• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Scarlet Ammo Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
Does complete avoidance count as "improper viewing"?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:
Arrogant...? Crying or Very sad

Suggesting that there are literally no bad anime and the only reason anyone has ever disliked an anime is because they weren't watching it "correctly" is arrogant, yeah.

Not to mention one of the most monumentally absurd things I've ever heard anyone say in my entire career on this site and elsewhere, but yeah.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I got your back Mark. This whole review seems to walk in with completely incorrect expectations of this anime. It's over the top humor, enough said. I've been having a blast with Aria the Scarlet Ammo. Haters gonna hate.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Does complete avoidance count as "improper viewing"?

From what I've seen of this show, it seems to be the best way to enjoy it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
momogoldfish wrote:
MarkJr92892 wrote:
[quote="Sanosuke_Inara
I wasn't kidding in the least. I, quite literally, believe that there is no such thing as unenjoyable anime, just improperly viewed anime. Just like with Tono to Issho, Battle Girls: Time Paradox, Toriko, SKET Dance, A Bridge to the Starry Skies, and We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky (my favourite comedy of this season and, depending on how it ends, of all time) Aria the Scarlet Ammo is a show I very much enjoy.

Be sure to note the lack of emoticons in this post. There are none here to communicate that I am not being the least bit sarcastic when I post thus: Aria the Scarlet Ammo is very enjoyable. I find the jokes well connected and the mysteries exceedingly interesting.

As well, so as to understand the perspective wherefrom I dervie my possition, I do not watch anything other than anime and Discovery-Chanel-esque shows. Similarly, I rarely watch movies. The last movie I saw is Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

...um can you not lump Sket Dance into your group of 'examples', I actually found that quite entertaining in its Gintama-in-High-School kinda way...

sket dance is funny, and it parodies the heck out of stuff yet still has a lot of heart when it wants to
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I somehow made it through the first episode of this show... Carl's review is pretty generous. The only good thing about this show is delicious trollsubs which it totally deserves.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Ushio wrote:
In other words all the good light novels have already been animated and there scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I highly doubt that. They just animate the same kind of novels all the time.

My Mount Rushmore of light novel-adaptation is Scrapped Princess, Spice and Wolf, Durarara, Garden of Sinners, and Read or Die. None of this Manic Pixie Rom-Com crap that seems to bring all the other boys to the yard. Admittedly, Familiar of Zero and Index are close, but I seem to more interested in everything but The Girl with those two, and they do have issues with staying power.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Ushio wrote:
In other words all the good light novels have already been animated and there scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I highly doubt that. They just animate the same kind of novels all the time.

Yeah! All the same kind, like Book Girl and Kino's Journey, Gosick and Full Metal Panic, Guin Saga and Ghost Hunt....

Its all the same stuff!
crimsonsplat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I admit it. I only watch this series for the lulz. It's over-the-top stupid and cannot be taken seriously. Every now and then, it comes up with something so idiotic I have to laugh.

And no, Zac's not always right. He's just wrong with good logic. Laughing
Max465

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I enjoy Aria, but I enjoy a lot of things. Sometimes watching mindless boring anime is fun for me, or just a way to distract me from boredom.

Anyway, in the case of the Anime, they left out a lot of explanation. For example(I'm not going to worry about spoiler tags, because most of you have probably either already seen this far into the series, or just don't give a damn, but I'm warning you know, if you don't like spoilers, don't read this post), Riko being the Butei Killer is hinted at several times in both the light novel and the recent manga spin off, so it doesn't feel as random and out of place. On top of that there is an explanation as to how she got on the plane before Kinji. Aria's character is still rather annoying, but she feels just a little more fleshed out in the manga.

Without these things I can see how one would be frustrated at the Anime, but the light novel/manga is a decent read for anyone willing.
Yamato-san

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Max465 wrote:
Aria's character is still rather annoying, but she feels just a little more fleshed out in the manga.

isn't it like that with every light novel character voiced by Kugimiya? At least that's what I hear; I have yet to read the light novel to any of these series myself, but some comments here and there leave me with the impression that her characters actually might NOT be some of the most obnoxiously childish and irredeemably bitchy characters in all of Japanese media. I could at least assume that not every chapter of Zero no Tsukaima ended with some cheap gag that involves Louise's dislike for breasts prompting her to get out the whip, right?

It's really quite a shame, as I genuinely do think she has a pretty cute voice (albeit lacking in variety), but pair her up with J.C. Staff, and there's nothing but trouble abound. Really, every time, it's like they feel the need to cash in on Shana's success, so they find a novel with a stout tsundere main and just pigeonhole her to death. Follow that up with half-assed writing to a shoe-horned romance plot, and Kugimiya being forced to go into "urusai!"-ish temper tantrums that just makes me lower my head in disgust (makes me pity the male leads who're doomed to be stuck with her just because, moreso when they end up with a harem full of better girls).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3