• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Eva Concept Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
Peter Jackson is directing King Kong because he wants to direct King Kong, not Eva. As far as I know Cameron has no plans to make Eva. Alain Resnais would be perfect, but there's no hope.

Anyway, Anno rightly said that they should be loyal to the spirit of Eva, not the letter. In other words thay shouldn't worry about squeezing every little plot point into the movie(s,) they should make a movie that entertains, surprises and perplexes us the way Eva did.

Anyway it ain't getting made right now, and will probably not happen. I'd welcome a good Eva movie, laugh at a bad one. Heck, they could have Paris Hilton direct from a script by The Houston Oilers and I'd be first in line.

Last edited by Aaron White on Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
soupcan58

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
eva.trivialbeing.net has had the pics, including the Angel, on their site for about a year now. Go there if you want to see som extra stuff that wasn't on the WETA site.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
tiredgamer: The Hobbitt won't happen until New Line's willing to allow Sony a piece of the action.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
My god, it's beautiful.

"On hold", huh? I guess it's not much of a surprise. That's some pretty awesome concept art, though. I've been having to live off those handful of pictures before, but this is just looking better and better.

And I don't think is going to get too "Hollywoodized". Chances are there's going to be at least one sci-fi director EVA fan who will be willing to do this and keep it "true". (Like the whole deal with Sin City.)
Stueypark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It dosen't have to match the series to the letter. (especially since Gainax has, what? 3 different episodes 25 & 26) Despite how a lot of people focus on robots, and religion and such, the focus of the story was really psychological, and mainly on Shinji. It wouldn't be a stretch to put the same psychological drama in a 2-3 hour film.

Heck look at Hitchhikers guide, neither film matches the book which they were based off of, and the book dosen't match the radio drama it was based off, yet all are generally popular and share the same feel.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
if by "big shot producer" means ADV and Gainax, they're the only ones behind the project so far, but neither has the money to produce it which is why WETA was commissioned to create all this art and such, for promotional material.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, some news on this is better than nothing. That artwork is damn impressive, I could see myself going to an Evangelion film just to see the impressive production values that WETA woud bring to it. I agree with comments that the human character designs (not the suits themselves) aren't particularly impressive and sort of detract from the excellent suit designs.

I like the look of the Evangelions, but they look too organic if the script really is set in the first third of the series. The mounting horror of seeing these things turn from semi-controlled robotic servants to organic, predatory creatures of destruction over the course of the series was one of the coolest features of the whole concept. Well, if they skip that part, at least they'll still look impressive as hell.

Also, the set designs look very good. The hanger has much more of a military/scientific feel to it than I thought it possessed in the show, where it seemed to be there only as a placeholder location. It was difficult to imagine it at times as the most advanced military base in the world.

I also appreciate that Misato still has that hip stylish look while having a uniform that makes her appear to be military personnell. I could never figure out why she always seemed to be dressed as though she were walking around a mall in the midst of flocks of lab coats and army uniforms. Hopefully, Gendo and his assistant (can't remember his name) will get similar treatment.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I really want to see this, even though I don't know too much about the NGE series. The art though, oooooooohhh.
Shirasagi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
I like the look of the Evangelions, but they look too organic if the script really is set in the first third of the series. The mounting horror of seeing these things turn from semi-controlled robotic servants to organic, predatory creatures of destruction over the course of the series was one of the coolest features of the whole concept. Well, if they skip that part, at least they'll still look impressive as hell.

Yeah. I'm not too sure about EVA-00 and EVA-02 having jaws. I'm especially not sure about that picture of EVA-00 peering out from the skyscrapers. Reminds me of the Budweiser "Whassup!" commercials.

Cool designs. Can't fault 'em for that.

thecactusman17 wrote:
I also appreciate that Misato still has that hip stylish look while having a uniform that makes her appear to be military personnell.

Again, I agree. Her outfit kinda reminds me of the Lost in Space movie, for some reason. The plug-suit designs are cool ("Pod Suits"?). And I know the humans wearing them are just there for display purposes, and that they might try and find actors to match the original character designs, but I just have to comment:

Kate Mulgrew is Asuka Langley-Soryu! Razz

Oh, and Gendo's second-in-command was named Kouzou Fuyutsuki.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
For all the people that say "I saw this a year ago", yes, some of it is old. But some of those pictures haven't been seen online before (eva.trivialbeing.net doesn't have them all, or at least didn't 24 hours ago).

What's more, having the work on an official site is news, even if it's long after the work was on fan-sites.

Last but not least, the "on-hold" bit deserved news space.

The news isn't a warez fight, sure, we try to get the latest news right away, that part is similar, but unlike warez, old news is still news.

-t
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Shirasagi wrote:
Kate Mulgrew is Asuka Langley-Soryu! :P

I vote Dominique Swain. Although she'll probably be too old if and when the movie gets made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Last but not least, the "on-hold" bit deserved news space.

To expound a bit, on hold really doesn't mean anything special. It will be "on hold" until they get a director, and then it will be, in effect, "on hold" again until they find backing for it. Of course, from Weta's perspective, it will be "on hold" until they are actively gearing up for production.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
tiredgamer: The Hobbitt won't happen until New Line's willing to allow Sony a piece of the action.

Aw damn. Ian ain' getting any younger! Anime cry
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
If PJ ends up directing, my hopes for this film will skyrocket.

Some how the person who made Titanic just doesn't seem like the kind of person who could direct a movie like Eva. PJ would work better since he has more experince with the fantasy genre...although LotR is very different from Eva Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Still, at least there's some vague hope of it getting a good director.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, since I really want to see it, it would suck to have crappy movie come out. If it comes out, that is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4