sources use. Unfortunately neither has a website or a Wikipedia page. Any idea where to find information whether these are actually the same, and what would be the official company name?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 34